“From the rich to the poor!”

The Boatyard Restaurant
Ranked #21 of 151 Restaurants in Leigh-on Sea
Cuisines: International
Good for: Special occasions, Large groups, Bar scene
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Dinner, Lunch, Delivery, Reservations
Description: The Boatyard, Leigh-On-Sea The Boatyard combines the benefits of a modern purpose-built restaurant with the classic surroundings of the Old Leigh fishing village, not to mention the excellent food. Contained within what was previously a working boatyard, the building has been converted into a modern restaurant, fully air-conditioned with a state of the art music system, digital projection screen and a glass-fronted kitchen area . A panoramic polarised glass frontage provides uninterrupted views of the Thames Estuary and Two-Tree Island Nature Reserve. Even more spectacular views can be obtained from the stunning wooden deck which juts out into the water and spans the entire width of the building.
Reviewed January 25, 2013

My husband and I used to eat here on special occasions as it was not particularly cheap but the food was fantastic! We even got engaged here as it became our place! It has since changed management and the service and menu choices are now dire!! I would recommend you avoid here at all cost!

5  Thank SVC7285
Boatyard R, Manager at The Boatyard Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded January 31, 2013

We are extremely sorry to learn you were disappointed on your recent visit, especially as you say we were once your 'special place'. We do update our menus on a regular basis ensuring there are a wide variety of dishes, however during the recent bad weather conditions deliveries were affected with the result that, for a couple of evenings, we were forced to offer a limited menu. Do please contact me personally before your next visit so that we may endeavour to become a special place for you again.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,358)

Reviewed January 15, 2013

Lovely place food is of a very high standard, Great views across the sea (When the tides in). Nice place to go for a special occasion.

Boatyard L, Manager at The Boatyard Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded January 16, 2013

Thank you, pleased to know you had an enjoyable time, looking forward to seeing you again!

Reviewed January 15, 2013

I feel I must post a review following our recent visit . We went for a family celebration lunch on Sunday . We were greeted on arrival by friendly staff and taken to our table which was by the window with a lovely view. The set menu was varied and we all chose different things . All the food was delicious ,piping hot and beautifully presented . Our waiter was attentive and charming . All in all a massive thumbs up !

Boatyard L, Manager at The Boatyard Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded January 17, 2013

Thank you for visiting us again, we really appreciate your custom, glad we didn't disappoint and looking forward to seeing you again

Reviewed January 15, 2013

As long as you dont mind food thats a tad 'ponsey' you will like it. It is quite expensive but I have enjoyed all the meals I have had here and never had a bad experience. I love the surroundings here. Although be warned you can very rarely park there. They have a few spaces opposite but if you cant get parked there the bouncers park your car for you and hold onto your keys. They are very good but do park worryingly close to other cars. They are the only ones who can drive on and off so its not a major issue but worth knowing about. Food is great here but don't expect a cheap meal out!

Reviewed January 12, 2013

We visited the Boatyard recently for a family dinner of 13. I have been to this restaurant many many times since it opened but not for the past 3 or 4 years since we moved to a different area. How things have changed and not for the better I'm afraid. The warning signs were there as soon as we arrived and the place was only 20% full on a Saturday night ! A few years ago this was THE place to go to and you needed a booking 2 or 3 weeks in advance for the weekends. The general ambiance is still OK and the service was first class but I've had better meals and better choices down at our local pub. The menu has now become very limited with only 5 meat dishes and 5 fish dishes to choose from with no specials. How a restaurant of this size expects to keep regular customers returning with such a limited choice is beyond me. Just 10 mins drive away on the seafront is a fairly new restaurant called Toulouse. The owners of the Boatyard should spend an evening there and sample the great choice and quality of the food on offer.
I remember when the Boatyard first opened they immediately closed it within a few weeks because the owner was unhappy with the kitchen and what they were producing. He told me " things just weren't right " All the kitchen staff were dismissed and replaced and it re-opened with the feel of a top London restaurant. I'm assuming it has changed ownership since then but this used to be a great restaurant in a great location and it's a great pity to see such a wonderful place fall into such a sad decline. They need a decent chef !

2  Thank Phil S

We strive to maintain high standards within all the various departments at The Boatyard for our customers enjoyment and satisfaction. Thank you for your comments which I read with concern, we have taken note and have passed your observations to our chef.