“Disappointed”

Ranked #5 of 37 Restaurants in Axminster
Cuisines: British
Good for: Local cuisine
Reviewed May 12, 2013

We are keen followers of all river cottage shows etc so were looking forward to having dinner at the RC canteen whilst in Axminster, unfortunately we were left disappointed, the food was fine, rustic as expected, but the service was below par, we felt rushed and our waitress was like a German machine, not personable at all, seemed keen to push us through so as could get another sitting in I expect, but then left us hanging for 20 plus mins when we wanted to pay the bill! Seeing as we came half way round the world for the experience it has left a slightly bitter taste.

Write a ReviewReviews (2,428)

Reviewed May 9, 2013 via mobile

Very, very average. The service was poor and the ablutions below par. The decor and deli with Abraham selling his spelt breads made it slightly more than it was! The menu was sparse and overall didn't meet with our expectations or indeed with that of three other couples who walked in and then out moments later.

Reviewed May 6, 2013

Sunday lunch on 5th May for my 14 year old son, husband and I. It's a beautiful roomy, unpretentious restaurant. The atmosphere felt good in both deli area and further back near the kitchens. No traditional Sunday lunch fare - but a small menu filled with beautiful fresh ingredients. Staff were very helpful, relaxed, knowledgeable, friendly - really in keeping with the decor. Prices were on a par and cheaper than many London restaurants. I was pleasantly surprised. Sharing boards £12.50; first courses £5; main courses from £9 to £15.50 (side dishes add £2).
We shared a 'locally sourced fish board'; followed with Oat coated gurnard (husband), beef cheeks, mash, greens, salsa verde (son) and Khabuki bean, wasabi & nut salad (me). Every plate was delicious. My son raved over every mouthful, wondering why I can't make beef and mashed potatoes taste that good! Hmmm.
If visiting the area again (and I hope we do), this will be a 'must return every time' experience for us!

Reviewed May 5, 2013

Staying in Axminster and had rejected this among list of places to eat as we thought it would be horribly expensive and full of thirty something trendies. Not so. After having just a coffee at Sunday lunchtime, (with staff making us feel just as important as if we were eating a full lunch)we were able to book for the Tuesday evening and had a super 2 course meal with glass of wine and coffee that came to £44.60 total. We enjoyed it so much that we rebooked for the next evening too. There were only two staff on that second evening and it was busy, but they coped magnificently with professionalism and good humour. The food was delicious and we could happily have chosen anything on the menu. My gurnard was a fish I've never tried before, but with lentils, beetroot and seakale was unusual and satisfying. The risotto was creamy and full of interesting crunchy nutty bits. Lemon fumble was a lovely sharp lemon curd and cream layered affair, and the chocolate parfait was a chocoholic's dream, bitter, fresh and softening as you ate it. My husband's Fowey mussels were huge, tasty and simply prepared in cream and cider sauce. His pear and frangipane tart was just the right size and full of flavour. The wine in glass was good. More expensive if in bottle, but that's normal for restos everywhere. Knowing that all the food was as local and fresh as possible, with the producers chalked up on a blackboard, is immensely satisfying. The place certainly fulfils its organic credentials. Only slight niggle for me, being shortsighted, it having to squint over other diners at the blackboard menu, but no doubt it's the best way of displaying menus that change frequently according to supply. The deli is well worth looking at for local cheese, beer, cider and other produce, and great for presents.

Reviewed May 3, 2013

You have to walk through the deli to get to the canteen. It might sound obvious but at night with no lights on or staff around it would be easy to think it was closed! Perhaps a note for the management, we were stood at the counter for quite a few minutes until we heard noise coming from the back and decided to follow it.

The canteen had a great buzzy atmosphere when we arrived and I was excited to be eating there. I was slightly disappointed with the menu, it was a little flat in my opinion, but the food that was a good standard. I can't put my finger on what was missing, it just didn't have the wow factor that I was hoping for (this could perhaps be due to us eating at Hix the previous night which was amazing).

The staff were friendly and helped with our questions on the food, cocktails and local area.

Good meal. Good value for money. No wow factor.