“Excellent experience”

Novotel Brussels Midi Station
Ranked #5 of 22 Hotels in Saint-Gilles
Reviewed November 13, 2011

Fabulous hotel. Located across from the train station, it provided us with convenience to the airport and to downtown via subway. The hotel was modern and very clean. We were impressed by the safety features, keyed entry to hotel AND elevators once inside. The staff was helpful in providing information on how to get around Brussels in a safe manner.
I would definitely stay there again!

Room Tip: Terrible neighborhood, but convenient to subway. Great hotel.
  • Stayed: November 2011, traveled as a couple

Reviewed October 30, 2011

We only stayed at this hotel one night, so it was a great location by the Midi train station. we were able to walk there quickly and easily and located the hotel with ease upon arrival. it saved us cab/subway fare in both directions. When we arrived, the service was polite, but not overly helpful. The room was average sized compared to American hotels, so pretty generous for European standards. it was a bit far from the EU neighborhood and the Grand Place - we did take the subway to those locations. When we went out in the evening, there wasn't a lot going on and the neighborhood did feel a little sketchy in the dark. The room was very clean except for someone's half-eaten sandwich left in the refrigerator. We also felt that the price for internet service and lack of breakfast detracted from the value of the hotel, considering that the main attraction is the location to the train station versus the proximity of other cool things in the city.

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 10, 2011

Around 1800 hrs. on 22.9.2011, as the bottle of shampoo which had already been used up that morning had not yet been replenished, I contacted the room service through intercom and a lady on the other side of the line replied that she would arrange to send us the shampoo as soon as possible. However, I waited some 45 minutes but the shampoo had not yet arrived and no one contacted me again. I therefore went to the reception desk at the G/F and told that gentleman on duty (a tall slim white guy) my problem. To my astonishment, he became nervously furious immediately and he just kept yelling hysterically that he had not received any phone call from me since he resumed duty that afternoon. He just kept yelling loudly again and again until when I assured him that it was a lady, and not him, who had answered my phone call, and that I was not blaming him. Since I was not satisfied with his manner, for which made me feel that it was me who should apologize to him, I asked him his name. However, he refused, and he even mockingly challenged me to lodge a complaint with the hotel group director. He said that he was friends with the director and therefore he did not care a damn.

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled as a couple
3  Thank James L
Reviewed September 10, 2011

Positives -

- 5 minute walk from Brussels Midi station. Very handy for Eurostar and other international rail connections, especially those early mornings or late nights. Also perfect for metro and tram connections around the city.
- Plush, modern, hotel, looks brand new.
- All mod-cons. Air conditioning, flat screen TV, power shower, etc.
- Effective sound-insulation, shuts out the noise of the station and the city.
- Secure front door. Secure key-card operated lifts and doors.
- Multi lingual reception staff.
- Spotlessly clean.
- Stylish hotel bar, where you can indulge in strong Belgian beers within staggering distance of your room!
- The huge Sunday market of Brussels is easily accessibly, as this takes place in the area around Midi Suid railway station.

Negatives -

- Not close to any good restaurants. However, it’s very close to the trams, metros and buses of Midi station, from where you can easily travel around the city.
- In the area two blocks to the north around Stalingrad Avenue, you see very few women after dark; the café tables on the pavements are populated solely by hundreds of men. This is presumably due to the religious customs of this mainly Arabic area. Bear this in mind if you’re a single female traveller, or in an all-female group, as you will be very conspicious and may attract unwanted attention.
- Like all city railway stations, the surroundings are not the prettiest in the city. However, compared to many other railway stations of capital cities (eg. Rome, New York, Paris), we felt safe in the immediate surroundings, and the area is surprisingly free of graffiti and loiterers. But if you want to wake up to a beautiful view, this is not the best choice.

We brought our own breakfast to the room, so can’t comment on the hotel breakfast or dining area. However, the terrace was below our window and looked very attractive.

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank NightOwl34
Reviewed September 9, 2011

The Hotel Cascade Midi is good value for money and a 2 minute walk to Brussels Midi station. Staff and locals were exceedingly friendly and helpful.

In room services leave a bit to be desired for the desired rating - no coffee maker or proper toiletries, but instead a bottle of generic body wash/shampoo mounted to the shower wall. Some refer to this as 'standard european' though I disagree for a new hotel appointed so well otherwise.

Wifi was ala carte at 14 euro a day. Most cafe's have free wifi, so not worth paying the hotel price if traveling for leisure.

I was traveling alone, so found the neighborhood a little concerning, particularly after dark. The fact that the front desk must buzz everyone in, even in daylight, is telling.

There is a nice town square about a 7 minute walk from the hotel with a historic monument nearby. That area feels safer, though I was warned to keep my backpack and laptop protected walking back to the hotel.

In summary - good value for money, brand new/comfy, watch your valuables in public and bring toiletries!

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled solo
1  Thank Niblik2010
Reviewed September 9, 2011

The hotel was very close to Centraal train station, so it was quite easy for us to locate - about a 3 minute walk once you get your bearings. That said, it's about a 20-30 minute walk to The Grand Place. The room we got was very spacious and clean, and the concierge on duty at the time was quite helpful with our tourist-y questions. I would recommend it and would stay here again.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 22, 2011

What can I not say about this beautiful hotel....Myself and my friend stayed here for her birthday weekend and the staff couldn't do enough for us.The hotel was immaculate and the staff too. We would highly reccommend it to anyone for business or for pleasure. Hope to see Nikolia and the staff again very soon. Thanks again A and J

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled with friends
Also consider these accommodations in or near Saint-Gilles
Ibis Brussels Centre Gare Midi
Pullman Brussels Centre Midi Hotel
Park Inn by Radisson Brussels Midi
Ibis Brussels off Grand Place
NH Collection Brussels Centre
Novotel Brussels Grand Place

Been to Novotel Brussels Midi Station? Share your experiences!