Lilleshall National Sports and Conferencing Centre
Ranked #1 of 1 Lilleshall B&B and Inns
Northern Ireland
“Home from Home”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 17, 2013

I have stayed in Lilleshall often over the past few years and have always enjoyed my stay.
The staff are friendly and the accommodation is really comfortable. One of my favourite parts of staying there has to be the Food. It is delicious. Look forward to returning again in the near future.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
L_Moore_Manager, General Manager at Lilleshall National Sports and Conferencing Centre, responded to this review, June 18, 2013
Thank you for staying at Lilleshall regularly and also for providing valuable this feedback. It is good to hear that you find our staff friendly, our accommodation comfortable and that you enjoy the food here. We look forward to seeing you again soon.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (14)
London, England, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 16, 2013

Great accommodation and excellent food. Beautiful surroundings and honoured to be somewhere that GB athletes stayed before and after they won medals at the London Olympics.....feels like a part of history!!!!

Room Tip: Rooms on the top level are quieter
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
Thank you for providing feedback following your recent stay. We are delighted to hear that you enjoyed the accommodation, food and our beautiful gardens. We hope to see you again soon.
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 16, 2013

I have had yet another fantastic stay at Lilleshall this week, where the staff are amazing, the surroundings stunning, the facilities great and the food was as per usual first class. The only problem with going to Lilleshall is that I have to go home.

I have stayed at Lilleshall once or twice a year for the last 7 years and the place is like a second home, the staff are amazing, so friendly and also accommodating.
I stay there for training courses for my company and I have had a great stay every time, the rooms are more than adequate for my needs and I stay in hotels quite frequently. In fact I spent £550 on a room for one night in central London recently and the service, standards and overall experience was no where near the service you get at Lilleshall for a fraction of the price.

The test for me is that i look forward to my stays at Lilleshall every time, and every time I leave I feel far more relaxed than before I arrived. It's a great place with great people.

During this visit I have noticed that there have been some great improvements that have made the place even better, and I am sure there will be far more to come.

The only down side (which in not down to Lilleshall) is the mobile & 3G signal, but being in such a remote area with beautiful surroundings will always have its downsides, and I can have a rubbish signal at my office in East London. Also not being able to have a good mobile signal has untold other benefits such as I can actually switch off for a change.

The broadband is great and the staff have always facilitated everything from faxes, emails, private landline calls and conference calls when necessary. And never asked a penny for it. You wouldn't get that kind of service in many places. From my years of experience I know that.

Keep it up Lilleshall & the team and I look forward to coming back soon!

Mario

Hayling Island
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 16, 2013

We have been coming to Lilleshall now for approximately 15 years and we keep coming back. The venue is outstanding the staff are exceptional and the customer service we receive is the best anyone could expect - we are always treated like part of an extended family. Lilelshall has also recently upgraded a lot of its accommodation to a very high standard and there is now wifi in each room. The food is always excellent and the training facilities are of the highest standard. It is a beautiful historic venue with phenomenal grounds and we love it there. I cant recommend it highly enough.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
We are delighted that you have been coming to Lilleshall regularly for the last 15 years and we are pleased that you have noticed the many improvements we have made recently. Thank you for providing feedback and we look forward to welcoming you back again in the near future.
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 6, 2013

I stayed one night, the room was allocated at the Kent hall. The location has beautiful view of garden. I was
only disappointed by food. I ordered a burger and it was very dry although the portion size was big!

• Stayed June 2013
Thank you for providing valuable feedback on your recent stay. I am delighted to hear you describe us as an 'amazing and fantastic place' and it is good to know that you appreciated the beautiful views of the gardens from the Kent Hall accommodation. I am concerned that the burger you received was dry and your comments have been passed to our Catering Manager for his attention. We hope to see you again soon.
Kippax, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 3, 2013 via mobile

We recently attended a ceroc dance workshop and freestyle dance, the event was well organised and the evening dance was one of the best I have been to, my partner had booked the accommodation and I don't think she had realised what sort of venue it was,i think she thought it might be more like a country hotel, well its not its a sports centree, we stayed one night the room was adequate but not luxurious but you cant really class this as a hotel, and it didn't feel like one,we had breakfast which was ok but felt like I was back at school, when we checked in the reception staff didn't explain what time breakfast was or where we ate,they were not very welcoming we didnt have our evening meal there, we ate at the fox pub which was very good, if we attended another ceroc addiction event here which was first class and couldn't fault I would stay at the nearby premier inn

• Stayed May 2013
L_Moore_Manager, General Manager at Lilleshall National Sports and Conferencing Centre, responded to this review, June 6, 2013
Thank you for staying at Lilleshall National Sports Centre recently and for providing valued feedback. It is good to know that you enjoyed the dance event held here, however I am concerned to learn that the accommodation and service didn’t meet with your expectations. Your booking was made via laterooms.com and our entry does clearly state that we are a National Sports Centre and that accommodation is in 3 separate accommodation areas close to the Main House. We do not claim to be a hotel, however our campus style rooms have been refurbished this year and have been accredited with a 4* standard by Quality in Tourism. Breakfast is cafeteria style self-service in our recently refurbished Residents’ Dining Room, located in the Main House, which is the former hunting lodge of the Duke of Sutherland. We offer an extensive choice of hot and cold breakfast items and our own customer feedback indicates that the majority of our customers rate it as good or excellent. We have taken on board your comments and have now included the breakfast timings on our Laterooms.com room descriptions and we have also now indicated that breakfast is a cafeteria style service. I apologise that you didn’t find our staff welcoming. This is certainly not the standard of service we typically provide and this issue is already being addressed. I hope you will choose to stay here again next time you attend a Ceroc dance event so that we may prove that this was an isolated incident.
Steyning, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 12, 2013

This was our second reunion meeting at Lilleshall and standards of service do seem to have slipped over the past two years. The location is stunning, with the National Sports Centre being set in the glorious,extensive and wooded grounds of an old hunting Lodge. Our spacious room in Kent Hall had magnificent views over the beautifully maintained gardens so this should have been a wonderful stay. Also it is an honour to share the Centre with dedicated athletes and there are opportunities to watch training events. There are however no sports/swimming or gym facilities that are open to non athletes staying at the Centre.

When we arrived our room was really cold. There is no written information to say when the central heating system comes on but when it got to 5 pm we complained and were given a portable heater. We were also told that the boiler had broken down but given no indication when it would be repaired. The heating did start to work the next day but then didn't work on the following two days.The bar was also cold and our special reunion dinner was spoilt by the low temperature in the Chapters restaurant, combined with rather "hit and miss" service. Not all the meals came out together and we were expected to remember what we had ordered several months earlier.You have to buy any wine at the bar adjacent to Chapters and take it to the table yourself. However this wasn't explained and it took some time to work out what the system was.

The self service restaurant is reminiscent of school but we had the privilege of eating alongside the athletes. However the quality of the food was not as high as on our previous visit. Also the opening times are quite restricted. For example breakfast is only served between 7.30 and 8.30 am and staff don't encourage you to linger. When one of our party asked for a coffee mug to get a drink from the self service machine she was told to use a paper one as it was near to closing time. The attitude of staff across the centre was variable. Some were very helpful but others were so indifferent and unhelpful that they were almost rude.

Our room and the whole Centre appeared to be very clean but the accommodation is "no frills". There were just about enough towels in the bathroom but while there was a shower gel dispenser by both the bath and the shower, there was no bar soap or soap dispenser by the basin.

There was no phone in our room and so any discussion with reception staff involved a short walk out of our block to the main hall. We had reasonable mobile signals but some of our party didn't. The Wi Fi however was excellent.

You can't buy newspapers or anything other than a few basic toiletries at the Centre so be prepared to drive the five miles or so to Newport to get anything that you need.

The main purpose of the Centre is to provide training facilities for a wide range of sports and perhaps it is difficult to balance this with the other side of the business; weddings, meetings and events where guests have different expectations.

Room Tip: The rooms on the top floor of Kent Hall have great views over the garden.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
4 Thank susan b
L_Moore_Manager, General Manager at Lilleshall National Sports and Conferencing Centre, responded to this review, June 5, 2013
Please accept my apologies that your experience was cold and somewhat indifferent. This is certainly not to the standards that are set for this Centre. It was very frustrating to learn that you were cold both in your bedroom and the restaurant, particularly as the Centre has emergency technical call out cover to rectify any such problems. Having investigated this issue, we did have a controls malfunction with the new heating system, which is very rare indeed following the refurbishment of Kent Hall last year. We do stock around 40 portable heaters on site and again apologies if you were not offered a heater to be put in your room during this breakdown. Likewise, all rooms are provided with standard toiletries and I can only apologise if items were missing. Regarding your meal, I do fully accept your comments and speaking to the team I concur with you that there were issues with this particular service, which are being addressed and I can only apologise that our usual standards were not met.

Notwithstanding the problems with your visit I would like to offer some reassurance to you that complaints of this nature are very rare indeed. We do collate customer feedback and over the last 12 months over 90% of customer returns have rated their overall experience here as either good or excellent and I do hope you will not be put off from returning to Lilleshall in the future.
Your comments and feedback have been discussed fully with the team and we are committed to ensuring we get it right every time.

Travelers are raving about these Lilleshall hotels

Also consider these accommodations in or near Lilleshall
Premier Inn Newport/Telford Hotel
Buckatree Hall Hotel
Buckatree Hall Hotel
#3 of 21 in Telford
4.0 of 5 bubbles 1,122 reviews

Been to Lilleshall National Sports and Conferencing Centre? Share your experiences!