“Don't stay here”

Indiana Kenanga Villas
Ranked #7 of 27 Hotels in Nusa Lembongan
Reviewed January 9, 2014

Apologies for the long review all, however, If there is one review you scan through - it should be this one.

The bad:

AMENITIES AND INFRASTRUCTURE:

Air conditioning:
If you like to come back to a cool room or get a good night"s sleep - then do not stay here. The villas have tiny air conditioners that simply cannot cool the sheer space of each villa (they have high roofs). When we walked in on the first day it was like a sauna. We put the air con on for an hour yet it didn't change anything - so we tried the fan but all that did was circulate the hot air. I complained to the front desk and they sent a worker to press a few buttons on the AC remote, mumble something - then walk away - never to be seen again. Nothing had changed, so I approached the front desk again. This time the reception clerk told me he would get an engineer to check the unit. 2 hours later and I was asked to revisit the room to check the temperature. Nothing had changed and no sign of any engineer. It was at this point that the clerk admitted the villas were hot but he'd show me another room that would be cooler. I checked that- and it was the same deal. However my fiancé thought we may as we'll move as it might be slightly better. This is when I gave up. We stayed for 3 hot nights and resorted to dragging the mattress into the ground - below the AC unit - to catch any slightly cool air before it escaped to the ceiling. We were also only given one room key, which had the swipe card that powers the room. We ended up detaching the swipe card from the key ring and just left the AC on 24/7 for 3 days. Testament to how warm the rooms were, this still didn't make the rooms cool. They were definitely more bearable but still not up to adequate standards. I would've checked out the first night however I had already paid in advance.

Iron: the villas are not equipped with an iron or ironing board. We waited half an hour for a sole iron to be delivered - fresh in its box - to our room. When we asked whether they had an ironing board, they responded with 'no'.

Hair dryer: the hair dryer in the villas are tiny and are completely useless. If I'd actually tried to blow dry my hair with it, it would have taken a couple of hours. I did bring my own hairdryer however the power outlet fried it. This was my fault as I knew my hair dryer didn't have a voltage switch, however, I didn't have any problems elsewhere in Bali!

Soap: the villas are offered just one bar of soap.

Telephone:
I am not sure why there is a telephone in the room when you cannot make outside calls. The contact a salon or snorkelling business - you have to go to front desk. This is a painstaking process as, while the staff are nice enough, they speak broken English (I don't expect a cleaner or gardener to be able to speak English- but do expect those manning a reception desk to be able to understand simple requests.

Toilets:
The toilets are connected to a 'bio system'. Usually that does not flush unless you hold the button down for a minute. Quite annoying in the middle of the night. And a few occasions the toilet refused to flush completely.

SERVICE:
Bar staff: I don't expect or enjoy being waited an hand and foot, however, the service is pretty lack lustre. When sitting at the pool and ordering a few drinks- you'd think the staff would ask whether you'd like another or bring your drinks to the deckchair. I wouldn't expect this everywhere but do expect such standards at accommodation that sells itself as 4 star and 'luxury'.

Breakfast: They served cold eggs up to us with the yolks way too runny.

Pool: Both pool areas had people lounging in the scare pool-side deck chairs that we're not staying at the hotel. I overheard a conversation between a couple and a bar staff member - in which the couple were told that they could use the pool area if they bought drinks. They bought a tea... I don't believe luxury hotels should operate like a community pool or disadvantage their paying guests.

Cleaning: room turn down did not occur each day until around midday or 1pm- usually just when we had returned from a morning adventure and wanted to freshen up.

The good:
Restaurant: The French restaurant at this hotel is very good and deserves the good feedback regularly found on TripAdvisor. Unfortunately, I think some positive reviews about this hotel have been skewed by the quality on offer at the restaurant. A restaurant does not make a hotel.

Crepes: the crepes from the pool area are delicious!

Wifi: great wifi - it was very fast and accessible.

SUMMARY:
I would not recommend this hotel, as it is certainly not 4 star and not worth $270 a night, nor does it live up to its 'luxury' branding. I could live with all of the hotel's transgressions except the inadequate air conditioning. Unfortunately, for a hotel that seems to spend a lot of money on good quality restaurant produce and chef - the main hotel has been done on the cheap.

Room Tip: If you don't mind ineffective air con, stay here.
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Samanthacairns

Reviewed January 5, 2014

I stayed here a while ago and was disappointed with my stay considering the price I paid. The villas are well presented, especially the bathrooms. The bedrooms are very dark inside and lighting which is dim needs to be on the majority of the time. I didn't feel I was in luxury having experienced 5 star spas on Bali, I would give it 3 stars, the restaurant. The beach outside is very disappointing, full of boats and you would have to go to another part of the island for a clean swim. Sitting out front having a drink is not relaxing, lots of passers by, mostly Australian ruin the ambience. Fixtures, fittings and restaurant potentially 4 star but experience is 3 star. The owners have done the best they can but location and is a let down. Would not return.

Room Tip: Stick to spas on Bali, not good value for money and location is wrong.
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled solo
3  Thank RoamAnswer
Reviewed January 4, 2014 via mobile

This place is wonderful! We are staying in a villa with a fully enclosed courtyard. The room and the bathroom are huge! We got picked up from the boat with no problem and the manager is very friendly. The room has everything you need and is exceptionally presented. The pool is beautiful and just steps a way from the beach. Very relaxing stay :)

Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Beth_09124
Reviewed December 20, 2013

I stayed here for one night. The hotel staff are very helpful especially the resort manager. The food is unbelievably great and its pricing is reasonable given it is provided on Lembongan not Bali.The hotel is right on the beach. Very good location. Nice pool! I couldn't ride a bike so I rented with a rider at rp 250,000 for 5 hours. That is enough to go around the island to get a glimpse. At the end, my rider taught me to ride his scooter. It is very easy and fun. So your trip will be so much fun if you can ride or learn it! I will definitely go back and stay at the hotel!

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank c_salvarin
Reviewed December 19, 2013

(I just found this review from a year ago which I forgot to publish)

Positives
- relaxing pool
- cosy villa
- great restaurant with a great chef. great food and not expensive. we stayed 3 nights and had dinner in the hotel restaurant all three of them we felt intrigued by the menu and wanted to taste as much as possible of it. quite sure it was second to none in the island in terms of food quality (true the island is tiny). the dishes were very well thought and presented and there are hints of michelin experience in it. the chef worked at several michelin star restaurants in france.
- a nice gesture from the chef was that he was present at the restaurant all three nights and went table by table talking to all his customers.

Negatives
- would probably drop the word luxury from the name as it could be misleading by western standards of luxury.

Other
- My second favourite hotel out of the 3 we stayed in Bali (see also Payogan and Courtyard Marriot)

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Madrider86
Reviewed December 9, 2013

After arriving at our accommodation on Lembongan we realised it wasn't what we envisaged, SO, we jumped online and saw what 5 star resorts were around and ended up at Indiana Kenanga. All I can say is it was the best "by chance" decision we made on out trip! After getting picked up we were dropped at the Indianas creperie for our welcome drinks, then showed to out rooms which were villas 4 and 5 which were located only steps from the pool and restraint which is directly on the beach! The food was absolutely amazing as the chef has 3 Michelin Stars, the rooms are amazing, the staff very friendly and accommodating and they can organise everything for you. Make sure you go on the snorkeling tour, they pick you up right I front of the hotel on the beach and in minutes your seeing amazing coral and sealife! I would definitely reccommend Indiana to friends family and everyone, thank you!!

• Stayed: November 2013
1  Thank AdamWAPerth
Reviewed December 9, 2013

This hotel was lovely. It was quiet, being low season and small, only 20 rooms/villas. We had our own private walled garden area and we had been put quite close to the beach which was great.There were rooms quite a way back from the beach which we wouldn't have liked to have stayed at. The crepes at the Crepes Pool bar were delicious. We had one meal at the restaurant run by the French chef and it was very unusual but nice.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
1  Thank Gabby854