“No better than average”

The Sand Bar & Seafood Co. Ltd.
Reserve with OpenTable
The Sand Bar & Seafood Co. Ltd. is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #21 of 167 Restaurants in Leigh-on Sea
Cuisines: British
Good for: Bar scene, Special occasions
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Description: The Sand Bar & Seafood Co. has been apart of the Leigh Community for 15 years. We're a family run Restaurant with a love of Seafood. Everyday we learn some new, even after all these years, but we always have the ultimate aim of improving ourselves. We are Doggy friendly, and your pooch is welcome in our Downstairs Bar & Restaurant Area.We have a Wedding Licence and have held many weddings here. We have an upstairs Restaurant, which is used for many kinds of special occasions, Birthdays, Funerals, Business dinners, Company Events, Charities evenings, Film nights, Fashion Shows, Plays, Cooking Classes,Dance Classes & many other events. We haven't had a Doggy Fashion Show yet, but give us time!
Reviewed June 10, 2013

I visited as a member of a self funding group booking and had mixed feelings about the venue having read a number of reviews on TA. My experience may therefore not correlate with that of ordinary diners.
Ambience / style – Attempts to be a mix of trendy wine bar and restaurant with outside table for the bistro café set when weather permits. I am not really sure it succeeds at any of them!
Staff – seem competent if not smiling that often which is not a really criticism just a fact, they are not paid to smile - it just helps.
Food / Menu – because of the size of our group I think our choices were limited. I had the pea pesto pearl barley risotto as a starter which was delicious although the portion size was border line for being a main. I am not that keen on fish, especially shellfish, which limited my options so I chose the twice cooked pork which in and of itself was nice however the bed of boiled shredded cabbage it sat on and the ‘cabbage water’ that came with it were poor accompaniments indeed. Some thought about ditching the cabbage, adding a jus using apple / calvados and perhaps some Lyonnaise potatoes, and baby carrots or other seasonal vegetable would improve this dish no end.
Drinks / Wine List – I stuck to over priced mineral water as I was driving and therefore unable to partake but the list looked adequate if a little pricey, but that is apparently the ‘Leigh Broadway’ factor at play.
Price / Value for money – I paid the group organiser so I have no idea if the whole £15 was for the food but if it was it was poor value for what I had.
Would I go back? – probably not unless I had prior notice of the menu choices and could ascertain what the accompaniments were and portion size.

1  Thank Slowhands
ourword, Owner at The Sand Bar & Seafood Co. Ltd., responded to this reviewResponded June 13, 2013

Thank you so much for your review. It is always really helpful to read and learn from what people's experience of us. I am sorry that you as not a seafood eater was brought to The Sand Bar & Seafood Company, that was not very fair for you.
I am glad you enjoy your starter, but thought your main dish lack to right garnish. That is something we will address with the Chefs.
When someone smiles it makes life a little more pleasant, normally are staff are really smiley have great sense of humour. Sometimes things make someone have an off moment. I have already mentioned this to them after having read your review.
I believe you found us expensive we do a two course special for £11.00 or £13.99.
Thank you once again and take care Louise

Reviewed June 6, 2013 via mobile

Have just returned from the Sandbar having dined on the 2 courses for 11 pounds. Both the asparagus and chickpea starter and the seafood curry were bursting with flavour and beautifully presented. Good sized portions and friendly service too, what more could you ask for, will be back soon! Highly recommend.

ourword, Owner at The Sand Bar & Seafood Co. Ltd., responded to this reviewResponded June 6, 2013

I am so glad you enjoyed your Early Bird. Thank you. I hope we can make happy again.

Reviewed June 4, 2013

My friend and I went to Leigh-on-sea for a bit of tea and a catch up...we parked outside the Sandbar and thought the restraunt looked lovely but would be above our budget for the sort of thing we wanted to eat but then noticed the board outside saying £13.99 for 2 courses any time...we thought that sounds too good to be true...so we gave it a try. The food was fantastic!! Deep fried Goats cheese to start with Prawn kebabs and mint for main my friend had dessert Whitchurch was delish...washed down with a glass of Pinot blush and fab coffees... The two girls that served us were so very friendly and very professional...I have to recommend to everyone..

Thank you so much for your really kind review, I am glad you gave us a try. If you come for an Early Bird it is £11 for two courses, even cheaper. I will be sure to pass on your lovely comments about Siliva & Mandy. take care Louise

Reviewed May 28, 2013

My children booked this restaurant for our family get together through Travel zoo offer. The atmosphere there is really nice and there is limited sea view if you are seated outside. The staff were really friendly and helpful and gave very good service. Our starters and desserts were delicious, but we had to wait a long time for the main meal (as according to menu it is cooked to order). The house wine was not that good. We all liked our main meal (sea food) except my husband who had pork, which was not at all tasty. Seafood Stew did not have any prawns at all, but the combination of red lentils and other seafood made it taste better. It is basically a seafood restaurant so the fish dishes are better than meat ones. I feel it is quite pricey overall. I think £3.99 for a small bowl of chips is a bit too steep.

ourword, Owner at The Sand Bar & Seafood Co. Ltd., responded to this reviewResponded May 29, 2013

I am glad you enjoy your meal, and sorry the mains took a little time. But once again I would like to thank you, sometimes in this industry it is very hard to make people happy, and although you try your very best every day, all the staff here are human, and humans have off days. So when someone writes a lovely review like you have, it is like Christmas Morning. Take care Louise

Reviewed May 27, 2013 via mobile

We visited on Thursday evening. Had a drink at the bar first and the restaurant had a lovely atmosphere. Was nice and busy.

I had the macaroni cheese to start followed by prawn kebabs and fellow diner went for the whitebait and then the kedgeree washed down with some white wine.

Would absolutely recommend.

ourword, Manager at The Sand Bar & Seafood Co. Ltd., responded to this reviewResponded May 30, 2013

Hi I am really glad you enjoyed your evening. I am really hoping to see again soon. Take Care Monda