“Against expectations”
Review of Gregoris Hotel

Gregoris Hotel
Ranked #13 of 14 Hotels in Nidri
Reviewed September 18, 2011

Having read many reviews on this accomodation we thought 'what the hec, its the Island we've come to experience, not the odd individual.' However, when we first met Mr Gregoris and exchanged greetings in Greek he seemed pleasant and polite enough. Mrs Gregoris was 'unusual' but nevertheless always pleasant. Overall, they weren't the ogres we had read about. Maybe it was our effort to speak a few words of thier language. The cleaning staff were also cheery, efficient and well deserved the tip we left them. We stayed in room 15 which was very clean, roomy and comfy beds...honestly. It also offered a vista across waste land to a car park with the hills behind. There were, as advertised, no cooking facilities aside from the communal kitchen but there is really no need to cook with the range of restaurants, taverners and bakeries in town. The ones to note in our opinion were the Apollon and Maistrali, both will not let you leave until they have lavished you with numerous 'on the house' goodies. if you like take-aways a gyros pitta from the Gyros Club is a must. The bakeries offer an amazing range of waist expanding delicacies...which of course, must be tried.
One word of caution, if you cannot be tolerant of chickens, don't come here.

Room Tip: Room 12 offers a better vista
  • Stayed: August 2011, traveled as a couple

Reviewed August 21, 2011

We stayed at the Gregoris Apts in July 2011, and were very impressed! Having been to Nidri 7 times now, we had never stayed at these apartments before. The position was fantastic - overlooking the mountains, and away from the road, so nice and quiet. Our room was a little small, but what do you need when you're on holiday? Comfy beds, working bathroom, and a lovely big balcony with great views!! Having read other reviews before we travelled, we were a bit worried about staying here - but we had no problems at all. The owners were pleasant, in their own Greek way -and the cleaners were brilliant. We're never stayed anywhere where they actually clean your room EVERY day! And not too early either - 9.30/10am on our first week.
Fantastic apartments, with a lovely clean pool. A********

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled with friends
3  Thank littlepipit
Reviewed July 20, 2011

We have just returned from a 2 week stay at the Gregoris Rooms. On the whole we were very impressed, especially after the mixed reviews. We were met at the airport by Joanna the rep, who was very helpful. We were very pleased to be given our room number on the bus, room 12, after hearing from a previous poster that it was a good room.

Mr Gregoris was waiting for us with his truck, which everyone loaded and we walked to the apartments. They are in an ideal position, just a quick short cut from the main street, and very quiet, set in lovely grounds.

We were quite impressed with our room only studio, it was quite big, had a good wardrobe, TV (which went black after 5 mins, but who watches telly on hols?), and a hairdryer. There was a full size fridge, a kettle (good for Greece!!) and a hot ring, which we didn't use. Our balcony was fairly large, and we could see the pool. The shared kitchen just has a freezer, and a hot ring, so don't expect to cook. But at least its there.

On the down side, the beds were so uncomfortable, I could feel every spring, and every time I moved the bed made noises. It was 2 twin beds, and my hubby said his was just as bad. The cleaners start early, a couple of times we asked them not to come in, as we were having a lazy day. The whole place is very clean, the sheets and towels get changed on a Wednesday. Fine by us, as we went off for a 4 day break in the middle to Parga and the Vikos Gorge.

We didn't really have a lot to do with Mr and Mrs Gregrois, but they really aren't "people" orientated! When we got back from our trip it was so much hotter, so we went to the Panama restaurant which the owners run, to buy the air con remote. I had only 15 euros on me, so we asked for it for 2 nights, Mr G seemed very grumpy indeed, muttering and moaning to the waiter dealing with us. We paid on a Tuesday night at 10pm for 2 nights, when we got back to the room On Thursday lunch the cleaners had already taken the remote back, we thought we had it until 10!

In all it just seemed they didn't really like people, and didn't want to be pleasant. It didn't spoil anything for us, but there was lots of comments around the pool, joking about how if we swallowed any pool water we'd be charged ect. One young girl was swimming, her mum told her to wear a tshirt as she was burning, and she got really worried she'd be told off by Mr G. Quite rightly the mum saw sense and told her to wear the Tshirt as if he tried to stop her, and caused sunburn there would be issues!!

After his grumpiness, there was no way we wanted to eat in his restaurant though!

On the last day you have to be out of the room at 10, and load the truck with the bags. They get taken to the restaurant, and left there until the pick up at 5.30. Not hugely safe, as anyone can walk in. There are also no safe boxes at the hotel, or to hire from the rep. This worried us, as we always use the safe box for money and passports, but the whole place did seem very safe.

On the whole we loved out holiday, and Nidri is excellent. It was such a cheap holiday that really we didn't expect all that much anyway. One thing which would be helpful, but obviously not essential would be to have wifi available. I run my own business, all the bars and restaurants have it, so I could check in over a coffee, but to be able to so it from the room would be great.

The hotel is not with First Choice next season, hopefully if they have to fend for themselves the owners may start to be a bit more welcoming.

Room Tip: Room 12 was a great position, a nice size, and on the corner.
  • Stayed: July 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 4, 2011

I felt extremely disappointed with this hotel, maybe it was just my personal experience however I felt the need to share my experience.

Firstly positives rooms and kitchen are spacious and pool area is lovely. Close to the harbour.

Now the bad side, the beds we had were soooo uncomfortable-rock solid with the outline of the springs digging into my hips...i have never slept on such uncomfy beds. They are 2 single beds pushed up side by side.

Towels were only changed once during 7 days, I placed them in the shower to be changed as they needed changing and the cleaner just hung them on the balcony for all to see they were dirty!
Bedding again was only changed once, even though I had sadly cut myself and had a little blood on the bedsheet I pulled it off but the cleaner put the same one back on :(

Noise, the owners/cleaners were about from early in morning (7ish) shouting across the pool area. They always made their presence known- not friendly at all even when I sat on my balcony and they were stood in front of me I smiled and said hello - the lady just snarled - very strange behaviour! The owners always came back of an evening around 6.30ish to water plants etc...again raising voices, shouting across to each other. I went back in the room as I couldnt stand looking at them shouting across at each other.

Cleaners - what a nightmare they were, so so so rude, I have never experienced such rudeness. 10 am they wanted to come in, one morning my partner was just relaxing in the bathroom and she just walked in I asked if she would ust give us 10 mins, and she just stood outside the door :( Another morning I asked if she would just give us a little more time within 15 mins, she had just decided to come in anyway...they made me feel so uncomfortable. On the final day my partner went to put the first suitcase on the truck and the cleaner within 10 seconds came barging in past me, looking in the fridge and banging the doors! saying Key I need key!!! I said my partner has key and she just snatched it off him and pushed past him trying to put it in the door!!! I was so glad to be leaving here - never ever again will I stay in a place like this ..unbelievable.. I work very long hours and thought this would be a nice relaxing place to unwind, the staff were such a let down to Greece. I have stayed in many places in Greece but never experienced such rudeness.

On the checkout day, we loaded our suitcases on the truck, and had received a letter from thomson to ask if we could go down to the restaurant and help unload them. The owner turned up, didnt say anything just sort of walked round..we and only 1 other couple turned up so we had to unload everyone elses suitcases from the truck, what would the owner of done if none of us turned up!

If you do stay in Nidri, make sure you hire a boat for the day - fantastic and really enjoyable- highly reccommend...lots of fun ..

Room Tip: Just dont stay here, unless you want stress..
  • Stayed: June 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank African-holiday
Reviewed June 20, 2011

Just returned from 2 weeks at the Gregoris Appartments after reading some of the reviews we were a bit apprehensive. We arrived late at night and were met by Mr Gregoris asking for Joanna our lovely rep he sounded annoyed but that was not surprising we all were as we were two hours late and it was 10.45pm and the other flight was also late. We did the chicken run which is exactly as stated 5 mins walk and collected out luggage, we had a lovely surpise on entering the one bed appartment it was very spacious and very well equipped . The next moring we saw the pool which is very big and clean with loads of sunbeds and umbrellas. We went to the welcome meeting and were met by Mr Gregoris who smiled and said hello, when I went to the bar to get an ouzo to go in my orange he wouldnt take payment saying it was on him. Later in the day Mrs Gregoris came to water the plants we were on our veranda and she called out and waved and smiled at us; Not once did we hear them argue or shout at each other, every time we went in the Panaroma they were smiling and talkative the cleaners were lovely girls and always spoke and smiled they sat in the hallway until the rooms were empty before starting to clean and never objected as to what time we went out in the morings Mrs Gregoris helped them on occassions and she alway said Kalamera and smiled. The appartments are away from the road so you get no road noise and very little in the rooms themselves unless there are any really noisy guests. We found the resort lovely plenty of places to eat and drink and lots of trips if you are that way inclinded. On the day of leaving the only drawback was that you had to vacate the rooms by 10am and put the luggage on the truck, This was then placed inside the Panarama Restaurant which we thought very safe, there is a big patio by the pool with a large umbrella and tables and chairs so after seeing to the cases we spent the morning back there chatting to other guests. We had an enjoyable holiday and would recomend the Gregoris to anyone don't undertsand what the previous reviews were on about

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled as a couple
3  Thank RuthBodelwyddan
Reviewed May 22, 2011

After an annoying delay by Thomson Airlines, we arrived in Nidri 2hrs later than planned but the owner was there to greet us and take our luggage. He was very hospitable and, yes we did have to load the luggage onto his truck but he is getting on abit! Our Rep, Joanna, was excellent and walked us by torchlight through the "chicken run" - this is a good shortcut from the apartments to town and is nowhere near as bad as expected. Walking back at night you are accommpanied by fireflies - magical!

We were releived to find that we had not been allocated "the cupboard". Our room (12) was very spacious, at the back of the building, with plenty of wardrobe & drawer space. There's a t.v. in the room & also a hairdryer. Plenty of hot water & the beds were really comfortable.

The "communal kitchen" consists of a fridge freezer (ice-cubes for your pre-prandial drinkies) & one electric hotplate so if you want to cook some meals go for a self-catering apartment!

We never saw any grumpiness or hostility from the owner - in fact just the opposite. He talked to his guests, asked if they'd had a good day and gave a weather forecast - granted his wife didn't smile alot but guess she had alot on her mind!

With regards "the cupboard" - we saw that room and it was truly horrendous - small doesn't begin to describe it. If you are unlucky enough to get it - COMPLAIN, COMPLAIN, COMPLAIN because evenually they may be forced to take it out of service. In the bathroom you could sit on the toilet with your feet in the shower and wash your hands at the same time!

I would recommend these rooms (except from "the cupboard") - very clean, quiet and easy access to the town and harbour area.Plenty of free parking if you hire a car I(recommend Nidri Car Hire)

Room Tip: Go for an apartment rather than studio room
  • Stayed: May 2011, traveled as a couple
2  Thank nap66
Reviewed August 9, 2010

We recently returned from a week at the Gregoris rooms, in nidri, Lefkas. When our coach, plus rep, dropped us off on the main strip we were advised that Mr Gregoris would collect our luggage to take to the apartments. Infact we had to load these on ourselves. Mr Gregoris was rather large and elderly! Off he went.. and we proceeded to make our way up a dark unpaved alley, passed chickens, hens and goats (that do wake you early) to the Gregoris Rooms. Which to our surprise were lovely, spotlessly clean and maintained daily, with a lovely pool area that was also very clean. Mr and Mrs Gregoris were not the happiest of people, when the came every evening to water the plants and close the pool area they were often shouting in greek at each other (maybe 50 years of marriage) sometimes they spoke and other days they just would not look at you. However we did find when we ate in their restaurant the Panarama they were always pleased to see us and all guest were given a 20% discount and the food was lovely. On the last day we were advised we had to be out of our room by ten and were to help Mr Gregoris with the luggage. Infact at nine thirty they asked for the key and we were rushed out our rooms very quickly. We left our cases at the Panarama and could stay by the pool and use the shared facilities in the apartment block. The rooms were very well located, five mins from the water and harbour with restaurants and shops. Although I would not have wanted to walk the chicken run alone late at night. I would reccommend these rooms, we had a variety of people staying the same time as us, families, carpet munchers and not forgetting the lovely southamptoners..... a good holiday all round

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled as a couple