“Nice and different”
Review of L'Art de la Fugue

L'Art de la Fugue
Ranked #3 of 9 Saint-Gilles B&B and Inns
Reviewed December 19, 2012

I had a bedroom on the top floor, with a giant art deco bed and beautiful decor. The space was quite big and stylish, fifties and sixties mostly. The rest of the building has plenty of paintings, statues, books and all types of different pieces, all interesting by themselves. The owner is quite nice and helpful, the breakfast also good, it was a great experience, completely different from staying in a Hotel. The less positive points were the wi-fi power in top floor and the squeaking old wood floor. Fortunately I was on top...

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank Elísio C

Reviewed December 14, 2012

The owner, Frederic, is very nice and incredibley helpful. The rooms are very well decorated in this 19th century mansion.
It is a very short walking distance from Gare du Midi, so very convenient.
HAd a few problems. First, it is not a hotel and do not expect anyone to be there when you need, like we did the one night (just to let them know we would leave early). Second, the ceiling was leaking really badly on my head (fortunately in the shower) when the couple friends of ours (on the floor above us) were taking a shower. Large hole in the ceiling. Although the breakfast had fantastic local and bio products it was not plenty.Internet did not work until my friend and I figured out what the problem was.They also do not clean the rooms every day, in case one would like to know that.
A little erratic, but I would stay there again (after he fixes the leak).

Room Tip: Check if the leaks were fixed.
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Heloguy77
Reviewed November 14, 2012

We went to Brussels for a weekend and we really enjoyed our experience in l'art de la fugue. The host was very helpful, friendly and flexible. The location was perfect to us since we were near the train station (coming from paris). Everything is walkable for tourist attractions. The neighbordhood is a little creepy but the bnb is perfect and really charming. The breakfast was one of the best I ever ate in an hotel - croissant, fruits, espresso... french style breakfast. Also you have a little balcony to enjoy your breakfast.
The design of the rooms are just so artistic, we loved it!
We think that for a couple it is PERFECT and really romantic :)
Nothing negative to say about this BNB : you should stay there if you are going to Brussels.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 8, 2012

Arrival time at this so called B&B isn't flexible and we found out the hard way. The owner isn't on site and requires a very specific time to welcome you. We gave an approximate time of arrival of an hour but arrived at the beginning of the hour. We found ourselves seating on the step waiting. A neighbor assisted by ringing the owner who arrived 30 minutes later. Not a pleasant welcome by being told that, he,the owner, has a full time job and can't be there all the time. It seems the so called B&B is run around his full time job. The house and rooms are quite eclectic as described. Be warned, that this house is 3-4 levels and there are a lot of flights of stairs. The rooms also have high ceilings. Not for the faint-hearted or older person to lug bags up so many stairs. The rooms are comfortably large and because the house is old and has wooden floors any walking around by other guests above is quite loud. Unfortunately we had people above us who were awake and moving about at 3 am in the morning. The TV in the room is dated (analogue) and has limited coverage. There is no airconditioning so opening the large windows is the main ventilation. Noisy during the day as the road is narrow and channels any noise upward but reasonably quiet at night.
Breakfast was the usual plain continental style(bread, jam, yoghurt, coffee, juice) at a communal table in very pleasant surroundings. There was a kitchen nearby but we were unsure whether we were welcome to make tea or coffee and no one was about to clarify. Advantage is it is close to train station but area is noisy and busy.
At 125euros a night in September, we feel this place to be overpriced for the service it provides.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank imaginethat8
Reviewed August 21, 2012

Loved it Loved it ... Great room, close to Gare Midi, great common parts, everything was perfect. Host met me and carried my heavy suitcase up the stairs - more than at both my last hotels! Stunning art, detail. Bathroom amazing with huge deep bath and seperate shower and loo. Big comfy bed, big room and storage, TV etc. Couldn't fault it, would stay again and again. Area not amazing, but order a cab and for 6 euros you're in the Grand Place if you want fab food. Breakfast simple but lovely & wifi fast. Thank you!

Room Tip: Get the highest room, floorboards mean lower rooms might get some noise. Bring food, you can keep a...
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed July 9, 2012

I was looking for a relaxed place to stay near the Brussels-Midi train station, the night before I left for Rock Werchter. I knew that I was going to be all squished-up in a small tent the upcoming nights, so I thought that one good night of sleep would help. And I was meeting my friends from England the next morning on the station, so this was perfectly located.

I'm a big (Big.) fan of modern decorated rooms, but when I entered my room, I knew that I'd never seen anything like it. This room had the charm and beauty that I haven't seen in some of the 100-400euro/night rooms I've stayed in. Too bad that I was by myself for the night, I would've loved to have shared this room with somebody..

When I looked at the pictures on Booking.com, I thought that it just couldn't be real. But I took my chances anyway, because the reviews were really good. Turns out that I was completely wrong. It was everything that the pictues showed me, and more! The morning I woke up, all the other guests had left, so I had the breakfast table for myself. However, the sun was shining, so I sat down on the terrace, while eating my breakfast and having some coffee. Mentally preparing myself for bad food and no sleep for the upcoming days.

I was looking for Fred to check out, but I couldn't find him. So I walked up the stairs to find him, and saw that the door of one of the other rooms was open. I took a sneak peak, and couldn't believe what I saw: there was actually a room that was even prettier than mine! (However, I think that it was the case of grass being greener on the other side, because my room was still too pretty.)

I haven't really seen the neighbourhood, because I was in my room most of the time, but Fred told me that there were at least a couple of restaurants in a walking distance.

It's the perfect hideaway when you need to be in the Bruxelles-Midi area. I recommend it to everybody!

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed May 1, 2012

For the first time in my life I doubted whether I should write a bad review, to keep this place a secret for myself. But no, that's not how this site works: I would love to find a place that someone else enjoyed, so here the real review.

L'Art de la Fugue is close to Bruxelles MIDI/South-station. As it's privately owned, I was asked to confirm my arrivaltime, but I saw that message only after checking in. But the owner sent me a txtmessage to ask for my time of arrival. I was welcomed warmly and got to pick my room as the other guests were arriving later. The rooms are all richly decorated in several styles. I picked the retro room at the upper floor, but the China-room on the second floor looked great as well.

The rooms are clean and make you feel like home, because of the decorations and choice of furniture eventhough my home is in a totally different style. Mind that the wooden floors probably are noisy for some persons, so in that case, ask for the upperfloor.

After I got the tour I just relaxed and went out. The next morning breakfast was waiting in the communal breakfast room that is connected to the livingroom and the terrace. Breakfast only had chocalatespread, jam and cheese, but the pain au chocolate, fresh fruit and cereal were fine for me.

As I went to a party the owner offered that I could have breakfast later than 10 am and I even could checkout later to recover from the night. I didn't do so, but overall it made me feel welcome and appreciated.

Next time I'll be visiting Bruxelles I will definitely go to this hotel again.

Room Tip: Probably th eupperfloors will be warm during summer, but in general all rooms are equal I guess.
  • Stayed: April 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank LiveLikeTom
Also consider these accommodations in or near Saint-Gilles
Ibis Brussels Centre Gare Midi
#16 of 212 in Brussels
Avenue Deschanel B&B
Avenue Deschanel B&B
#1 of 14 in Schaerbeek

Been to L'Art de la Fugue? Share your experiences!