Lilleshall National Sports and Conferencing Centre
Ranked #1 of 1 Lilleshall B&B and Inns
Evesham, United Kingdom
“2nd visit”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 8, 2012

This is the second time we have spent time at Lilleshall and I must say the improvement was really marked. The staff could not have been more helpful. Our room was not the one we were expecting but they went out of their way to accommodate us with another room. We stayed in Kent Hall and the refurbishments have made a great difference. The grounds are really lovely and well kept. There was bowling and archery being played during the afternoon and it was a pleasure to watch.
We had a barbeque on the Saturday and the food was brilliant. The only moan I do have, was with the meal on Friday night, certainly not up to the standard of the following day. Overall it was a very pleasant week end and would I go again --- yes most defiantly.

Room Tip: Try Kent hall
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (14)
Sandy, Beds
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 5, 2012

The was a Regimental Association weekend gathering with a specially arranged BBQ on the Saturday evening. I must say I had mixed feeling about having BBQ where the cooking was done by the hotel staff but when I saw the sumptuous spread of food, all the meat, sausages and kebabs having been cooked outside on barbeques I was really pleasantly surprised. There were spicy sausages, beef and pork kebabs, piri piri chicken and then loads of large dishes of various salads, rice, cous cous, hot dauphinoise potatoes(these were particularly tasty) and bread rolls. There was much more food than we could eat despite some members going back for seconds and even thirds. There was a large bar with a very good selection of beers, lagers, wines and spirits and very efficient bar staff.
30+ of us were accommodated in Kent Hall , a modern three storey block with all bedrooms ensuite, not large but adequate, ample cupboard space and overlooking the large lawns and surrounding trees. The rooms were clean, well presented and the bed comfortable, in fact I found nothing to complain about. I believe these rooms may have been recently renovated.
The Lilleshall Sports & Conference Centre is quite an amazing place, set in beautiful park-like surroundings with masses of huge trees, you seem to be completely isolated from the outside world, a really relaxing place - if you havn’t gone there for a sports course. It was originally built in 1831 as a Hunting Lodge and family retreat for the Duke of Sutherland, designed by the architect Sir John Wyattville and the gardens inspired by Capability Brown. My wife and I really enjoyed this short break and all our members were very satisfied with all the arrangements.

Room Tip: It is an isolated venue near Newport Shropshire but easiest thing is to put TF10 9LQ into your satna...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
Wigan
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 7, 2012

I am gobsmacked at the comments on this site. I recently held a conference in Lilleshall's newly refurbished Ford Hall; stayed in the refurbished Kent Hall accommodation block and ate in the newly refurbished dining hall. I don't know how much money they have spent on this place but it is really looking good! I also had an evening in Chapters restaurant and the food and wine were excellent!
The grounds were stunning and a pleasure to walk through at the of a hard day. To top it all off, the staff were friendly and extremely helpful from the time I got there.
I will certainly be using this venue again and I understand that further enhancements to the venue are going to be made next year.

Room Tip: Opt for Kent Hall and not Clayton Hall if possible. A little more expensive but well worth it.
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
2 Thank Ethan336
Preston, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 28, 2012

I stayed here for 11 days to do a Master's Personal trainer course. My accommodation was at the Lille shall National Sports center, we ate lived and breathed here 24 hour a day for 11 days.

The food - Rubbish, this is supposed to be 4 stars food and good nutrition for athletes. The main dinners consisted of carbs, carbs, carbs and more carbs, We had to keep requested protein on which we were offered chicken breasts constantly for the entire duration of our time here. The staff seemed very helpful and tried to do their best and offer us the most but the kitchen were obviously un-happy about having to look after us. The veg options were always very greasy and what looked like a salad bar consisted of bowls full of yet again more carbs and little protein. It was appalling food. same again for breakfast, very little healthy options, i expected much more from the National sports centre. shame.

Accommodation was seriously out dated. shared cubical rooms that had walk in shower rooms and had mold around each corner of the walls. The cleaner only made my bed up every day (by tucking in the sheets after i had made it already) I don't think they changed my sheets once. they quickly hovered the room and left a fresh towel but that was as far as it went. The layout of the room was very out dated and dingy, when staying away solid and working/studying for 11 days solid I was shocked at how hard the beds were and how terrible the overall rooms were. Not a tad of luxury at all.

I would NEVER EVER stay here again.

Despite this the reception were great and the staff were all great, the hotel grounds and the course i did were fabulous - but sadly they don't have the right to say it's a great place to stay overnight at all.

A big FAT 0 out of 10 !!

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends
2 Thank Lou P

Travelers are raving about these Lilleshall hotels

shropshire
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 10, 2012

We attended my cousins wedding yesterday. Overall we had a fab day, but this was because we let many things 'slide' as nobody wanted to upset the day. From the moment we arrived and went to reception to check in, i felt like the receptionist was not happy and very defensive when we tried to iron out minor errors with the bookings. Nobodys fault, and we just wanted to check in, but she obviously felt the need to act in this way. I felt like they were not happy to have us there. Not welcoming at all but i ignored it as we were so looking forward to having a lovely day.

I have extensive experience of workiing in an environment where customer service is the most important part of the business so i am aware that i expect high standards. For this reason, i don't always complain, as long as i have a smile and i feel welcome, i'm happy enough. Also, in my experience, if a receptionist is defensive about small things that you just need addressing, it's usually because they have a lot of complaints!

The rooms were average but very clean and what you would expect from a sports facility, but not what you would expect from a hotel. The plastic cups had been used before and turned upside down to be used again - they had mouth marks around the rims - yuk! The biggest problem was that many of the bedrooms were 'freezing' cold, my 8 year old son woke at 2.30am upset because he was so cold, even though i had put extra clothing on him. I had to use bath towels and a coat as makeshift blankets on his bed. There is no way of contacting reception from your room and i had no mobile phone signal. I didn't want to leave him/take him out in the night to find someone who could help with extra bedding.

We spoke to reception staff in the morning who said that athletes had checked out the same morning and not mentioned being cold. They also said if it had been cold, the buildings thermostat would have kicked in... Completely defensive and unapproachable... Doesn't change the fact that we were freezing to the point i was shivering under the duvet. More than half of our party that stayed over had the same problem. I spoke to 2 people who said there room was ok but they are used to sleeping with windows open regardless of the weather. The beds were very hard which i personally don't mind but my children complained anout theirs being lumpy and hard.

To recap, the positives are the food which was very enjoyable. The grounds are amazing and very well kept. On a negative note, I certainly got the feeling that maybe they are great at hosing athletic/sports teams but in my opinion, the staff do not have the right attitude to deal with a wedding party. The only time i did feel warmth from any of the staff was at breakfast from the kitchen staff - they were lovely.

I think the message here is they are a sports centre. A wedding is such a special, personal day that has been planned and looked forward to for so long, not to mention saved up for! I would not recommend lilleshall as a wedding venue until the staff have been 'rebriefed' and extensively retrained to work in an industry that is very different to hosting sporting events.

Lilleshall, you have the facilities to be a fantastic place and setting for very special days, your hosting staff are letting you down......

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
4 Thank netsShropshire
Shropshire
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 13, 2012

I contacted Lilleshall because me and my partner were interested in holding our Wedding reception there.
After looking through the brochure i realised there wasn't any prices for the childrens menu so i contacted them to ask about these but they couldn't tell me over the phone so i had to wait a week for them to come back to me with the prices.
I then tried to make an appointment to arrange to go and have a look around Anne emailed me back a couple of days later to say they could do Friday 17th February 2012 i emailed straight back to say we had another appointment that day so couldn't make that one but we were free any other day. Anne didnt email back so i emailed her again and again and i am still to this day waiting for someone to come back to me.
I feel their customer service skills are poor and they have a can't be bothered attitude.
This venue is no longer an option for us to consider for our Wedding.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
4 Thank kpabarbie
Manchester, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 11, 2011

I was told i'd be working here for a few weeks and it would make sense to stay on site. Never again. I stayed in 6 different rooms over 6 weeks. Receptionists were upperty and rude and seemed to only have time for other staff. General maintenance was non existent, carpets threadbare, wardrobe doors hanging off, laughable excuse for wireless internet, showers that are impossible to get to a bearable temperature, clanking pipes at all hours of the day, i could go on. The cleaners do their best, but it must be difficult for them in such a horrible place.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled on business
3 Thank Nick R
Also consider these accommodations in or near Lilleshall
Premier Inn Newport/Telford Hotel
Buckatree Hall Hotel
Buckatree Hall Hotel
#3 of 21 in Telford
4.0 of 5 bubbles 1,121 reviews

Been to Lilleshall National Sports and Conferencing Centre? Share your experiences!