“Paying to sleep in a dump”
Review of Hotel de France

Hotel de France
Ranked #20 of 22 Hotels in Saint-Gilles
Reviewed June 19, 2012

Nothing else to say really, other than our experience was akin to paying to sleep in a rubbish dump. The room was filthy and literally stained. The bathroom had holes in the walls. Electrical points were hanging out of the walls. The shower was revolting. Avoid!

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled as a couple

Reviewed June 5, 2012

The hotel is roughly around 7-10 minutes from the Brussels south station. The hotel lobby looks good. The receptionist doubling up as manager was funny with his mannerisms and polite all the way.

The washroom door knob came out when trying to close the door. The manager said he would get it repaired but it never got done.
The washroom was clean. Soap and shampoo were provided. The breakfast was 5 euros per person, not so great. The room was pricey, 79 euros each.

The room itself was well laid out, fairly large enough and the bed was good. The biggest drawback is the lack of air conditioning and we suffered for 2 nights because of it as the weather outside was +30 degrees, which was unusually warm.

The area around the hotel gives the appearance of safety issues. The area is middle eastern centric and 4-5 blocks further away would you see local Belgian flavour.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 23, 2012

The hotel Is very close to Gare du Midi train station. It is not the nicest of areas but is convenient for an overnight stay.
The hotel itself is basic. I stayed in a comfort single which cost Euro 79. It had a double bed, a flat screen TV, a tiny desk/dresser and a wall rack with some clothes hangers on. The bathroom was one of the smallest I have ever seen, but it did have a working and comfortable shower. Overall the room was clean and quiet. There was also free wifi which worked fairly reliably. Breafast is Euro 5 which was a pre-made up tray consisting of croissants, juice and coffee.
I would recomend for an overnight stay. I have stayed at more expensive in Brussels and the hotels have been more basic. I would say that this is fairly good value.
I would mention that 2 of my colleagues were pick pocketed on the Metro on the way to our meeting. So be aware!

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled on business
2  Thank Larouteblue
Reviewed March 23, 2012

When i read other reviews I was slightly worried,but nothing could be further from the truth.Yes its in a cosmopoliton area ,I got slightly lost so I asked for directions a friendly lad was very helpful ,I was on wrong side of busy road.The staff also friendly what do you wantfor 2stars.My room was large clean and tidyplus a large bed.Yes the handwash basin would havebeen better in the bedroom rather than bathroom but you can`t have it all.I had some good meals at a cafe on the corner of Stallingrad Strat fish hot salad in baggette with fries.Yes there was a lot of people they live there I said good evening as I past on the street they all replied seemed friendly to me.I`m 60yrs single and white and I never felt anxious at all,the other guests all seemed relaxed as well and the hotel was full for the 4days I was there.So I would heartly recommend this Hotel,I think some of the reviewers just expected to much yours david wilson

Room Tip: 206 is the room I stayed in the lift worked well the room was quiet plus clean towels everyday
  • Stayed: March 2012, traveled solo
2  Thank davidwils0n
Reviewed February 17, 2012

It is not a hotel of our dreams. First of all it is not a brand new hotel and owners are rather not interested in conservation of this staff. If you treat it as a place to sleep and go, then fine, you would be OK. The area is also rather not friendly and safe. As for the capital of the European Union, it would be better.

Stayed: March 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 17, 2011

The worst hotel room I have seen! Thankfully we arrived at 11.30pm and were out by 8am, meaning we were simply there to sleep. Yet, for 70euro you would expect, if anything a basic level of hygiene. The carpet was nothing short of disgusting, the bathroom a converted cupboard, and the electrical sockets dangerous. There are no other words that can describe Hotel de France, I would suggest viewing the pictures.

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 6, 2011

Standard of decoration and fixtures/fittings was pretty horrendous, cupboard doors hanging off, broken lights, broken fan, patched up ceilings etc. etc. When a new fan was requested or a replacement (as it was 33degC) three simple answers from the staff no, no, no. Then when I got home in the early hours of the morning the nightclub next door seemingly found the volume button which was just super. I was told on 2 separate occasions this is a dangerous area - be careful! And I was awoken to a very busy early morning Market underneath the window with lots of traffic and people. I would therefore advise no matter how cheap it is, avoid like the plague.

• Stayed: October 2011
Also consider these accommodations in or near Saint-Gilles
0 mi away
#11 of 22 in Saint-Gilles
Hotel a la Grande Cloche
Hotel a la Grande Cloche
#87 of 199 in Brussels

Been to Hotel de France? Share your experiences!