“A great place to eat” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Hunters Lodge Inn

Hunters Lodge Inn
Ranked #2 of 35 Restaurants in Axminster
Cuisines: Bar, British, Pub
Good for: Dining on a budget, Large groups, Kids, Families with children, Special occasions, Local cuisine, Bar scene, Business meetings
Dining options: Brunch, Late Night, Dinner, Lunch, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Validated Parking, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Description: 'Our 16th Century Coaching Inn commands an enviable position, conveniently situated on the main A35 where Devon & Dorset meet, between the bustling market town of Axminster, and the beautiful seaside town of Lyme Regis, the gateway to the Jurassic Coast.Neville & I along with our fantastic team, have worked very hard over the past 12 years to ensure that everyone who passes through our door can enjoy a fabulous range of home cooked traditional Pub Fayre - from sandwiches & light lunches through to super steaks sourced locally by our Butcher Duncan, from Honiton,& fresh fish from West Bay, Portland and Brixham. Come and enjoy a meal with us in clean, warm & comfortable surroundings. We offer an extensive menu with something for everyone, along with daily homemade specials and fabulous fresh homemade desserts.We have 3 separate dining areas and can cater for a total of 80 persons, or functions of up to 40 in our restaurant. We are proud of our 5 star food hygiene rating from East Devon District Council and also of our Tripadvisor reviews and seal of excellence for 2013 & 2014.We have extensive parking, are doggie friendly, and have large gardens & play area - families are most welcome.We are sure you will enjoy your visit to The Hunters Lodge and very much look forward to welcoming you!
Melksham
“A great place to eat”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 5, 2012

As we stayed at Hedgehog corner just down the road we thought it would be ideal for an evening meal as it is only a couple of hundred yards away. What a good choice, we ate in the restaurant, very pleasent surroundings, the food was excellent, we both had the steak, I would consider myself a big eater but even I was unable to eat it all. The service was second to none, efficient, but not to the point where we felt that we were being bothered, when we return to Hedgehog corner in the future we ill be booking a table at the Hunters Lodge.

Visited November 2012
sarah c, Owner at Hunters Lodge Inn, responded to this review, December 14, 2012
Thank you so much for your kind review - we are always happy to welcome folks from Hedgehog Corner, and grateful to Joy and her staff for pointing them in our direction.
We look forward to welcoming you again!
Many thans again,
Best wishes, Sarah Causley

Caerphilly
“Recommended”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 29, 2012

Called in Sunday for lunch on our way back home to South Wales after a weekend break.Nice and friendly,the food was lovely in fact the wife said the veggie option was the nicest she had tasted and thats saying something!Nice feel to the place and will be back again in our caravan!

• 5 of 5 bubbles
Thank you for your review! - We look forward to welcoming you again soon when you are next visiting your caravan.
Kind regards
Sarah Causley
High Seas
“Lovely, kind people”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 28, 2012

I didn't mean to go to the Hunters Lodge Inn. I was just driving past it, and this was where I happened to break down. It was cold and dark and my signal wasn't very good so I went in to ask if I could use the phone.

The friendliness of the staff made the stressful situation into just a mere inconvenience.

I was offered use of the telephone, coffee (which the guy behind the bar would not accept payment for) and was then offered the wifi code so I could chat to my friends online while waiting for help to arrive.

The pub was warm and welcoming and the coffee was delicious. I would definitely recommend this place on it's warmth and friendliness alone. If I'm ever driving that way, I would stop there again, even if I don't break down.

• 5 of 5 bubbles
Thank you for writing a review - we are glad we were able to help, and hope you will be able to stop by again under less stressful cirumstances.
Best wishes, Sarah Causley
Berkhamsted, United Kingdom
“good meals”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 23, 2012

Stayed in Axminster for 5 nights & ate here on recommendation from our hosts for the first evening. Having really enjoyed this we returned twice more.My husband particularly enjoyed the 'savoury ducks' (this website will not let us put the English word for them beginning with 'F') with cheesy mash & the Morrocan chicken (quite hot!).
Excellent menu choice & some changes on each visit. Very friendly & helpful staff with good service.Comfortable surroundings, great value!

• 4 of 5 bubbles
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
sarah c, Owner at Hunters Lodge Inn, responded to this review, October 24, 2012
Thank you so much for taking the time to write a review. We are glad you chose to dine with us - and then to return again!
- I had to chuckle when i read your review as I haven't a clue what you meant by the 'Savoury Ducks' ? I am guessing maybe it was our butchers delicious meat balls you tried as they are served with the Cheddar Mash? - anyway, we are just glad your husband enjoyed them! -and the Morrocan chicken, well that was a new dish we tried on the Specials last week for the first time - it did indeed prove popular, so we will be featuring it again in the future.
I hope we can welcome you again if you decide to holiday in the the area again, kind regards.
United Kingdom
“Nice meal”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 22, 2012

Started off as a great evening meal. Gluten free options clearly marked on the menu. Food was nice and plenty of it. As I have experienced recently in other places, the service tends to fade as the evening progresses. After the restaurant had quietened down it still took a long time for our table to be cleared, and I thought we would never be asked if we wanted dessert. No complaints about the food though.

Visited October 2012
sarah c, Owner at Hunters Lodge Inn, responded to this review, October 23, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to write a review - it is much appreciated. We were glad to hear you enjoyed your meal.
Please be assured we take all comments and criticisms very seriously and therefore will be passing on your comments regarding service to all our staff members; we will continue to encourage them to maintain an awareness of customer needs at all times, as this, along with the quality of food we serve, is extremely important to us.
With best wishes.