“Almost to good for one night”

NH Brussels Stephanie
Ranked #2 of 22 Hotels in Saint-Gilles
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed July 11, 2013

I have no idea what the other rooms in the hotel look like, but the one I got up on the 6th floor was just great. Big bathroom, nice comfy bed and plenty of space. I really like the location of the hotel - loads of restaurants, bars and shops around there and just a short walk to the subway.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled on business

Reviewed July 10, 2013

Great hotel in a great location. 5 minutes from Metro station and Trams. Walk to centre of Brussels in 20 minutes. Spotlessly clean with good breakfast and friendly staff. Lots of cafes and restaurants within 2 minutes walk.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with NH Hotels
Reviewed July 8, 2013

The hotel was nice and clean with free internet, which was nice because I unfortunately had to work while there. There were good restaurants and shopping strips near-by and the hotel was also not far from the metro. I would recommend it for business and solo travellers.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed June 22, 2013

Oh dear, NH still appear to have a problem with their on line booking system.

This time I booked a double/Queen smoking room on line and as I wasn’t sure of the arrival time, I noted “Late Arrival” in the “Comments” field.

On arrival, I was very happy to be told that I was being upgraded ... but not to a smoking room. Whilst the “Comments” field had correctly transferred to the Hotel’s version of the booking, the “Bed type” and “Smoking” fields had not so they assumed that a non smoking room would be okay. Luckily, they had one standard smoking room left so I was given that one.

The Receptionist was most apologetic, took a copy of my printed version of my booking (which clearly showed the “Bed type” and “Smoking” fields) and promised to pass it to their Head Office to point out the problem with their on line booking. She then suggested that the next time I visit, I include the bed type and smoking requirement in the “Comments” field and sent the hotel an email to confirm. Whilst this is sensible advice, it does make a complete mockery of the NH on line reservation system.

I subsequently received an automated “Customer Feedback” form and noted the issue on this. I then received a lovely email from the hotel apologising and again suggesting that I contact them direct to confirm my reservation so hopefully I will be okay – BUT what about any other NH customer, why no promises to fix the problem at source????

Whilst I am very annoyed at NH hotels and their IT systems, I cannot blame the NH Stephanie as their staff did all they could to help.

On the subject of the staff, all the Reception staff that I came into contact with were excellent. I was really pleased to see that the team in the Breakfast room were much improved from my last visit (I didn’t recognise any of them); this team were efficient, professional, friendly and worked hard to ensure that everything was as it should be, even at the weekend.

However, NH hotels appear to have decided that their customers should be eating more healthily at Breakfast, as you are warned by the posters in the lifts. Net result: the cold offerings are similar to before (albeit the yoghurt selection has reduced – there is now only organic natural yoghurt but not an issue for me as that’s my preference plus the new version was better than the old). It was a bit annoying that they only supply tiny little bowls so I ended up with my fresh fruit and natural yoghurt on a plate. The hot offerings are a disaster – there was a choice of boiled eggs (which had been standing so long there was a black ring around the yolk), mushrooms cooked in goodness knows what (they tasted tinned) and some tomatoes that looked very greasy. That was it. During the two (quite busy) breakfast sessions I attended, I saw many people look at the hot offerings but no one took anything – including me on the second day. I suspect that the Healthy eating has fallen flat with the customers as on previous visits many people would eat the scrambled eggs/bacon/sausage but I guess NH are happy as it costs them less.

The email I received from the hotel following my Customer Feedback submission provided an answer for me – they will cook eggs etc to order for me, kudos to the NH Stephanie but again, NH what are you up to?

I will return to the NH Stephanie as the location and the staff make it a good choice for me, particularly with the personal service offered and I have scored the hotel accordingly, however, I will now think twice about booking any of their other hotels ...

Room Tip: Whatever you chose, email them direct with details of your booking
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed June 14, 2013 via mobile

The room- The room we are staying in is lovely! Great big bed spacious and very clean! I seen a post below saying it was dirty?! That confuses me as it was clean when we where there :S

The staff- the staff where great with us, helping where possible!

THE FOOD- We ordered breakfast for one morning and paid 21euros EACH. Very disappointed with that. There was only one milk out too, so I couldn't have cereal which was disappointing. (No soy)

All round- was a pleasant experience. Just let down by the breakie, there are plenty of cafes near by so don't let it put you off :)

• Stayed: June 2013
2  Thank Lauren M
Reviewed June 12, 2013

There's no way this hotel deserves a 4 Star Rating. 2 at best. The ratings system in Brussels is a joke. 169 euros a night for a dirty hotel with poor food and rude staff??? Give me a break. The floor in the reception area was filthy. The floor in the tiny lift was even worse. It looked like they haven't seen a mop for months. The smell of sewage in the lift and outside my room was so overpowering it wafted into my room. I also discovered my bathroom floor was filthy as well and had not been mopped either in a long time. The carpet in the bedroom was not clean either. When I pulled the covers off the bed to go to sleep I discovered long hairs all over the sheets. The sheets had clearly not been changed either. There were awful stains all over the pillows also. Disgusting.

The room was cold so I went to put the heating on only to discover it wasn't working. I ordered what I thought would be a freshly brewed coffee to heat me up which cost 8.50 euros!!!! I only discovered the next morning at breakfast that it wasn't freshly brewed coffee at all. Just coffee from one of those machines you press a button and the coffee dispenses.

The breakfast was ridiculous. The room was freezing cold. Other guests were complaining about it also. The woman working there didn't speak English which seemed odd for a city dealing with English speaking people all time time. The bread was hard and stale. The scrambled eggs were just like slop thrown into a pot for guests to help themselves. There was a picture of an omelette but the waitress couldn't understand what I was saying when I asked her if these were available, even though I spoke French to her. Over 20 euros extra for this?????

They really are taking liberties at this hotel. The rude receptionists attitude was appalling. She could have cared less and her take it or leave it attitude left a really sour taste in the mouth. She offered to refund my breakfast when I complained but that was it. No apology for the lack of heating in my room, which she kept insisting worked. When I asked her to come to my room and show me she refused. So she was obviously lying. I see from other reviews on this site that I am not the only one this has happened to. She refused to accept my room and the rest of the hotel were dirty. Overall an unpleasant person to deal with. NH Hotels should be ashamed of themselves for charging so much for this hotel. It's not worth half what I paid. The standards of cleanliness, food and customer services from the reception staff needs serious overhauling.

Room Tip: Stay at a better hotel. You can get better hotels for this price or even cheaper.
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank sippy2012
Reviewed June 1, 2013

The NH Stephanie is a decent hotel, but I booked it because of my experience with four other stays at NH Hotels that were great. This hotel falls short of the other NH experiences I have had.

For those who like to stay at NH Hotels you will find this property to be small with less services. There is no restaurant, no bar, no on-site ATM, room service is very limited on options (pizza, soup and salad). The lobby is small and cluttered. The breakfast area is also small, especially when large groups come down to eat at once. My second morning I went to eat breakfast and the place was packed (not a seat to be had). Went back down 40 minutes later and there were seats but nothing left to eat but a hand full of fruit and cereal. I had to skip breakfast at the hotel that morning as it was useless to try to fill up on that.

The rooms are typical of NH Hotels, however the beds were not as comfortable as the other four NH Hotels I have been at. Also for a 4-star hotel they do not offer you any lotion in the bathroom (the other NH's did), and my facial tissues ran out and was never replaced.

There is another NH hotel (City Center) about two blocks from the NH Stephanie (they have a bar and restaurant). There are also a couple restaurants and pubs/bars out the doors of the NH Stephanie and to your right (just 1 block up). The Irish Pub there serves good food a has an assortment of beers.

There is a little street along the hotel that you would not expect to be busy...but at night it sure seemed to be (it is that or poor sound-proofing on the windows). The staff was friendly and my room was clean.

The location of the hotel was nice. It was a very easy 5 minute walk to the Louis Metro area for bus, tram, tube, as well as it is also a stop for the City Sightseeing Tour Bus (Hop on - Hop off).

As a hotel in general it was decent...it just didn't live up to what I have come to expect from NH Hotels. Hope my next NH stay will be nicer.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled solo
Also consider these accommodations in or near Saint-Gilles
NH Collection Brussels Centre
Made in Louise
Made in Louise
#1 of 15 in Ixelles
Ibis Brussels Centre Gare Midi

Been to NH Brussels Stephanie? Share your experiences!