“Stay if you need to be close to the station”

Ibis Brussels Centre Gare Midi
Ranked #9 of 22 Hotels in Saint-Gilles
Reviewed October 27, 2012 via mobile

I stayed here over the weekend because it was close to the station, had free wifi and offered a very attractive rate. Good enough for an unexpected downtime on a business trip. First thing I noticed is that I seemed to be dodging unwelcome attention going to and from the hotel. There are just so many folks (touts?) hanging outside. I don't even want to know what they're doing but I didn't feel very safe. I can also hear a lot of noise and shouting from the street below. At night there is a man whom I assume is guarding access to the rooms. The use of the key card for the elevators did add to my level of safety but overall I realized late that this is not a good area to be in. The hotel itself though was consistent to Ibis standards, bare, clean, functional.

• Stayed: October 2012

Reviewed October 26, 2012

Modern nice clean hotel is located just next to main train station. Free Internet. Breakfast was OK - hot buns and croissants are great. Staff are very friendly and polite. Room was very clean and comfortable. Area - typical train station area in big cities with all typical "attributes'.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed October 25, 2012

We were staying there for 3 nights for Brussels and surroundings and for location it was very good choice - close to metro, train station and walking distance to city center.
Area is not very nice - there isn't a lot of places, where you can go after dark with any women - it's not that it's not safe, but this is Muslim area, so in restaurants and bars there are only mans.
The main disadvantage we had in this hotel, was that A/C was not working in both of our rooms - we gave this information to reception but there was no action taken. This could be useful as in rooms was too hot, to sleep w/o open window and with open window in the morning (starting 5, 6 in the morning) was extremely loud.
Everything else was as it was supposed to be in this range of the hotel, so for few nights, with working A/C we highly recommend this hotel.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed October 23, 2012

This was my first stay at an IBIS hotel. I couldn't be happier with my choice. My wife and I stayed for two nights, using this hotel as a base for exploring Brussels and Bruges. We booked in advance, and got a terrific rate. The room was basic - but tasteful and cozy. The beds were very comfortable; we slept really well. We opted for the breakfast buffet and were not disappointed - lots of European traditional choices, plus eggs, sausage and bacon. I'd stay here again in a New York minute if ever in Brussels again.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed October 19, 2012

Because of an unexpected change of my travel plan I found myself arriving at Brussels Midi Station in the evening without a hotel booking, and in need of a room to spend the night.

I am never good at finding hotel rooms last minutes. And there it was the almost omnipresent Ibis Hotel right next to the station. It was an Ibis so at least it would be safe and clean and functional. I was not sure what the rack rate was, and at first was offered a room at 155 euros. I said it was too pricey for me, and the lady at the check-in counter checked her system some more and offered me a room for about 100 euros. And I took it. It was still a bit too expensive for me, but then it was for one night only.

I had no expectation for the room, and I had no complaint either. It was at an extremely convenient location as far as I was concerned, and the room I got was spacious, clean, and comfortable. The free wifi in the room was good. I bought some food at the Carrefour Express in the train station and called it a night.

The area around Brussels Midi Station is not attractive and I would not have chosen to stay there if not for a sudden change of plan. But the hotel turned out to be quite good, and I enjoyed a restful night.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed October 18, 2012

Just stayed here for 3 nights in the beginning of October, and enjoyed it a lot. It was right next to a supermarket and the train station. It was so easy to get around the city, or day trips to Brugge. Staff was very helpful and friendly, and of course the room was clean and comfy too. I was impressed with the thick windows that kept street noise out too.
As others noted, a bit sketchy around the train station at night, but that's anywhere you travel. Never felt threatened though.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 16, 2012

Located in an area with the looks of a North African city (including the call for morning prayer by a local muezin if you sleep with open windows) this hotel is not fit for people who do not like that kind of chaos. But it is an excellent choice if you are taking a Eurostar or Thalys train in the Brussels South (Midi -Zuid) railway station in the morning. Popular with organized bustravel it is possible that morning breakfast around 9 AM is as chaotic as the neighbourhood. We booked a non smoker room but got a (upgraded) smoker room. The crew at reception is very polite and multilingual. Free internet is also a plus as well as the interiour looks in general. The elevator is frustrating slow. Our room lacked bathroom stuff ( I think they just forgot to provide it ). TV has every possible language channel (including Portuguese, Spanish, Turkish, Italian,Arabic...) but the sound quality is extremely low. There is a unpersonal metro station nearby but it only takes an easy walk into the city center ( in fact you have to follow only one big avenue ...).

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Saint-Gilles
Ibis Brussels off Grand Place
Novotel Brussels Midi Station
Novotel Brussels Midi Station
#4 of 22 in Saint-Gilles
NH Collection Brussels Centre

Been to Ibis Brussels Centre Gare Midi? Share your experiences!