“Great service, lovely food”

River Cottage Canteen
Ranked #4 of 35 Restaurants in Axminster
Cuisines: British, Soups
Good for: Special occasions, Kids, Large groups, Families with children, Local cuisine
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Brunch, Breakfast, Lunch, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
London
“Great service, lovely food”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 4, 2014

The canteen is quite laid-back in both the decor, and also in the friendly and fun attitude of the staff we met.
We had expected to do the set menu offer, but on the night the vegetarian option was outshone by another main meal on the menu so I went for that instead. The cheese goujons with baby beets and pea shoot salad was delicious and every mouthful was very flavoursome.
We ordered some extra chips as we were expecting teensy portions, but actually we need not have worried as the main meal was filling on its own.
We had gone quite out of our way to visit the restaurant, and had booked in advance to make sure we got in ok. It was worth the extra miles, and we enjoyed it very much. We would happily go back again.

• Visited July 2014

Bridgnorth, United Kingdom
“Fantastic local produce, cooked perfectly!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 4, 2014 via mobile

We headed for River Cottage Canteen for lunch, as soon as we arrived in the area, before we had even booked into our accommodation. We had high expectations, as I am sure everyone has before visiting, due to the TV profile of River Cottage.
We had booked online on the drive down, which was advised on the website to avoid disappointment. We were led through into the large, light and airy restaurant area, which had good vibe about it.
All the staff were very friendly and there was a good choice of local produce to choose from. We both really enjoyed our food which was reasonably priced including drinks.
We returned for breakfast the day we left, this time we sat in the front area and opted for the full breakfast, which was locally sourced, perfectly cooked and very tasty. As big foodies, if we were local residents, we would be in here all the while!
Thanks guys for a fantastic first visit to the River Cottage Canteen.

Visited July 2014
Southampton
“Qualty and interest for a reasonable price”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 3, 2014

We were given a £50 voucher last Christmas for a meal at River Cottage (a good idea...recommended!). We were not disappointed and the meal for 2 of us just met the voucher without drinks. My husband chose the £20 (just under) three course menu which had two choices for starter, main and dessert. His Gazpacho was very well received, especially on a warm summer evening and the main of pork belly was a hefty size but strangely he had plenty of mixed vegetables but no potatoes. This did not matter as I had more than enough to share. My choice was a la carte with sardine starter followed by perfectly cooked merlin (a local fish I believe). We both had panacotta with gooseberry compot, and "thank you Hugh" I now have a nice idea...put cardomon in with your gooseberries. Ambience is, you could say, unpretentious. It seemed a warehouse or large garage had been taken over and furnished with wooden tables and chairs...very light and airy. The volume of "chatter" indicated people were happily enjoying themselves.
You need to book!! This place is popular. You can buy books and something from the deli after your meal with 10% off. (The deli closes normally at 5pm).
We had a lovely day in the countryside and a delightful evening meal to finish. Christmas in June was an excellent idea!

• Visited June 2014
Nottingham, United Kingdom
“Perfect Lunch Spot”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 3, 2014

We were staying nearby so popped into Axminster to visit the market and have lunch at the Canteen. As fans of the River Cottage cookbooks we had reasonably high expectations which were fulfilled. It is an informal dining space but very well done, with enthusiastic capable serving staff. We opted for the lunch menu which at £12.50 a head, was we felt, good value. I was happy with my fish and chips and my vegetarian partner really enjoyed her risotto. Of the deserts the rhubarb pana cotta was memorable. We hope to visit again soon.

Visited June 2014
Terrigal, Australia
“River Cottage: Any time of the year!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 1, 2014

I visited Axminster solely to experience the River Cottage HQ and received a special bonus when I had the opportunity to also visit the River Cottage Canteen and Deli at Trinity Square. Please don't miss it. The food is superb, the staff are very welcoming and friendly - especially to solo travellers! - and the ambience is comfortable and homely. The canteen was fully booked. I was the first to arrive at 6.30pm. Enjoyed watching the friendly, welcoming staff in action. The Beetroot Gazpacho was breathtakingly tasty - I wish I could pass-on the taste sensation in this review! I chose the Ruby Red steak and it was done to perfection and complemented with delicious perfectly-cooked broad beans, carrots and cauliflower. My side order of steamed greens added the extra nutrition and was tasty. I have to confess I left nothing on my plate! Lots of naughty desserts but I chose a not-so-naughty raspberry and elderflower jelly with three raspberries and mint inside! Accompanied by some vanilla ice cream. The perfect ending for a perfect meal.

• Visited June 2014