“Tastes like supermarket food with OK service”

Oak Tree Vegetarian Bistro
Ranked #9 of 148 Restaurants in Leigh-on Sea
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Delivery, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Description: The Oak Tree vegetarian Bistro is a great place to meet for breakfast, lunch, Dinner or just for a fantastic coffee and slice of cake. Fully licensed, We have an abundance of Vegan and Veggie food for you to enjoy. We are passionate about Vegetarian and Vegan food... so come and see what all the fuss is about!!
Reviewed July 31, 2014

Came for lunch based on the good reviews and wanted a good vegetarian meal but was sadly disappointed. It is a short walk from Leigh-on-sea town centre, and it is not worth the walk. The best part was sitting outside on a sunny day with a nice breeze.

Right, the food, we had the halloumi starter, butternut squash lasagne and a Panini (Fig I think, don't recall exactly). The halloumi salad was basically store bought and grilled lightly on a small bed of salad; tasted ok as any person would have prepared it. The lasagne looked like it was probably microwave and did not resemble any lasagne that I have seen. It has collapsed into a lump of spludge with a nice bed of oil around it. I guess from overheating hence the oils separating out.

The service was OK, the staff were friendly but missing check backs and also no cutlery was given. In a nutshell, if you bought pre-cooked food and reheat on site with salad and got your mates to run it.

If your looking for good vegetarian food that isn't a salad or basic stuff that you can prepare yourself or buy from the store then go somewhere else cos its not available here.

14  Thank FoodieLondontown

Reviewed July 25, 2014

I feel dissapointed as I have read so many good things about this place and it did nothing for me on this occaision. I booked an evening for me and a friend to dine on a Thursday which we then found out was a live music evening, thought this might be quite nice. We arrived and were seated to a sticky table no cutlery, tablewear etc... and right next to a chiller type cabinet infront of all the food. I wouldnt usually mind but everything had been rammed tighter to accomodate a mass of musicians who of which the entire restuarant was packed out with and their friends so trying to eat a starter with someone right in my face was very off putting especially whilst all this unpacking was happening whilst trying to enjoy our evening. The meal itself was ok but not as amazing as expected from reading others reviews, my friends meal of a veggie burger was over cooked and really hard for her to chew and swallow and we both felt unwell this morning unfortunately. The drinks were limited as having only one or none of the soft drinks we were requesting, it felt very un prepared for a busy evening. The music itself was nice once it got going but it felt like we were intruding in a music club and staff were harder to get the attention of as it seemed to be their friends performing maybe? Perhaps they should of all come in and set up prior to evening dining commencing or be held souly to just come enjoy music and light nibbles not 2 or 3 course dinners?
I will come again and try another evening as it could of been just been because of how un organised the musicians were and this took away from reciving a good service from the staff who were also all very young so perhaps a lack of experience was present?
A suggestion for live music evenings could be that the artists are set up and ready to go before opening to the public and thinking more of the space being used so not to take away the comfort and attention of the paying customers.
A positive of this all is the pricing which was very good, 2 of us having 2 courses and 2 drinks came to £32 which we were really happy with.

8  Thank Hannah C
Reviewed July 24, 2014

Booked the "Bistro" for four people yesterday. When we arrived I expected it to be some sort of restaurant where you could relax and have a nice lunch. I would call it a café, very small but busy. We sat down, hadn't had time to look at the menu and the waitress was on top of us, we asked for more time. When the food arrived, it was nice, but expected more; before we had finished, our bill was on the table, nobody asked if we would like a sweet, which we did intend having. If you are thinking of a quick snack in a rush, I would say this place is for you, if you would like a relaxed afternoon lunch with friends, don't bother.

7  Thank cathholmes1
Reviewed July 23, 2014

First the great disappointment - no bottled Real Ale but I'm sure this will be rectified.

Otherwise everything was just about as good as it could be.

I had hot chocolate (I always have hot chocolate) and it was about the best I remember ever being served.

I am not keen on salads but I had the Middle Eastern (falafel) salad because it was full of the sort of things I should eat. It was excellent. It was so good I may well have it again. (I am good at moaning so I would add, from my point of view only, maybe a little more falafel, maybe a little less leaves).

My friend had Butternut Squash lasagna. I don't like lasagna but it looked really nice and she ate it with gusto.

Genuinely friendly and helpful staff, a calm interior, a touch of music and Wi-Fi. What more to ask?

May have to become a regular.

Reviewed July 18, 2014

We had been waiting to try The Oaktree for ages and finally got to today!! The menu was extensive with most items on the menu having a vegan option! We will definitely be going back soon as there was so much on the menu that we wanted!!

I was especially impressed with the drinks selection they had, cloudy lemonade, colas, orange juices etc and hardly anything that you would see in every shop or restaurant!

Actually cannot wait to go back!!

2  Thank DeanWard