“Looks good on the outside but is terrible on the inside”

Lilleshall National Sports and Conferencing Centre
Ranked #1 of 1 Lilleshall B&B and Inns
Reviewed October 13, 2013

I stayed at the Lilleshall National Sports Centre as part of table tennis on the weekend of 12/13th October. From the outside the place looks fantastic but its a whole different story inside. My floor in my room had not been cleaned and found various things on the floor. In the bathroom i found the shower head was low and tried to move it up and by doing so the pipe attached to the shower came off, i managed to put it back on but then when i had a shower the water wasn't hot, lukewarm at best. In terms of the food it isn't a restaurant it is just a canteen with hardly any choice of food and breakfast times are absolutely ridiculous (7:30-8:30) on a Sunday morning. I am so glad it was only a weekend stay and that i didn't have to pay for any of it as it was paid for me by the English Table Tennis Association. One word AVOID!!!!!

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled on business
2  Thank MrtT87
L_Moore_Manager, Manager at Lilleshall National Sports and Conferencing Centre, responded to this reviewResponded October 25, 2013

Thank you for providing feedback following your recent stay at Lilleshall on a table tennis sporting camp. I was disappointed and concerned to learn of your dissatisfaction. High standards of cleanliness and guest comfort in our rooms are extremely important to us and I assure you that what you describe is unusual. I am so very sorry to hear that you did not experience our usual standards. I would be grateful if you could contact me as soon as possible with the room number you stayed in so that we can find out exactly what happened here and ensure it doesn’t happen again. I appreciate that you may not remember the room number, however if you can tell us the name of the accommodation block and floor that would help. You can send this information to enquiries.lilleshall@serco.com. As you say, the service in the dining room is more akin to a cafeteria, with tray service and self-clearance. It is not a typical restaurant, with diners frequently dressed in sports attire and aged anywhere from 8 to 80. Meal times are agreed with Sport England at times to meet with needs / schedules of typical sporting camps. We did provide an early lunch to meet the requirements of your camp organisers. I am sorry that you weren’t happy with the choice of food. Our breakfast offering that weekend, as per usual, consisted of poached and scrambled eggs, bacon, sausage, baked beans, fresh tomatoes, toast & preserves, natural yoghurt, strawberry yoghurt, fruit of the forest, fresh fruit salad and grapefruit segments, Danish pastries, 5 choices of cereals, selection of teas, coffees, hot chocolate, orange juice and squash. The lunch menu is homemade soup with fresh bread, 2 x main choices, a vegetarian option, baked potatoes with fillings, 2 carbohydrates, 2 vegetables, a hot dessert, chilled dessert selection (at least 5 choices), salad bar. Our own research tells us that the majority of our customers are delighted with the selection available, however we are sorry that you feel there wasn’t much choice. Thank you once again for your feedback and we look forward to hearing from you with more information on the room you were in.

Reviewed August 17, 2013

We stayed here to attend a model airs how at Weston Park. I had not realised precisely what it was but the place was lovely. The room wasabi great and the staff had arranged to zip link the beds which was lovely. We ate at they centre as it s a bit remote and not too easy to find anywhere else. The food was very uninspiring and very canteenish, in fact that is what the eating arrangements were. Apart from that our room and the lovely grounds were superb.
The reception staff seemed pretty disinterested and kept me waiting while they discussed house keeping issues

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank amanda5356
Reviewed July 28, 2013

We went to a wedding reception here at the end of July 2013. It's impressive from the moment you enter the long driveway. The weather was perfect, which always helps, and the setting is perfect for wedding photographs. We started with drinks on the terrace and moved to a plush function room for the main reception. The food was superb and the service both efficient and friendly. Very impressed and we were told that it was a reasonable cost compared to others venues the bride and groom had considered. Great day.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed June 21, 2013

I have been fortunate with my job to have travelled worldwide and stayed in many great locations and Lilleshall is one of them.

Set in amazing grounds the accommodation and facilities are excellent. I have stayed at Lilleshall every year for 7 years now and always enjoy my time there. With great food and staff that cannot do enough for you I look forward to returning each year.

You know its a great venue when you see our Olympic athletes staying there and using its facilities.

Reviewed June 17, 2013

I have stayed in Lilleshall often over the past few years and have always enjoyed my stay.
The staff are friendly and the accommodation is really comfortable. One of my favourite parts of staying there has to be the Food. It is delicious. Look forward to returning again in the near future.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled on business
L_Moore_Manager, General Manager at Lilleshall National Sports and Conferencing Centre, responded to this reviewResponded June 18, 2013

Thank you for staying at Lilleshall regularly and also for providing valuable this feedback. It is good to hear that you find our staff friendly, our accommodation comfortable and that you enjoy the food here. We look forward to seeing you again soon.

Reviewed June 16, 2013

Great accommodation and excellent food. Beautiful surroundings and honoured to be somewhere that GB athletes stayed before and after they won medals at the London Olympics.....feels like a part of history!!!!

Room Tip: Rooms on the top level are quieter
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled on business

Thank you for providing feedback following your recent stay. We are delighted to hear that you enjoyed the accommodation, food and our beautiful gardens. We hope to see you again soon.

Reviewed June 16, 2013

I have had yet another fantastic stay at Lilleshall this week, where the staff are amazing, the surroundings stunning, the facilities great and the food was as per usual first class. The only problem with going to Lilleshall is that I have to go home.

I have stayed at Lilleshall once or twice a year for the last 7 years and the place is like a second home, the staff are amazing, so friendly and also accommodating.
I stay there for training courses for my company and I have had a great stay every time, the rooms are more than adequate for my needs and I stay in hotels quite frequently. In fact I spent £550 on a room for one night in central London recently and the service, standards and overall experience was no where near the service you get at Lilleshall for a fraction of the price.

The test for me is that i look forward to my stays at Lilleshall every time, and every time I leave I feel far more relaxed than before I arrived. It's a great place with great people.

During this visit I have noticed that there have been some great improvements that have made the place even better, and I am sure there will be far more to come.

The only down side (which in not down to Lilleshall) is the mobile & 3G signal, but being in such a remote area with beautiful surroundings will always have its downsides, and I can have a rubbish signal at my office in East London. Also not being able to have a good mobile signal has untold other benefits such as I can actually switch off for a change.

The broadband is great and the staff have always facilitated everything from faxes, emails, private landline calls and conference calls when necessary. And never asked a penny for it. You wouldn't get that kind of service in many places. From my years of experience I know that.

Keep it up Lilleshall & the team and I look forward to coming back soon!

Mario

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled on business
Also consider these accommodations in or near Lilleshall
Holiday Inn Telford - Ironbridge
Park House Hotel
Park House Hotel
#2 of 4 in Shifnal
The White House Hotel and Restaurant

Been to Lilleshall National Sports and Conferencing Centre? Share your experiences!