“I used to be a regular.....”

Stop The World Cafe
Ranked #14 of 162 Restaurants in Leigh-on Sea
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed April 16, 2013 via mobile

I love this place. The style and the food is fantastic. I have reviewed previously and gave it a glowing report. However the last couple of months I have felt the ambience has shifted.

This place is heaving. Always queues normal wait time on a weekend is about 10-20 minutes.

My main issue here is the staff. I don't want to generalise and a couple of them are great, in particular the American girl who hasn't been there the last couple of times and the brown haired quirky girl who has worked there from the beginning are lovely. The staff seemed better managed when the lady who has now left to have her baby was in charge. Now I feel it is teenagers who are more concerned about having a chit chat.

We went the other weekend and sat at the very back near the toilets and the cabinet where they put their used cutlery, store clean cutlery and condiments and the whole time we were in there a shortish lady with short brown hair just hovered around us and appeared to just be hanging out bossing around the other girls but did nothing herself. Whilst we were eating 3/4 of them were just hovering by that unit drinking orange squash out of old volvic water bottles and a cup of tea! I really cannot remember the last time I eat out and the staff drink on the shop floor so to speak. Surely they should go down to the kitchen if they want a beverage? This isn't some cheap greasy spoon.

Maybe they should walk down the road to Birdwood and see the service and this is coming from STW fan. Based on the comments of previous reviewers I am worried it is losing its touch. I really think a drastic staff training session is in order.

I really hope this place improves on staff etiquette and they smarten up a bit, mud stained converse may look cool but not very hygienic in a food place.

I love the food please make us love the service just as much!

1  Thank Littleprincessgurn

Reviewed April 15, 2013

3 of us went for brunch on Sunday at 11am. It was very busy so had to wait 15 mins to be seated. The waiting staff seem very efficient and took our order straight away and our drinks arrived, but the food took another 45 minutes and it all came out at different times. I have been before and the food is always good although a little expensive £30 for 3 for breakfast. I can't criticise the waiting staff as there were plenty of them and they were attentive, but the problem lies in the kitchen and getting food to the table. Im sure you wouldnt have to have a waitlist to get in there, if they got the food out quicker. It's ridiculous to wait 45 minutes for a bacon bap.....

2  Thank Mac21999
Reviewed April 14, 2013

This cafe is on another level. The food and service offered are both consistently fantastic. Well worth the journey, although I would love to live nearer, I don't think that it would help my diet, too many wonderful items to tempt me. A must if you haven't been yet, you won't be disappointed.

Reviewed April 14, 2013

My wife and I have been to this restaurant many times But the service is the worst in Leigh. Always slow. As you only get 1 hour to park the waitress should stop bunning and get on with the job in hand. Wouldn't reconmend this place if your short on time, Go some were else.

9  Thank Kathleen C
Reviewed April 12, 2013

Wow what a great place. If you like tea coffee cakes and snacks served in style...pewter Tea pots etc, then this is the place to go.