“Great food”

The Jolly Fisherman Pub
Reserve with OpenTable
The Jolly Fisherman Pub is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #3 of 5 Restaurants in Craster
Cuisines: British
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Delivery, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Delivery, Reservations
Reviewed October 14, 2012

Great location friendly service and excellent food. The fish was amazing and the meat dishes equally good. Their flavours were delicious and the beer wasn't bad either! Lunch +evening menus both a real treat. Too good not to return several times in our week,

1  Thank rosieNorfolk
Write a ReviewReviews (1,962)

Reviewed October 12, 2012

You can't go to Craster without visting this pub for its view over the sea and the crab sandwiches or soup. My friend so enjoyed the soup that she asked for the recipe. No luck there though.

1  Thank burtandjoyce
Reviewed October 8, 2012

Booked into this little pub on recommendation (locals) and we were not disappointed. The location is absolutely stunning: right on the edge of the coast with sea-views from the restaurant and beer garden; Craster is a beautiful unspoiled Northumberland village. Arrived early so we could go for a walk along the cliffs. The pub looks like an excellent place for a pint or two: the locals around this area are really friendly and conversation is usually good...
On arrival, we were greeted and seated quickly and informally: something about the slightly less than sharp service tells me this place is run by people who haven't had years in the trade, but they're doing an excellent job, and it adds to the informal atmosphere in the restaurant.
Seating a little uncomfortable and crowded, but OK - we had a lovely sea view after all through the panoramic windows of the restaurant.
Beer on offer was good, I didn't check the wine list as we weren't drinking any and it wasn't offered.
The excellent menu was locally sourced, big enough to offer a range of choices, small enough to know you're getting something fresh. It's a while since I went, but I remember there being crab soup, kipper pate (Craster is World famous for kippers, and rightly so), and a seafood platter, steaks, fish and chips. Saw some other kids eating the children's menu pizzas and must admit these didn't look too good. Starters around c£6, mains c£15.
My kipper pate was excellent, and the crab soup looked and smelled gorgeous. Seafood platter for main, with some lovely fresh battered squid and crab claws in a sticky chili sauce: everything was confidently sourced and cooked. A couple of minor mistakes makes me think that the chef (or kitchen?) isn't all that experienced (hand-cut chips were quite burnt) but the freshness to the menu and quality of the food made up for it (and I'm sure if I'd mentioned the chips I'd have got a replacement).
Desserts were good, I think I had eaton mess; my partner had a (sticky toffee) pudding.
I have a young baby and a well behaved (though prone to tantrums) two year old which didn't seem to phase the staff or other customers at all.
Service was really friendly and fairly quick and responsive. If it's weekend or holiday season I'd definitely book in advance.

Reviewed October 7, 2012

The crab sandwiches were recommended by two other travelers.They did not disappoint. A cozy atmosphere. Sea views. Cold beer. What more could you ask for?

Reviewed October 7, 2012

When we visit this pub my husband and I usually opt for the deicious crab sandwiches but last week we both had the seafood platter. It was absolutly fantastic, was a bit unsure about the roll mop but it was delicious, the platter is better value for money than the crab sandwiches. and the walk to Dunstanburgh Castle was a necessity to walk off the food, as it was very filling. My only disappointment is the chips, although really tasty, as long as you don't get the scraps, are seriously overpriced for the small size of the portions