“modern and great value”

Ranked #6 of 22 Hotels in Saint-Gilles
nottingham
“modern and great value”
Reviewed August 30, 2013

We stayed here for one night in august.The hotel is 2 minutes from the main brussels rail station.It is a very contempary hotel with great rooms and excellent english speaking staff.The breakfast room is a delight.The room was good value at 54 euros.All in all a lovely hotel.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Joris C, General Manager at Novotel Brussels Midi Station, responded to this review, September 5, 2013
Dear guest,

Wow, 5 out of 5... That's a score we would like all of our guests to experience.

Thank you for your review and we will do our outmost to stay the place to be at Midi Station.

Cascade Hotels Brussels

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (54)
  • Arabic first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Barrowford, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 28, 2013

We stayed here for one night after flying into Charleroi and paid a very reasonable rate for the room. Parking was a little steep at 20 Euros for one day but it is off street, secure parking and a city location so not too much of a surprise.

The hotel is located just across from the train station and the views, as others have mentioned, aren't the best but inside the hotel is very nice. Nice décor, comfortable bed, spacious rooms and a nice and spacious bathroom in the rooms.

We used the free wifi to find a decent restaurant within reasonable walking distance and after a 10 minute walk we were spoilt for choice in a very nice area of Brussels.

We would definitely recommend this hotel to anyone on a short stay but I imagine for people staying a little longer it may be better to find somewhere with better surroundings.

Also, if you are using the underground parking be prepared for some tight manoeuvring. We managed just fine taking it slowly in our little hire Corsa but as we were leaving witnessed a guy in a ridiculous tank of a 4x4 Mercedes hire car prang another car three times!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Jamie P
Dear Guests,

Thank you for your lovely feedback on Hotel Cascade Midi.

Happy to read that you enjoyed you stay with us and we are looking forward to your next visit!

Ljubljana, Slovenia
Reviewed August 27, 2013 via mobile

We stayed here in April 2013. We arrived with bus from Charleroi airport direct to Midi train station (from Midi getting around Brussels is very simple and cheap by metro, train and tram). Location was perfect for me. Hotel was easy to find. Reception staff was friendly and efficient and spoke good  english.  Superior rooms are very modern and spacious, very clean. Bathroom was big and clean, with large mirror. The Wi-Fi was free and worked fast. The TV even picked up a Slovenian channel. Good breakfast too.

• Stayed April 2013
Dear Guest,

A big thank you for the very nice 5/5...
This is really encouraging for our entire staff to continue is same way.
The offer we have in TV channels is indeed quite elaborated as we aim to make all of our guests feel at home… Happy to see you have found one that made a plus for you during your stay.
We are all looking forward to welcoming you back soon at the Hotel Cascade Midi in Brussels.

Nijmegen
Reviewed August 26, 2013

We stayed in this hotel for one night. The view from the room isn't as beautiful like in the centre of the city, but it is lively. Near the trainstation brussels midi. It looks clean. The staff is friendly and helpful. The room/bathroom were clean, the bed was comfortable and we had wifi in our room. We could even watch dutch tv :) It is quiet in the room. No noise from outside or from the inside of the hotel. We stayed at the third floor

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
Dear Guest,

A warm thank you for your review.

I am delighted to read that you have found everything you expected at the Hotel Cascade Midi and even found a plus in being able to watch your television channels from home.

We hope to see you soon in Brussels, whether for business of pleasure!

Beirut, Beyrouth, Lebanon
Reviewed August 22, 2013

he hotel is located near the train station...next to it, there is a supermarket...very well located....we took a large double room...iit was excellent for a family of two adults, one child who is five (extra bed) and one infant who is 6 month (baby cot).. the bathroom is large ....the hotel is calm...we stayed for four nights...everything was great..

A kettle would be great to have.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Dear Guest & Family,

Excellent is great for us to read!

It is very nice for our team to see that the service they deliver is that much appreciated by our guests.

I am also very happy to announce that as from now all of our rooms have free coffee & tea facilities! So, next time you pay us a visit, the kettle is there!

Tortola
Reviewed August 15, 2013

To be true, I don't know what other people usually demand from a 4-star hotel, but personally I expect to get at least a clean and quiet room. The first room I was assigned at the Cascade Midi Brussels hotel was neither clean nor quiet.
OK, here comes the full (sadly pretty long) story:

I arrived after a long and tiring journey late at night at the Cascade Midi. The friendly gentlemen at the front desk gave me a room on the 7th floor - facing the rail-road tracks. When I finally wanted to go to bed I detected two yucky looking spots on the bed sheet; each measured roughly 1 inch in diameter (see photos). It escapes my mind how housekeeping could have overseen such a stained sheet!

Anyway: It was in the middle of the night, it was a king size bed and the stains were “only” on one side of the sheet. The rest of the sheet seemed to be OK so I decided to cover the stain with a towel and to sleep on the other side of the bed. Of course I wanted to talk to the front desk the next morning to make sure that I would get a clean sheet for the following 2 nights I was staying at the hotel.

Then, a couple of hours later, shortly before dawn I heard how a train was rolling into the Midi (Southern) train station. It was not particularly loud - but still clearly audible. The window (probably only double glazing instead of the necessary triple glazing) was closed by the way. And another train and then yet another train followed. You've probably guessed it already by now: It was impossible for me to sleep in that room and I asked the person at the front desk to please give me another room. Without further ado he gave me a room on the 6th floor - facing the ugly backyard (see photo).

Anyhow: The contemporary designed room was quiet (no noise from trains entering the station) and it also appeared to be pretty clean. Only drawback of that room compared to the previous one was that the bathroom was substantially smaller - but I could live with that detail. There was a bathtub with shower. Amenities were sparse; for example there was no separate shampoo available, just the one-for-all shampoo-and-soap dispenser which reminds me more of a 2 or 3 star hotel than a (supposedly) 4-star hotel.

The powerful a/c (air conditioning) in the room worked very well. The room also had an electronic in-room safe, but I think I didn't see any user manual. Unfortunately, there was also neither a kettle nor a coffee-maker in the room. The flat-screen TV was good, with a lot of programs in various languages, but the brightness of the screen changed slightly on its own every few seconds.

After such as bad start, I tried my best to feel comfortable in that hotel. So later that day I decided to have a drink at the hotel bar. That was largely wishful thinking because a staff member soon explained to me that the bar was closed during the summer months. But he asked me if I wanted something from the bar and so I actually got to have a drink at the hotel bar - even though it was officially closed.

In the lobby area they have a desktop computer with a highly welcome printer that guests can use for free for example for printing boarding passes. I didn't try the WiFi system as I had access to the Internet somehow else most of the time.

I've paid 48 Euros (42 £ / 64 USD) per night - without breakfast however. Front desk advised me that breakfast would cost 15 Euros extra per day and person. I decided to try breakfast the second morning of my stay and overall I'd say breakfast was good. Not as good as at other 4 star hotels I know of but it was OK. The hotel restaurant itself has a very modern look!

The person on duty in the restaurant was very friendly and for example immediately replenished the spoons when they run out and so on. Nevertheless 15 Euros is too much for what was on offer. 10 Euros would have been adequate, especially on weekends where they - as it seems - offer less choices than on weekdays.
By the way: Upon checkout you have to pay the Brussels City Tax (in French: “Taxe sur les établissements hôteliers”, which I think is generally not included in the hotel prices of the hotels in Brussels) which was around 7 Euros per night.

There are a couple of alternative options for breakfast (and dinner by the way) around the Midi train station, especially at the Horta Square, which is located on the opposite side of the tracks (you basically just walk straight through the train station to get there) and where there are a couple of nice restaurants and bars catering to the Eurostar and Thalys travellers. However, on weekends they seem to open later than on weekdays (9 am or 10 am?).

As other reviewers have mentioned already, the immediate area around the Midi train station is a bit rough with some homeless people sleeping there at night. Otherwise the general area is OK. The Midi train station is much nicer than the Northern train station in Brussels for example. If you can afford it and absolutely want/need to be near a train station in Brussels, then I'd suggest staying at one of the hotels near the Central train station, the nicest of the three main train stations in Brussels city.

Next to the Midi train station there were also a bus, a tram and a metro (underground / subway) station. From Brussels National airport there's a direct train connection to Midi train station (journey time was less than 30 minutes and cost less than 10 Euros if I remember correctly). So the hotel is also very convenient for travellers that arrive in Brussels by air.

Conclusion:
As luck would have it, the hotel was not fully booked (70% occupancy rate as one of the staff members told me) so it was no problem to change rooms. And every major problem I had was somehow professionally resolved by one of the staff members (that's the reason by the way why I gave this hotel 3 stars instead of only 2). But: I simply experienced too many problems at the Cascade Midi Hotel to even consider returning there any time soon.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank Voyager
Dear Guest,

First of all a big thank you for taking the time to share you experience at the Hotel Cascade Midi.

As you took the time to give a detailed feedback I took time, with pleasure, to read it through several times.

I have noted down the positive points, mainly the staff, being of major importance for a hotel.

It goes without saying that I have made a detailed analysis of the points where we can work on.

In the meanwhile we have installed coffee & tea facilities in all of the rooms and are revising the amenities in the bathroom.

All of the other points have been spoken trough with the department heads in order to adapt where necessary and/or possible.

We will keep on working hard to improve where we can, in order to meet your and our standards.

Despite your less positive experience we hope to be welcoming you back to show you that the inconveniences that you had were exceptional rather than general.

High Point, North Carolina
Reviewed August 2, 2013

The location is great because it is right across for the Euto Star Station. The rooms we a good size and very comfortable. There is no air conditioning so we opened the window. It was a bit noisy at times. Staff was nice.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Debbi G,

Thank you very much for your kind review.

We are happy to read that you enjoyed your stay at the Hotel Cascade Midi Brussels.

Just for the record I would like to mention that all of our rooms are equipped with an individual air conditioning. Next time please feel free to ask our receptionists to give a hand in case anything is not clear in the functioning.

We hope to welcoming you back soon in Brussels.

General Manager.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Saint-Gilles
Park Inn by Radisson Brussels Midi
#5 of 22 in Saint-Gilles
Made in Louise
Made in Louise
#1 of 16 in Ixelles

Been to Novotel Brussels Midi Station? Share your experiences!