Hambro Arms
The Crown Hotel(Blandford Forum)
$83
The Fiddleford Inn(Sturminster Newton)
The Saxon Inn(Child Okeford)
$95
TripAdvisor
The Casterbridge(Dorchester)
$125
$111
  • Breakfast included
Best Western Wessex Royal Hotel(Dorchester)(Great Value!)
$100
$87
Travelocity
Junction Hotel(Dorchester)
$107
The Crown Inn(Marnhull)
$127
$101
Premier Inn Dorchester(Dorchester)(Great Value!)
$82
PremierInn.com
  • Restaurant
The Greyhound Inn(Dorchester)
$127
$102
Hotels.com
Hotels.com
All reviewsthe pubpicturesque villagekings roomadequate storage spaceno mobile phone signalolde worldewonderful pubroast dinnermilton abbeyevening meals arepretty villagebooked a tablereceived a warm welcomestayed here for nightsfantastic weekendyorkshire puddingnight stay
FilterAll languages
Reviewed January 2, 2014

Wow, what a find in deepest Dorset.
I have wanted to come and stay here for ages, this year my dream was fulfilled.
Arriving on Saturday twixmas for 4 nights. We celebrated our wedding anniversary and New Year's Eve. The Gala dinner put on was excellent. All the way through our stay we were met with happy staff, nothing was too much trouble, and smiles galore.
The Pub was peaceful at night one could have heard the proverbial 'pin drop' The bed so comfortable, the beer was excellent, even though it was 'Doom Bar' from Cornwall. Good selection of house wines and a fair selection of bubbly.
I would certainly stay again when the opportunity presents itself.
Have a great peaceful stay and they do deals on E Bay too, so discounts are possible.
Absolutely made my New Year and Anniversary this year.
Hope to see you all soon

Room Tip: There are several rooms, with a 4 poster, and an iron bed. We had the smallest room but the shower was great every morning.
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed December 17, 2013

Excellent food great service very friendly staff very pretty Dorset Village. I had to ask for breakfast to be served early as leaving early and they were very happy to do this. Would highly recommend to everyone

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed November 17, 2013

5 of us attended the recent gourmet evening and what a fantastic evening it was. Each course was accompanied by a delicious glass of wine. Food and service was top class and all of us thought that it was superb value for money, given the high quality of food and wine served.
We are all looking forward to the next special event. We have visited the pub and dined on several occasions and have always received a warm welcome from the little cheeky and cute manager and his team. Thanks guys, look forward to seeing you again soon!

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed November 1, 2013

I stayed at the Hambro Arms for three nights while visiting friends who live locally. I arrived in the afternoon, before the St Judes storm struck, a journey I may not have made had I not booked my room in advance.

I’m glad I made the journey as I had a fantastic time in Dorset and a very pleasurable stay in the Kings Room of the Hambro Arms.

I had been to the pub before for a drink a couple of years ago and it was, to my mind anyway, a typical country pub. So when my friend recommended me a couple of places to stay nearby, I was drawn to the Hambro because it had a good feel to the place, and that it was offering three nights for the price of two helped a long way as well.

On my arrival I was greeted at the bar and shown to my room, where on route I was given a little history of the pub and some of my rooms quaint quirks.

The room was beyond my expectation. I have stayed in 4 and 5 star hotels in Britain where they don’t give as much thought to a room’s décor. The colours and furnishings of the bedroom where within keeping of an old pub, but with the comforts of the twenty first century, and the bathroom was twice as big as my own at home and much nicer. All in all the room was more than worth the money I paid for it.

That said, one of my gripes (all be it a minor one) was that the old door didn’t sit flush with the frame and let in a lot of light from the landing, one of the quirks from an eighteenth century building I guess. I managed to solve the problem with the help of the abundant cushions in the room and a bit of creativity.

The other thing I was concerned about was that they old looking windows would perhaps let in a draft and a lot of noise from the oncoming storm we were expecting that night. I needn’t have worried, there was no draft and even though I could hear the storm around the building I still managed to sleep through most of it.

While I am on negative points, the only other one that I had was that I did get a lot of noise from the bar and restaurant down below. This only happened once, when I popped back to my room after a day’s sightseeing and needed a late afternoon nap. Luckily, most of the time I was out and did not return to the room before midnight, but I suspect that if I were an early sleeper I might not be able to when the pub was open.

As that didn’t affect me my stay at the Hambro was pleasant and I would definitely return when I am next in that part of the world.

I didn’t eat at the restaurant other than for breakfast, but the menu looked very appealing and the prices seemed reasonable. The breakfasts were what you would expect; I had the full English on all three mornings and enjoyed it very much. The only improvement would perhaps be a larger choice of cereal and maybe some fresh fruit.

To my mind if you are visiting Dorset then you couldn’t go wrong by spending a few nights here.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed September 15, 2013

What a find.

I arrived late at night owing to a delay in the ferry I was travelling on. It was not a nice evening, very wet and arriving on a motor cycle I expect I didn't particularly endear myself to anyone, walking not the bar, soaking wet !
But I was given a great, warm welcome. I was shown to my room, which was beautiful.
I got changed very quickly and got down to the bar just in time to get a couple of pints in before it closed. There was a great selection of good real ales, which were in good condition.

Although I was too late to try any food, the menu looked very appetising and judging by the quality of the breakfast which was served to me, I'm sure their food would have been very good.

In the morning I awoke to a beautiful day and had a nice pre breakfast wander around this 'picture postcard' village.

I will definitely be returning.

Stayed: August 2013, traveled solo