“Best Basic Birders Lodge in Sukau”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Sukau
Barefoot Sukau Lodge
Ranked #6 of 8 Sukau B&B and Inns
Ipoh, Malaysia
“Best Basic Birders Lodge in Sukau”
Reviewed December 11, 2011

Great guides like Hamit. Friendly service.
Huge variety of nature to discover.... We even saw over 40 pigmy elephants. The morning calls of the covkerel is all part of the experience...
Accommodation is very basic but as a birder/naturalist that is all yo need.... A good bed and hot water....and free coffee and tea. It would be nice if the were to provide free Wifi....

Room Tip: #4 and 5 were quite good rooms.....
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled with family

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
UK
Reviewed November 16, 2011

We arranged our single night at barefoot at very short notice (called the day before) so didn't have much time to research. As it turns out, we were OK and had an afternoon on the river and an ok if noisy nights sleep (bloody cockerel needs to buy a watch). Heavy rain could also make a lot of noise on the roof.
Rooms are basic (but this is jungle and not the ritz) but were fine and good value. It looked as though they were being redecorated one at a time.
We had a nice evening meal (its a lovely spot right on the river bank) and had the place to ourselves so we set up a mini school for the kids to catch up on their school work.
The river cruise was lovely, with an eagle eyed and very knowledgeable guide showing us Orangutangs, Elephants, Proboscis monkeys and loads of interesting birds on our very first outing. Very good.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank skiesnpies
colchester
Reviewed November 2, 2011

just got back had 2 nights there, jess the boss picked us up at the airport and after a visit to sepilok took us to the lodge, in time for lunch, which was pretty good the veranda was a loverly place to eat sit back and relax
at 4.00pm we had our 1st river cruise actually went at 3.30 dont seem to bother about giving you a bit of extra value, saw all the asual suspects, proboscis , silver leaf monkeys macqacs, and 5 kinds of hornbill, back for tea at 7 again fresh and hot, nothing to do after apart from chat and look at the photos we had taken, but they did have cans of beer! about 7 mr
early bed then again up at 6 for another cruise this time we had a real treat 4 orangotangs in the wild maybe 30 foot away more food and cruises followed
the staff dean the l;adies in the kitchen could not have been more polite and helpfull,
should rearly give them 10/10 but knocking off one point for basic rooms a bed and one side table but hey we were in the jungle, would recomend to anyone, there were 3 or 4 other lodges within 4 miles , these were allways a lot busier, i woul come back here as my 1st choice anytime,just maybe with a extra book

• Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
Dili, East Timor
Reviewed September 30, 2011

Went with my mum to see some Jungle Wildlife and it was great. Mum wasn't entirely happy with bathroom/shower, but apart from that found the place excellent.

The river cruise - probably the main/only reason to spend a night in Sukau - is amazing. The guides are friendly, talkative and excellent at spotting wildlife. Actually there is more or less enough wildlife that you don't have to look too hard, but it is nice to have the local boys point out a few things to you, give the local names, and help with photography.

All in all I'd recommend Barefoot, very much worth it.

Room Tip: We didn't book til the morning of. It is kind of low season I suppose, but fact is, we had this...
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled with family
2 Thank Richard B
Malaysia
Reviewed April 24, 2011

I really enjoyed the stay and river cruise. It was very kind of Mr.Cede ( the boss ) took us along the river cruise and showed us how to photograph wildlife. He showed us Proboscis monkeys, different species of hornbills, eagles. Most interesting was we saw orangutan on tree. Overall, I was very pleased with the stay that so closed to rainforest and nature. I certainly would recommend friends to stay at Barefoot Sukau Lodge.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled with friends
Reviewed April 5, 2011

Before our arrival, I had been corresponding with Rowena. She did reply my emails but seemed (to me) not to pay serious attention to my expectations of activities. And then, when I finally made up my mind, she sent me a quotation with a total amount higher than which I had calculated based on the price list she had sent me previously. Neither did she give me the detail breakdown cost. Just the total amount. So sent me another quotation/invoice. This time with the breakdown cost and a total amount which fits my calculation... BUT... she told me that I had to pay 30% in advance and the amount of 30% she wrote was actually the 70% of the total amount. For the second time, I protested. In the end she said that I didn't need to pay a booking fee.

When I arrived, I was presented with a different price. I was told that that price includes meals. Yes, the price I dealt with Rowena was room exclude lunch and dinner. However, even if I had the price for meals into the room rate, the price given by Rowena and by the staff in Barefoot Sukau Lodge to me would still differ.

In spite of the pricing matter, the room, meal, cruise, was good. It just happened that the bathroom in my room had only 1 small hook. So I had to hang my clothes on the door knob. Thin boards replaced glasses for the room window. Basically I loved the vicinity. It weren't packed with tourists. There were only 3 groups that day. Me and my friend, and 2 other couples. We all chatted by the river after dinner until bedtime. The next morning I woke up to very distinct chirping birds.

Jo, our guide, was informative and friendly. I just wish he had given an opportunity to get closer to the river banks to spot birds, etc, just like when he wanted to show us a yellow-ring snake. At times we saw other tourist boat being so close to the river bank and everybody seemed to excited taking a look at something. I and my friend only could wonder what they were looking at. I somewhat sensed that Jo feared that if we did see "everything", we wouldn't be interested in taking other activities. Forgive me if I'm wrong. It just seemed so to me.

In conclusion, Barefoot Lodge is just a step away from "perfect".

Room Tip: Be careful with pricing matters.
  • Stayed March 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank automidori
Greater Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 28, 2011

A big group of us stayed at Barefoot Sukau Lodge to do some animal spotting as part of a big trip around Borneo.

The rooms are basic - pretty much wooden huts with tin roofs, bring earplugs if you want to manage any sleep when it's raining! They were clean though and had everything you need. The staff were friendly and our guide in particular seemed to have superhuman animal spotting skills.

We were foolish enough to go in rainy season so we weren't able to do all the river boat trips we were scheduled in for because it was pouring so hard. When we did go out though we saw absolutely loads of animals - a huge male orangutan, lots of hornbills, proboscis monkeys and pygmy elephants.

There's not much to do when it is raining so make sure you have a book and some cards. We wandered into rural Sukau to have a look round the village and managed to swing a trip to Gomantong caves (for a fee of course), so didn't get too bored.

Maybe it is a bit overpriced but out of the places we were able to book in advance this was the cheapest along the river by quite a margin, and the staff were very helpful over email when we were organising things from the UK.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled with friends
Also consider these accommodations in or near Sukau
Sukau Greenview Bed & Breakfast
Bilit Rainforest Lodge
Bilit Rainforest Lodge
#1 of 3 in Kota Kinabatangan
Borneo Natural Sukau Bilit Resort
Borneo Natural Sukau Bilit Resor...
#3 of 3 in Kota Kinabatangan

Been to Barefoot Sukau Lodge? Share your experiences!