“Lovely place to chill”

Cocoliso Island Resort
Melbourne, Australia
“Lovely place to chill”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 9, 2011

Took the boat from busy cartegena and went to cocoliso for a day trip. Loved the slow vibe and laid nature of the complex compared with the hustle of boca grande. Not a modern resort, more a charming love boat feel. Will certainly be going back but next time for several nights. Food was fresh and authentic. I'd recommend the cocoloco cocktail - delicious!

• Stayed May 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Ben_B_Melbourne

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
New York City, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 6, 2009

I have traveled to Colombia many times to visit family. This time I went with my sister and a friend to explore. We LOVED Cocoliso. We went based on the recommendation of the owner of the hostel we stayed at in Cartagena, Hostal Leonella in Bocagrande. Great advice. We stayed overnight; paid 230.000 pesos incl tax. What a bargain! The speed boat that took us there was fast, clean and safe. When we arrived at the resort approx 1 hour later, it was like stepping onto Fantasy Island. Our host Manual waited on the dock for us. We went during low-season so we were one of two groups staying for the night. There were many others staying for the day only. It was great because we got personalized service. The room was clean and ample. My only complaint was there was barely any water pressure to shower with but we managaed. It was only for one night. We got a free welcome drink...so delicious. The grounds were beautiful and so much to explore. We negiotated a speed boat tour of the islands during sunset. We paid 80,000 pesos for 90-minutes with locals. Fabulous views. We got some great pictures. Dinner was EXCELLENT! I am not particularly a fish eater but Manuel had a parmesan-encrusted fish made for us that evening with coconut rice and fresh vegetables that was literally the best meal I've ever had! I'm from New York and I've eaten in some pretty good places but I will never forget that meal. Mmmm. Later that evening we hung out at the lagoon then in the small but comfy beach. The next day my sister went snorkeling and enjoyed it with Davey, the instructor. Maria and I went on a canoe ride through the mangroves then we walked over a mile back through natives villages. We saw the local women making purses out of snack food wrappers. It was so crafty. Of course, we bought some for way cheaper than what they're sold for on the internet or in stores! We just loved our stay and were so sad to leave that afternoon. We plan on going back but never during the busy tourist season. We want the island all to ourselves! Manuel is definately the best host ever! My pictures can be seen on FaceBook and I'd be glad to give more advice on where to go to in Cartagena, as we did so many other things!
You can find me on FB: Rose Serrano Amberstone

• Stayed August 2008, traveled with friends
2 Thank rosierules
Chicago,IL
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 25, 2008

My husband and I stayed at the Hilton in Cartagena (beautiful and very clean) but booked a day trip to the Rosario Islands to Coco Liso resort. We were so disapointed. We took a boat from the main port in Cartagena at 8 am, the ride was fine. A little cramped but ok. It took an hour. We didn´t cruise around the islands at all so we didn´t get to see much of them. We pulled up to a junky dock and were instructed we would be served lunch at 1 and leave the island at 3. It felt like prison. After renting grossly expensive and very poorly constructed towels,we went down to the very tiny beach which was so infested with bugs we couldnt enjoy ourselves. We went into the water via some very rickety ladders. Everything was old and in need of repair. Vendors hasseled us there though we werwer told it was private and that wouldn´t happen. We headed toward the pool hoping to escape the bugs. The pool was so dirty you could barely see thru the water. It featured an old shoddy slide like the kind my granparents had in their pool in 1970. The lunch was cafateria food and we dared not eat it for fear of becoming sick on the boat on the way back. I didn´t actually see a room, but judging from the grounds they coulnd´t possibly be nice. We just sat in hammocks trying to sleep until our time to leave. We felt really ripped off (80,000 pesos each)and wished we would have never left our nice Hilton.

• Liked — the ginger ale i drank
  • Disliked — Old, junky grounds
  • Stayed May 2008, traveled as a couple

4.0 of 5 bubbles 1,361 reviews
Coralina Island
Coralina Island
#1 of 4 in Islas de Rosario

Been to Cocoliso Island Resort? Share your experiences!