Savannah Sunset Village Resort
If you like this hotel, you might also be interested in
$511
Orbitz.com
All reviewsrock climbingcampingsunsetcampsitesceneryviewsguidecliffs
FilterAll languages
Reviewed October 25, 2012

Camping in Kenya might seem like a terrifying idea. Flimsy pop up tents in the wide open plains just hoping that the maneating lions of Tsavo don't get hungry anytime soon. In reality though it was a really swell time, and surprisingly more glamorous than camping in the USA.

The night started around 6pm with a motorbike about 20 minutes outside of the city. Now, 20 minutes outside of the city might not seem like much, at home 20 minutes doesn't even get you out of the suburbs, but in Kenya 20 minutes is enough to take you from the hustle and bustle of city life to some of the most beautiful land it has ever been my pleasure to see.

We arrived at the Savannah campsite just in time to see the sunset over the great rift valley and take a small dusk-time hike. My excitement for the night was growing to the point of over flowing and we had only been there for half an hour. From the hike we walked to our tents and inspected our sleeping quarters. Again, pleasant surprises awaited us. Heavy duty semi-permanent tents, with electricity and probably the coziest bed I have ever seen in Africa... this was my kind of camping.

After a while the bonfire got started, and who doesn't love a good bonfire? We sat around the fire and popped open some beers and let the stress of the week wash away from us. It took no time at all to fall into the rhythm of friendly small talk between the six of us. The dinner we had was out of this world. Nyama choma should always be prepared by Maasai men. We had both fried and grilled meat along with potatoes and, of course, ugali.

As the evening grew colder it was so nice to relax in good company and enjoy the fire. There is no where else in the world I would have wished myself in that moment. Passing a bottle of cheap wine around the fire in the most stunning countryside, looking at the night sky and seeing more stars than I knew possible. The sky is unarguably brighter here and it brightens me along with it. By the time we were cold and tired and ready for bed Liana, Ana and I wandered back to our tent, pulled the covers over our heads and were asleep before the fire died down.

We woke up this morning nursing our hangovers with overly acidic instant coffee and crisp morning air. We didn't know it yet, but the fun was far from over. When breakfast was served we were shocked. The average breakfast in Kenya is a piece of bread with chai tea. Our morning meal was a feast in comparison. Bananas, watermelon, bread and butter and boiled eggs paired with tea, coffee, or hot chocolate. And more than enough of all of it. Choices! It was really great and just what was needed after the night before.

After we had refueled Ian, our guide, came by and asked us if we were ready for the big hike. We hesitated and he sensed our concerned. He promised us a good time and in the end how could we deny? We hiked through the valley and soon as the hike started we were happy we had come. Ian took us to a waterfall that had long since dried up, and we rested for a while, someone had the sense to ask, "now we head back?" And Ian laughed, "Now we go up," he said pointing to the rock wall ahead of us. It took us a short time to realize he was serious. Well... when in Kenya right? He scurried up the wall like a pro and we followed one by one wondering what the hell we were doing. If we slipped it was into the muddy bacteria filled water we would fall. In the end it wasn't so bad, and only a taste of the rock climbing we would do just a little later. We hiked over rocks the size of cars. Everything around was so green, and you can see for miles and miles. Standing there looking around at the beauty this place has to offer is so refreshing. Eventually Ian told us it was time to go up again and this time we were not so sure. The fall was bigger this time and no water to break your tumble. I am sure this is the kind of thing one would require equipment for in the states, but if Maasai people have been doing it for hundreds of years it must be possible. I refused to look down as I climined and shinnied up the rocks and sat with my butt planted firmly on the ground when I made it to the top.

When we made it back to camp we heard some of the most magical words one can utter in Kenya... 'hot showers.' Of course we were all on board, even if we were to be putting dirty clothes right back onto our clean bodies. I feel like it might be a bit sacrilegious to say the water spoke to me... but that's not far off. Being the first proper shower I have had since I returned to Kenya it is needless to say that it was a glorious experience.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank PortiaVanessa
Reviewed October 17, 2012

Staying at Savannah Sunset Village Resort was an amazing experience. The staff makes the stay very personal, and will make sure you are having a wonderful and comfortable time. The tents are extremely nice and comfortable (way nicer than any other camping I have ever done!), and the surrounding area offers absolutely gorgeous scenery and hiking. Savannah Sunset Resort is close enough to Nairobi that it is quick and easy to get to, but it provides a wonderful break from the craziness of the city. Savannah Sunset would be perfect for any sort of group, friends, family, couples, corporate trips, or just to relax on your own! I would recommend it highly to anyone.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank Erin J
Reviewed October 17, 2012

I've been here a handful of times and have seen the development of the campsite. They have done such a wonderful job with this place. The location is stunning, the campsite and lounge areas are exactly what you need, and it's the perfect distance outside of Nairobi to get out for a few days and relax. I'm all about Savannah Sunset Village Resort!

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed October 17, 2012

I'm dreaming. Right? That was on my mind the whole time. It's hard for me to write this review without smiling. My time spent at the Savannah Sunset Resort is one that I will remember forever. The excellent service, breathtaking scenery, and affordable price (even on my college student budget) make this resort a serious competitor among tourist destinations in Kenya.
First of all, you sleep in a canvas tent with queen and twin beds provided (the setup is like a hotel, but you're in a tent). The bathroom/showers are a 10 second walk from your tent, making those midnight emergencies a close trip! Traditional Kenyan foods are provided at a picnic area just a minute walk from your beds. Alcohol and water can also be purchased here. The resort staff are very friendly and very attentive to your needs. They recognize that your time in Kenya is precious, so they do everything they can to make sure you get the most out of your trip.
The scenery is by far the most important perk of this resort. The resort on the Ngong Hills provides an excellent view of the Savannah landscape. When the sun sets, the Savannah lights up like a fire spreading below. The fun doesn't stop there, though. When night settles in, the stars come out and fill the sky. This would be a great place to get photos for you astrophotographers out there! As for the wildlife, you can expect to find a few exotic birds in the trees outside of your tents. Security at the resort is comforting to note as well. Relax, and enjoy the beauty around you!

Thank you resort staff for making my Kenyan experience most enjoyable! Again sometime? I think so!

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed October 15, 2012

I went there because one of the owners was also the adviser for my study-abroad group. It was fantastic- we hiked all over the hills, drank lots of Tusker, had a bonfire, and ate delicious food cooked by his wife! This is really a great place. And that was before the renovations!

A very beautiful, well-priced resort.

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled with friends