“Clean room and excellent service”

Hotel Catalonia Brussels
Ranked #10 of 22 Hotels in Saint-Gilles
Florence, Toscana, Italy
“Clean room and excellent service”
Reviewed January 11, 2013

I stayed in this hotel for 6 nights and everything has been superb from day 1. All staff and I mean ALL staff were very friendly and hospitable. I've been travelling around Europe and this is the only hotel for which I felt warm and welcomed. I would miss chatting with the Chinese lady in the restaurant as she was very accommodating whenever I grab a meal. Would definitely recommend this hotel! And oh, I was here for a business trip and internet was a great need - which I've got nothing to complain about.

Room Tip: The only thing I could complain about is the bed. When they said "Queen Sized Bed" mine wa...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Jacky_Uy
HCBrusselsDireccion, Director General at Hotel Catalonia Brussels, responded to this review, January 16, 2013
Dear Guest,
First of all we would like to thank you for your comments, as this positive opinion help us to continue working to exceed your highest expectations and demonstrate that our commitment towards customer’s satisfaction is a reality and not mere words.
I will inform and congratulate about your opinion to all the hotel staff specially to our restaurant manager Madame Fei.
We really hope that you decide to visit us again in the future because you are more than welcome.
Best regards.
Jose Padron.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (25)
Allentown, Pennsylvania
Reviewed December 26, 2012

We stayed at this hotel for one night during a Cosmos tour. Check-in took somewhat longer than at other European hotels. The room was cramped and had two beds and an older tube TV. The bathroom was larger than expected though. The room had good ventilation and the climate control worked well.

We arrived at this hotel later in the evening, so we didn't venture out very far, but it appeared we weren't convenient to much. I would guess public transportation would be required to get downtown or to other attractions. The neighborhood appeared to be decent and we did take a nice walk around.

I don't generally comment on the hotel food, but the pizza in this hotel's bar was especially bad. It took a long time to "prepare" and tasted freezer burned. The beer was cold and excellent and the restaurant staff was friendly.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank 60HzMW
Burnley, United Kingdom
Reviewed December 11, 2012

Stayed for 2 nights early December.

We had no complaints with the hotel itself.

The staff were pleasant and helpful, we were able to check in early at no extra cost, the room was clean and comfortable (although an extra pillow would have been nice) and the breakfast buffet was good with both 'continental' and 'cooked to order' English breakfast options.

We were on the 5th floor and although the hotel is located on a side street we did get some traffic noise from the main road but it wasn't too bad with the windows closed.

We didn't have much time to explore the local area but it seemed to be mainly residential with the usual mixture of shops, bars and cafes you would expect to find in a city suburb

The downside for us was the location. We knew it wasn't in the city centre (and too be fair this is reflected in the room price) but from previous reviews we thought you could be in the touristy bit by public transport in a few minutes but this isn't the case unless you want to be spending money on taxis.

The nearest tram stop is 5 minutes walk away, it's a 15-20 minute tram ride (no. 92) to Royal Koenig then a good 10 minute walk to Grand Place so even if you manage to catch a tram straight away, realistically, it will take you more like 35-40 minutes to reach the main tourist centre, obviously longer if you just miss a tram and have to wait 10 minutes or more for another.

Whilst the journey is not difficult it is time consuming and that is the only reason we personally wouldn't choose to stay here again whilst visiting Brussels but if you have plenty of time and don't mind a bit of a trek to the centre it's not a bad hotel at all.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank ClaretAl
Barcelona, Spain
Reviewed November 12, 2012

I have to admit that we chose this hotel because of it's name, although our sentiments of "Freedom for Catalunya" have been slightly outweighed by a hotel that can only be considered acceptable at a reasonable price, but nothing special. We had a "suite", top floor with a terrance, but the only difference we could see for the extra euros against the kid's rooms on the 5th and 6th floors, was the terrace (not very useful on a rainy weekend) and a complimentary bottle of water. The rooms are certainly not generously sized, erring on small. The bathrooms are well appointed. The buffet breakfast included in the price of the rooms is very agreeable. As we arrived by car we had no problem with finding the place and street parking was quite easy, although the hotel does seem to be in the middle of nowhere. The staff are quite friendly and helpful, speaking English, French and Spanish (no Catalan). But... the bed, whilst wide, was short and the bedclothes and pillows uncomfortable, the small lifts are noisy and can be heard from the room, lipstick dirty teacup at breakfast and of the two computers on the ground floor, only one worked, neither did the printer, a little annoying not being able to print the flight boarding cards.

Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank Maignon48b
Tel Aviv, Israel
Reviewed November 10, 2012 via mobile

We stayed at a double room, which was very well maintained, clean and had a nice view. TV was outdated but otherwise the room was perfect. Staff was very helpful and friendly, and if your French is rusty but you're fluent in Spanish, you'll find most if the staff speak Spanish. Breakfast was very good (ours was included in price). If you're driving a rental car, the underground parking lot is tiny (although I'm sure it's considered average by European standards).
Location is good if you have a vehicle-about a 5-10 min drive to Grand Place. Otherwise the tram is closeby.
All in all, a very pleasant stay.

• Stayed November 2012
Buffalo, NY
Reviewed October 24, 2012

How this has 4/5 rating I will never understand. Very disappointed in my experience. I'm certain that I will not be staying here again. The key problem is that the hotel does not have enough redeeming qualities to make up for its shortfalls.

The Good:

- The room was clean, I will give it that. I didn't find any shortfalls in cleanliness. The bathroom is nice and spacious, offering a toilet and bidet.

- Their breakfast provides the best croissant I've ever had. Flaky and buttery, it was perfect.

- Internet was free and worked well.

That's about it for the good. For the areas of development:

- The hotel is difficult to reach. The website advises that you take Metro station Louise, but that's only part of the way. In any of my other travels, when the hotel advises to get off at a station, it's usually close to the hotel. The Metro station for Catalonia isn't. You have to get off at the Metro station, then take a tram 3 stops to then walk a block to get to it. This isn't outlined anywhere, so I was walking around in the dark until I called the hotel and got proper instructions.

- The elevators are small. Like, clown car small. Built, apparently, for the time when Europeans were midgets. If you have a suitcase (and I imagine you would) it will be a squeeze. Also expect competition for them.

- Serving staff shortfall. All I wanted after the 'getting to the hotel' fiasco was a beer and an ice water. I asked the bartender for a beer and water with ice, and was advised they don't give out (or have) ice water, just the bottled stuff. Not what I wanted, I want ice. So fine, I get it, no free water. How about that beer? Well, she just wandered away, off to wait on other people and cash someone out, etc, etc. Hotel staff need to be in tune with the guests. Front desk staff were nice, and they did provide me a map of the city.

- No air conditioning. Normally, this is not a deal killer, but in this instance, the Catalonia does have air conditioning - when it's centrally turned on. As was described to be twice by the front desk staff (because I had to get a better understanding than after the first time), the 'air service' is either on 'Heat' or on 'Cool'. And since it's October, they have it set to 'Heat', which means that regardless of my fidgeting with the controls in my room, if I turn on the unit, it will only give heat. Utterly ridiculous. But, hey, I can open a window, right? Yes, I can, but unfortunately the surrounding streets are very noisy. So should I be hot and quiet or cool and annoyed. I chose the latter.

- Beds are old, and have horse blankets as your duvet. They don't really have a comforter to speak of. Pillows are small and flat.

Sadly, I found that the various issues really detracted from my stay in Brussels more than I anticipated. The hotel seems geared to tourist groups from Spain, as everyone spoke Spanish. It was just an odd and frustrating experience that I won't repeat. I'll choose something that is closer to the Grand Marketplace, with a little more updated and refined facilities.

Room Tip: My tip to choose a good room is to choose a different hotel. If you insist on coming, take the Metr...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
3 Thank riallus
Reviewed October 1, 2012

Stayed overnight on a business trip. Arrived too late to take trip to town. But hotel nice , clean , comfortable. Rooms laid out to continental style. Free wifi a good bonus. Car park is a tricky challenge ! Dinner was adequate, breakfast was ample. Nice hotel

Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
2 Thank Ian C
DirecteurCataloniaF, Director General at Hotel Catalonia Brussels, responded to this review, October 6, 2012
Dear Guest,
Best regards.
Jose Padron.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Saint-Gilles
Pantone Hotel
Made in Louise
Made in Louise
#1 of 16 in Ixelles
MEININGER Hotel Brussels City Center
MEININGER Hotel Brussels City Ce...
#1 of 2 in Saint-Jans-Molenbeek
NH Brussels Stephanie
NH Brussels Stephanie
#2 of 22 in Saint-Gilles
4.0 of 5 bubbles 1,032 reviews

Been to Hotel Catalonia Brussels? Share your experiences!