“The Popular Retreat”

Cuisines: European
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed December 25, 2012

Absolutely the best Christmas lunc I hhave ever had. Staff lovely, food amazing. Relaxed and friendly service

Reviewed November 24, 2012

I have used trip advisor on many occasions to find a nice place to eat so I thought I'd start giving back to the community. I tried The Popular Retreat last night after some of the great reviews I have seen. Personally I thought the restaurant was lovely with a cosy atmosphere. The service was friendly from the outset and our drinks came quickly and we were pointed out the specials of the night. Me and my girlfriend had hummus and garlic prawns to start both went down well. For mains we had hunters chicken and mushroom risotto again both were very much enjoyed. My girlfriend said her risotto was lovely and seasoned well, which is often not the case in many restaurants. (small things make big differences!) we didn't have room for dessert but the choices looked great. I will definitely recommend this restaurant to my friends and family, have even booked for Christmas day lunch.

1  Thank rjcrews
Reviewed November 18, 2012

We booked for a late Sunday lunch 14.00. Not busy when we got there, waited an hour for a pretty average roast beef - no Yorkshires. Meat preceeded veg by 15 mintes. No mention that this would slow when the order was taken - no communication or eye contact while we stewed. Another couple in same boat.
Used to be good but if these are new people then some help needed in the kitchen. No tip for obvious reasons.

Reviewed November 12, 2012

We had been to this restaurant before it has been refurbished/changed hands. There were 4 of us and it was just a night out with friends, not a special occasion. The food was mediocre to say the least. I ordered king prawns with sweet & sour chilli (I can't recall the actual name menu) and imagined a prawn in its shell perhaps with a sauce, I was very disappointed to be served prawns already in a little sauce dish that looked like they had come out of a microwave meal. My friend ordered garlic mushrooms (please note the s on mushroom). This was quite a funny moment as a huge white plate was placed in front of her with sauce dribbles around it and on one edge of the plate was one mushroom, the rest of the plate was clear, emphasising its vast emptiness. Her comment was that you wouldn't emphasise such a small starter with such a massive plate!
For main course we all had steak, again only average, not very memorable except for the fact they come served on a massive chopping board.
My friends had dessert of cheesecake which they said was a little dry, and there was no cream offered with it. I ordered cheese and biscuits (admittedly not on the menu) and was served a cheese board with only soft cheese, brie and goats cheese. I think they were the only ones available as they were on the menu cooked with other dishes.
All in all it was an average meal, with average service for an above average price.

Reviewed October 7, 2012

Popped in for Sunday lunch at 12.30, to be told lunches would be served from 13.00. Not a problem, so we booked a table and had a pleasant wander through Leigh window shopping.
It would have helped if this was advertised - along with a Sunday menu on display - as I am sure this would have bought more clients into the restaurant.
On arriving back, we found the restaurant to be quiet - and some background music would have helped (this was switched on just before we left).
We shared the home made hummus starter - and it was very good - although a few more slices of pitta bread would have been nice.
We both ordered roast dinners - and having asked for pink beef, the chef duly obliged. The meat was plentiful, with 2 large slices of thickly cut beef for me and plenty of lamb for my friend. The vegetables were excellent, with one of the best cauliflower cheeses I have ever had.
We were too full for dessert - but could not resist taking away of a couple of slices of the lemon drizzle cake which was on display (home made and very nice with a cup of tea later in the afternoon!)

1  Thank Yvo65