“Great lunch venue!”

Ranked #4 of 37 Restaurants in Axminster
Cuisines: British
Good for: Local cuisine
Reviewed July 28, 2014

My husband and I enjoyed a great lunch at the Canteen. We had a veggie and a fish sharer board both of which were great in portion size and had a brilliant variety of things on them. The salt cod fishcakes were really good and so was the pickled mackerel. Our waiter was great and gave good recommendations for additional sides that we might like and drinks. I wish I lived closer as it's somewhere I would like to go to more often. I'd also strongly recommend it for a coffee as the Americano I had was one of the best in the area!

Write a ReviewReviews (2,338)

Reviewed July 28, 2014

We had a lovely meal at RC Canteen in Axminster last Friday evening. The waitress was knowledgeable and friendly without being obtrusive. The menu was a delight and we enjoyed all courses and also the delightful Blackberry gins at the start. We felt as though we had had a great dining experience and the freshness of the local seasonal food followed Hugh's beliefs. The service was paced perfectly, the prices in line with expectation and the atmosphere was relaxed. Exactly what we were after - expectations were fulfilled and I would happily visit again.

Reviewed July 28, 2014

Being a fan of the River Cottage genre, we were really excited to finally get to the River Cottage Canteen. It was outstanding. Great service from all the staff, nothing too much trouble, great food and drink and a lovely family atmosphere. It absolutely lived up to a wonderful reputation and we are now really keen to go back as soon as we can for another wonderful meal and night out generally.

Reviewed July 27, 2014

I expected the food to have taste and a little variety however when I selected steamed vegetables I was very surprised to be given a plate of plain cabbage! Always ask what the vegetable of the day is. The meat board only had 2 different meats which were both tomato based that drowned the taste of the meat and contained a lot of fat. I also chose the Cherry Posset and Biscotti but nearly lost a tooth trying to eat it. I understand from locals that it is a bit hit and miss. Clearly I went on the wrong day.

Reviewed July 25, 2014 via mobile

Really can't be bothered to be overly descriptive as the night was such a disappointing affair. In simple terms very average food served exceedingly slowly at an inflated price by staff who have an unattractive arrogant stride!Really can't see why people rate this place - awful!!

3  Thank Andy P