Barefoot Sukau Lodge
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation but we can search other options in Sukau
See available hotels
Hotel Samila(Sandakan)
Hotel London(Sandakan)
Hotel Sandakan(Sandakan)
View Hotel
See what travelers are saying:
FilterAll languages
Reviewed April 24, 2011

I really enjoyed the stay and river cruise. It was very kind of Mr.Cede ( the boss ) took us along the river cruise and showed us how to photograph wildlife. He showed us Proboscis monkeys, different species of hornbills, eagles. Most interesting was we saw orangutan on tree. Overall, I was very pleased with the stay that so closed to rainforest and nature. I certainly would recommend friends to stay at Barefoot Sukau Lodge.

• Stayed: April 2011, traveled with friends
Reviewed April 5, 2011

Before our arrival, I had been corresponding with Rowena. She did reply my emails but seemed (to me) not to pay serious attention to my expectations of activities. And then, when I finally made up my mind, she sent me a quotation with a total amount higher than which I had calculated based on the price list she had sent me previously. Neither did she give me the detail breakdown cost. Just the total amount. So sent me another quotation/invoice. This time with the breakdown cost and a total amount which fits my calculation... BUT... she told me that I had to pay 30% in advance and the amount of 30% she wrote was actually the 70% of the total amount. For the second time, I protested. In the end she said that I didn't need to pay a booking fee.

When I arrived, I was presented with a different price. I was told that that price includes meals. Yes, the price I dealt with Rowena was room exclude lunch and dinner. However, even if I had the price for meals into the room rate, the price given by Rowena and by the staff in Barefoot Sukau Lodge to me would still differ.

In spite of the pricing matter, the room, meal, cruise, was good. It just happened that the bathroom in my room had only 1 small hook. So I had to hang my clothes on the door knob. Thin boards replaced glasses for the room window. Basically I loved the vicinity. It weren't packed with tourists. There were only 3 groups that day. Me and my friend, and 2 other couples. We all chatted by the river after dinner until bedtime. The next morning I woke up to very distinct chirping birds.

Jo, our guide, was informative and friendly. I just wish he had given an opportunity to get closer to the river banks to spot birds, etc, just like when he wanted to show us a yellow-ring snake. At times we saw other tourist boat being so close to the river bank and everybody seemed to excited taking a look at something. I and my friend only could wonder what they were looking at. I somewhat sensed that Jo feared that if we did see "everything", we wouldn't be interested in taking other activities. Forgive me if I'm wrong. It just seemed so to me.

In conclusion, Barefoot Lodge is just a step away from "perfect".

Room Tip: Be careful with pricing matters.
  • Stayed: March 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank automidori
Reviewed February 28, 2011

A big group of us stayed at Barefoot Sukau Lodge to do some animal spotting as part of a big trip around Borneo.

The rooms are basic - pretty much wooden huts with tin roofs, bring earplugs if you want to manage any sleep when it's raining! They were clean though and had everything you need. The staff were friendly and our guide in particular seemed to have superhuman animal spotting skills.

We were foolish enough to go in rainy season so we weren't able to do all the river boat trips we were scheduled in for because it was pouring so hard. When we did go out though we saw absolutely loads of animals - a huge male orangutan, lots of hornbills, proboscis monkeys and pygmy elephants.

There's not much to do when it is raining so make sure you have a book and some cards. We wandered into rural Sukau to have a look round the village and managed to swing a trip to Gomantong caves (for a fee of course), so didn't get too bored.

Maybe it is a bit overpriced but out of the places we were able to book in advance this was the cheapest along the river by quite a margin, and the staff were very helpful over email when we were organising things from the UK.

• Stayed: January 2011, traveled with friends
Reviewed September 18, 2010

We wanted to stay for 4 nights but they'd only sell us two 3D/2N packages and wouldn't make any concessions. They also insisted on cash up front. So we paid for one package up front and enjoyed it, even if the rooms are quite basic. It is the jungle after all, and the food was good and the eating area is a nice, open communal area. The staff were friendly, the trips were interesting and the wildlife is amazing. However, when we decided to look around for a cheaper option for the third and fourth nights, we found that the surrounding places were a lot cheaper. In fact, Greenview B +B 1km down the road gave us 6 cruises and a jungle trek, instead of the 3 that Barefoot offer, for the same 3D/2N package... at half the price. The accommodation at Greenview is similarly basic but you get double the number of cruises, each cruise lasted longer, the guides seemed more interested in spotting wildlife for you and it was a whole lot cheaper.

Cede Prudente, the photographer-owner, would make this place a great choice for pro photographers. However, for enthusiasts like us we were made to feel like we weren't even there and that if we didn't want to pay, we could always go. In the end, that's exactly what we did. Even Barefoot's transport back to Sukau junction is double the going rate. So I repeat, nice place but what's with the agressive overpricing?

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled as a couple
3  Thank losmochileros
Reviewed August 6, 2010

Barefoot is in a great location outside of Sukau village on the side of the river. The views from the dining area over the river are lovely. The food was good and they catered for vegetarians. The river trips were very good with a guide who was great at wildlife spotting. We saw several groups of long tail and pig tail macaques, lots of proboscis monkeys, a female orangutan with a baby, red langurs and a silver langur and a slow loris as well as crocodiles and some amazing bird life. The rooms are fine but basic but overall its a great place to stay.

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled with friends