“Nice food and coffee”
Review of BIRDWOOD BAKERY

BIRDWOOD BAKERY
Ranked #3 of 3 Bakeries in Leigh-on Sea
Cuisines: Cafe, British
Dining options: Brunch, Breakfast, Lunch, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Cash Only, Free Wifi, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Seating, Takeout, Wheelchair Accessible, Wine and Beer
Description: We are a Bakery/Cafe specialising inArtisan bread,grilled flatbreads and serving Ozone coffee. We have a children's area upstairs.
Southend-on-Sea, United Kingdom
“Nice food and coffee”
Reviewed April 3, 2014

I've been here a couple of times for brunch/coffee with my friends. The staff are friendly and the service was prompt.

• Visited December 2013

Leigh, United Kingdom
“Proper home cooked”
Reviewed April 1, 2014

I looked at the delicious cakes and put on two pounds! Their bread is delicious and I have bought a sourdough loaf because we have gay friends coming for the weekend. I wish they would do their own coleslaw.

Visited March 2014
1 Thank Jim D
London, United Kingdom
“Birdwood Cafe Victoria Plaza Southend”
Reviewed March 19, 2014

I wrote a letter of complaint to Birdwood after I had to ask for my money back following an incident of poor food hygiene preparation by the staff at the Birdwood Cafe in Victoria Plaza.
Glyn (no last name provided) emailed me back accusing me of being theatrical and questioning how I could have seen the incident take place from the seating area.

So due to the fact Birdwood did not take my complaint seriously and because the tone of his email was contemptuous I decided to report my experience below for those who care;

I ordered a Saltbeef Flatbread from the cafe and then waited in the seated area while it was heated, I watched as the lady who had prepared my food then busied herself clearing tables, spraying surfaces and and then wiping down those surfaces with a cloth.

I then saw her put rubbish items in the bin, pushing them down deep into the bin before going behind the counter and touching the top of my flatbread as she lifted it out of the heating iron.

She walked right past the sink, she did not pause and use the taps, she breezed straight past in a fraction of a second and could not possibly have stopped to wash her hands.

I saw this unfolding and had already started walking towards the counter to intercept her but she had already picked up my flatbread before I could stop her. So i was about 20 feet away at the start of this incident and then walked closer as it unfolded, I was standing up (i am 6' tall) and the interior of the Plaza is brightly lit allowing me a clear view of this lady and what she was doing.

When I identified this to both of the staff members on duty the lady concerned stated that she had washed her hands but I clearly saw that she had not and demanded a refund saying that I could not eat this food. This in my opinion all seems a perfectly reasonable thing to do, I did get my money back although it was the soap avoider's colleague who actually gave me my refund, no apology just a muttered 'just give him his money back' under her breath.

So I complained to Glyn, he wrote back saying I was being theatrical and dismissed my complaint.

I will not be eating here again and now i have seen behind the curtain of the Birdwood Empire I will not be eating in any of their other outlets either if this is the standard of food hygiene on offer and the contempt they show their customers.

Glyn, if you ever read this, please note that it is not theatrical to ask for your money back because of your poor food hygiene standards. As a paying customer I expect better and complaining is actually allowed in this country.

• Visited March 2014
20 Thank JohnMaclane
Leigh on sea
“Ditch the stupid cutlery, please!”
Reviewed March 8, 2014 via mobile

This is a great little bakery with a great range of cakes but why do they insist upon using the stupid wooden cutlery? It's useless!

They need to change the background music too. As the acoustics are poor when you eat in, the music becomes overpowering especially when you sit at the rear in the dining area.

3 Thank Balks36
London, United Kingdom
“Unfriendly atmosphere. Grumpy staff”
Reviewed February 23, 2014 via mobile

This cafe could have been a nice place but every time I've been there the atmosphere is unfriendly. Perhaps this is because of their grumpy staff. If you must, buy something and leave to avoid their rudeness.

3 Thank Snufkinn