“Great location, friendly staff”

NH Brussels Stephanie
Ranked #2 of 22 Hotels in Saint-Gilles
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed April 4, 2013 via mobile

Just stayed here for 3 nights, the staff are extremely friendly and the hotel has a great location. The rooms are clean and well maintained. There are nice little extras too, free apple's in reception, free newspapers everyday and free coffee in the mornings.
The breakfast was poor though, the only thing to let the hotel down but that wasn't a major issue for us. Would definitely stay here again when in Brussels.

• Stayed: April 2013
Write a ReviewReviews (1,126)

Reviewed March 21, 2013

I was reluctant to book NH Stephanie after my less than satisfactory stay in NH Atlanta but felt reassured by the many good reviews. I only wish my experience was similar.

After a smooth check in I walked into a room which was oppressively hot. The air conditioning or the heating system control didn’t appear to work and I was told that the heating was regulated by the use of the radiator dial, which was behind the curtain. When I moved the curtain to turn the heating down, I saw to my disgust a wall full of mould and in the corner of the room full of what can only be described as infestation. It was full of cobwebs and a lot of small things that were about to hatch. I thought I would inform the reception in the morning as it was late in the evening and I was tired and just wanted to go for dinner and then to bed. My immediate thought, though, was what else could be dirty as it was obvious that the room hadn’t been cleaned properly for some time. When I then opened the safe I found the remains of some food or a snack or something which looked appalling. By that stage I had had enough and informed the reception. They gave me a different room pretty quickly, without apologising at first, but when I showed them the filth they felt embarrassed and were apologetic.

The second room was stone cold so I turned on the radiator to warm it up before going to dinner. There was hair in the bathroom sink and dust in the corners of the bathroom but I didn’t have the will to say anything by that stage. The lighting in the room was very poor and one of the light bulbs on the bedside table was broken, but was promptly replaced. Having booked the hotel for four nights I wasn’t really looking forward to my staying there. I had to put up with constantly poor cleaning, seeing hair, specks of dust and dirt on the floor as well as dusty furniture, which was also really shabby. The wardrobe wasn’t even tall enough to hang a coat in.

The lift was so small it was uncomfortable to share it with another person. Breakfast cost 21 EUR which was ridiculous given the lack of variety and below average quality.

However, I do have to say that I found the bed and pillow to be quite comfortable and I slept well, despite the holes in the bed linen. Also, the staff appeared to be very friendly and helpful. This I though was a good reason to give the hotel 3 stars.

And I would have done if there hadn’t been an issue with the hot water one morning with no explanation given as to when it might come back on. The heating also went out. I performed my ablution as best I could by heating some water in the kettle and using the bathroom sink as a bathtub. Not fun, especially since I was going to an important meeting and didn’t really want to make the impression of a shower dodger. I got dressed and was out the door when I noticed that the hot water came on again, without being told so by the hotel staff, and decided to have a shower despite running late. At the reception I overheard a hotel guest politely enquiring about why there wasn’t any hot water in the morning only to be brusquely told by a rather dishevelled looking receptionist that she could have free breakfast, a kind of ‘take it or leave it lady’ remark, without any apology.

I don’t know what’s wrong with NH hotels but I certainly will not be hurrying to book a room with them any day soon.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank DavJo12
Reviewed March 21, 2013

We booked a double room in advance. We expected an average room but it was really nice, big and clean.
Moreover the receptionist was really willing to help and it's nicely located and easily reachable by metro

Reviewed March 20, 2013

Nice hotel, clean, modern, friendly staff. Breakfast was good but there wasn't a huge selection, but what there was is fresh and delicious. Weekend room rates seem to offer a good deal including breakfast and late checkouts which is useful. The hotel is easy to find and very accessible from Louisa metro station. The hotel is also in a good location for exploring the city, you can get around easily on foot, we only used the metro to get from/to midi station as it was late at night and the area around midi station wasn't very pleasant.

Reviewed March 15, 2013

FAB hotel with modern rooms, tasty breakfast and very helpful and friendly staff - especially piere who helps us with attactions/resturant/directions around the city. Would definately stay here again.

Reviewed March 1, 2013

NH Stephanie is located in the southern part of Brussels with just a few minutes walk to the Louisa metro station.

The room was nice and clean and the neighborhood was quiet. I also like the environmental awareness at the hotel.

The breakfast was great and I enjoyed it very much.

The only bad thing I could think of was that the water boiler wasn´t clean enough.

Overall, NH Stephanie is an excellent hotel at a reasonable price. I would definitely stay there again.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank travelsan29
Reviewed February 26, 2013

3nights in a very cold Brussels started with a warm welcome from reception and 1 room ready early morning, hours before actual check in. All staff were pleasant and remembered us after the first day. The rooms were nice and hot, which was needed on -5degree snowy nights! Breakfast european city standard...but with french pastry galore!! Room well cleaned and stocked. Location great for all sights.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank Tina J
Also consider these accommodations in or near Saint-Gilles
Pantone Hotel
#14 of 198 in Brussels
Hotel Metropole
Hotel Metropole
#69 of 198 in Brussels

Been to NH Brussels Stephanie? Share your experiences!