“Pretty good”

Novotel Brussels Midi Station
Ranked #4 of 22 Hotels in Saint-Gilles
Reviewed March 17, 2014

Overall, it was really nice. The bed was comfortable and the bathrooms were cool. My room was a bit dusty - but I have seriously bad allergies, so I'm very sensitive to things like that. The hotel breakfast was good. I had breakfast in the hotel 4 times, but for some reason I was only charged for 2 (not complaining). I let the gentleman who checked me out know that I went more often, but he still charged me for only 2.
The location is great if you're going to be frequenting the Midi train station. I would stay more in the center of the city if you're not going to be using the Midi station all that often. The hotel staff were very friendly and helpful. Most of the reviews I saw talked about how bad the area is given the high occurrence of pick-pocketing. But as long as you are paying attention to your surroundings and belongings (like you should be in any major city), you'll be fine.
I had a room facing the train station and had no issues with noise. Also, the wifi was excellent (I was worried about that given what other reviewers have said). I was using multiple devices at the same time and had no connectivity issues whatsoever.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled solo
1  Thank Jackie V

Reviewed March 15, 2014

I thoroughly recommend this hotel. It is literally across the road from Midi station (exit at Fonsny, traverse the dual carriageway and go left from the Radisson in front of you). I agree with other reviewers that as the locale is behind the railway (somewhat reminiscent of old King's Cross in London) it is shabby and feels rather seedy.

The Fonsny road is bit of a nightmare as it's a dual carriageway with buses and trams - being continental Europe there is no regard whatever for the disabled or infirm (or when you are hampered by large luggage such as I was) - you pretty much play chicken to cross the road on the nearest zebra crossing where cars stop entirely if they want to. Not like the civilisation in home sweet home UK!

The hotel looks very unprepossessing from the outside. But is clearly marked by blue and white vertical signage. Yes the area feels edgy but anyone with experience of London shouldn't be bothered. As a solo female I got my far share of slightly dodgy stares from men but nothing I couldn't handle and nothing worse than anywhere else on continental Europe. Little things like this do make you feel superior about the UK and London however - but in truth I was disappointed by Brussels generally (although people are nice the place is a dump IMO).

The hotel itself. Inside it looks brand new and has been very well modernised. The staff were lovely and helpful and polite. The room was new looking, clean and modern. On the 5th floor facing the railway lines I could hear no noise at all with window shut but this may be a different story on a hot night in summer when you need the ventilation. The air system in the room is as rubbish as any hotel anywhere including the UK so I wouldn't criticise Cascade's particularly.

The plumbing was superb - brilliant power shower and very clean loo. Clean and fairly fluffy towels. Yes there are complimentary toiletries and chocolates / coffee - but I had to buy tea bags / milk at the local shop (British travellers take note!). Word of warning - pillows are dreadful and lumpy but bed perfectly serviceable and firm. I cannot comment on food and services as I did not use at the hotel. However the hotel overall was better inside than the Mercure on fashionable Avenue Louise where I was for work the evening prior. At 65 Euros on laterooms UK I thought it was good value at the bottom end of 4-star.

Finally the wifi - no complaints at all as free and worked absolutely fine in room 519 with only 2-3 of 5 bars on my iPad. The tv had BBC World and ITV1 as per UK but no BBC1 as advertised.

Room Tip: Suggest a room facing away from railway side in the summer, just in case.
  • Stayed: March 2014, traveled solo
3  Thank Sophia A
Reviewed February 28, 2014

I lived in Brussels from 1997 through 2003 and at that time, the area around the Gare du Midi was pretty grim and grubby. Going to Brussels the 24th of February of this year, it was a treat to find the Hotel Cascade a clean, new, friendly and convenient place to stay. The prices are reasonable and the entire area around this train station is being upgraded. It's a 20-minute walk to the Grande Place and the metros, buses and trams that go through the Gare du Midi will take you where ever you might need to go. The staff at the hotel was friendly and helpful...I give this hotel five stars...it was a really wonderful experience.

Room Tip: We had a room overlooking the Gare du Midi station and it was incredibly quiet. If you wanted to ke...
  • Stayed: February 2014, traveled with friends
1  Thank Diana B
Reviewed February 25, 2014

Stayed back in December for my birthday as a treat from my boyfriend. The hotel was very secure and in a good location. The rooms were clean and looked just like the pictures which is always nice to see. Although free wifi was available the connection was quite poor so could be improved. Otherwise lovely hotel and really enjoyed my stay. We didn't eat the food at the hotel so can't comment on that but the bar and the bar service was nice

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed February 17, 2014

Nice modern hotel 5 minute walk from the Eurostar station, friendly and helpful staff and good value for the money, Only one complaint NO WET-ROOM we had accessible room as my wife is in a wheelchair a nice big bedroom no problem using wheelchair, a nice big bathroom only problem bath with shower one grab rail it was impossible for my wife to use the shower unaided. O yes the wifi was crap had to stand by the room door to get a reception.

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple
Reviewed February 10, 2014 via mobile

Wow! What an excellent hotel for the money. Upon arrival we parked our car in the underground parking which is great knowing the car was safe (the underground parking it tremendous!) and went upstairs to check in. Checked in fine and went to our room.. It was amazing! Beds were comfy, bathroom was clean and new, coffee and tea at your disposal.. It was excellent for the price we paid.
I can't fault the hotel in any way! Wifi is free and worked great.

Worth staying if you're travelling on the Eurostar as it's opposite the station.

It's about a mile and a bit away from the city centre.. I didn't mind the walk! Especially after a few beers.

Stayed: February 2014, traveled with friends
1  Thank letthelordbewithyou
Reviewed February 3, 2014

5 min walk from the eurostar station (which is specially useful if you arrive on a evening and there is a massive queue outside the station to pick a taxi). Neighborhood/area is not great to go out but still easy access to main city center walking (15-20 min) or by metro.

The hotel room very nice and comfortable, room had been renewed recently and had all the accessories we needed: free fast wifi access, kettle with tea, tv,etc

I was quite impressed by the bathroom, it had a thermal light on the ceiling acting like a heater after you had a shower/bath which was quite nice.

The only thing I would mention is the fact that you are asked to pay additional local taxes on top of the room price (although this is mentioned on your booking this could have been added to the total instead of having to remember to have spare 7 euros to pay for it on arrival).

I would recommend this if you go on a short city break and arrive by train as is easy to reach and you can always leave your bags there and collect them before you go to the station. I would not recommend this is you want to spend more than a couple of days as the area is not great for restaurants/bars or attractions to see.

Room Tip: Room not facing the road as it can be quite noisy
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Saint-Gilles
Ibis Brussels Centre Gare Midi
Pullman Brussels Centre Midi Hotel
Park Inn by Radisson Brussels Midi
NH Collection Brussels Centre
Novotel Brussels Grand Place
Novotel Brussels City Centre

Been to Novotel Brussels Midi Station? Share your experiences!