“Wonderful food and not as pricey as you might think”

River Cottage Canteen
Ranked #4 of 36 Restaurants in Axminster
Cuisines: British
Good for: Local cuisine
Reviewed July 11, 2013

I've been here twice, and unfortunately the second time wasn't quite as good as the first but I'm going to put that down to bad ordering and focus on my first amazing visit!

The main course I chose (pork belly with crackling, served on celeriac mash with cider gravy and garlic and herbed green veg) was to this day one of the best meals I've ever eaten in my life! Absolutely everything was cooked to perfection - I will forever wonder how on earth they got the crackling so perfect!

I've been to a few restaurants that have a big celebrity chef's name attached to them (Jamie's Italian, Brasserie Blanc etc) and have been let down by the complete mediocre quality of the food purely selling off of the back of a big name. So I was delighted to find out that this place wasn't like that at all. They really were cooking incredible food, worthy of such a big name.

The restaurant is fairly big with a nice relaxed atmosphere and it has a deli attached where you can buy delicious ingredients.

Best of all, it really isn't that expensive. My sister and I took my Mum here for her birthday so we picked up the bill. The three of us had a 3-course meal each and we shared 2 bottles of prosecco and it came to the bargain price of £90 all in - had we all been paying that would have been a mere £30 each (I've had a Frankie and Benny's more expensive than that!)

1  Thank Spu86
Write a ReviewReviews (2,277)

Reviewed July 8, 2013

We called in to The Canteen in Axminster today (a party of 6 ) I ordered the lunch- time local caught fish platter £12.50. (for sharing) for myself as a main course.
The meal consisted of 3 small mussels in a vinaigrette, some crab on toast and 2 Pollock deep fried balls in home-made Mayonnaise. My friend ordered mussels which came without the white wine and cream sauce, which they had to ask for.
I would have expected more to eat than the above. Perhaps some whitebait or local Mackerel and a few prawns with shell on and some bread with butter.
I am more than happy to pay my way, and for the hard working staff to earn a decent wage. But I wont be going again sorry
Helen Haines..... Oxford

1  Thank helenlilianhaines
Reviewed July 7, 2013

Wandered in off the street at 11.30 on a Sunday. Loitered around for ages waiting for a member of staff to acknowledge us and finally had to go and interrupt their chatting to ask if we could just sit anywhere. Waited nearly ten minutes for someone to take a drinks order. Waited for drinks to arrive. Nearby tables who had stated (like us) that they would be having lunch at 12 were given menus. We were ignored, drinks now empty and our waitress has migrated to the back dining area where she's chatting away to other staff. There's only one poor waitress covering all the tables in the front which is now full and three to four staff covering the back which is nearly empty. Eventually I got up and asked for a menu. We had the smoked pollack fritters and the sardines, both with chips. Although they forgot my husbands chips initially and we had to ask for them. The food was very tasty, we both really enjoyed it, nice fresh fish and the chips were served with homemade aololi. To top it off we asked for the bill and were presented with another parties £97 bill instead of our £35 one! I wish the quality of the wait staff matched the quality of the food. Our original waitress scowled the whole time and was barely even civil to us. The second was much more polite but rushed off her feet and not coping very well. We did end up leaving a healthy tip, not because we were happy with the service but because we felt sorry for the poor girl doing all the work!
You definitely need to book if you're intending to have lunch on a Sunday, by half twelve they were having to ask people to come back in an hour or more for a table.

Reviewed July 5, 2013

Booked but may have got in without reservation. Had Tuesday night special - 3 courses for £19.95. Friendly welcome, interesting menu of fresh, local produce. Crab on toast starter was very tasty and not too big. Came with dressed leaves. Main of mussels (with a side dish of chips to share) was good but sauce was a little salty for my taste. Service was very good - attentive but not fussy. Would definitely go again.

1  Thank Stella C
Reviewed July 5, 2013

We stopped in here for a mid-week meal and had a great time, would definitely go back. Food was excellent, all local produce and you can taste the freshness, service was very good too and the venue albiet simple suits the menu well. We had the fixed price mid-week special menu and there was plenty to chose from.

1  Thank Richard G