“Quirky , different”

Vintage Hotel Brussels
Ranked #1 of 22 Hotels in Saint-Gilles
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed June 28, 2012

Spent 2 nights here. Found the place to be pleasant. Couldn't get wifi I the room though.. We asked several times and all I got was "yes , I just need to go and reset the router" but that didn't t happen till the morning we were leaving...

Room was small for two people with luggage but it was clean...

Breakfast was great.

The staff, ( guys ) that were on shift were very friendly - the female was a bit grumpy both days...

Just a reminder , if you have a car don't park it on the street overnight - use the Car park that is opposite. We had our windows smashed on our hire car, the day we were leaving... Bummer.

Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Krisy64

Reviewed June 13, 2012

loved this hotel. it's not in the center of the city, but that made it quiet and relaxed. it's a 20-30 minute walk from pretty much anywhere you want to go. free breakfast. staff were very helpful and sweet to us.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Jonvespa
Reviewed May 24, 2012

I am in Brussels at least two times a year to visit the European Commission. After having tried out a number of boring and depressing hotels, finally I found the Vintage hotel, which is my hotel of choice ever since. This is a small hotel, not attached to any chain, conveniently close to Louisa subway station. Its characteristics are (a) the 1960s vintage design and (b) the loving attention to detail. Breakfast is excellent by Brussels standards with fresh juice, good bread and good coffee from a decent coffee machine. In the evening, the breakfast room doubles up as a wine bar where one can sample a dozen or so well-chosen wines by the glass. The rooms are individually designed, with bright colors. The staff is relaxed and friendly. Highly recommended!

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank Reiner H
Reviewed May 15, 2012

A good selection of wines by the glass. A nice place to stop for an aperitif in the sun in the afternoon. There is a silver VW parked in the courtyard - not sure if its on display or can be rented. My husband walked directly into one of the rooms when looking for a bathroom - very small and not in great shape.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank LeesaSoulodre
Reviewed May 12, 2012

What a strange place! For us it’s clear that we will not stay in this Vintage hotel in the future. Why? First of all (but this could be a personal taste) we do not appreciate to stay in a hotel where acquaintances of the staff are using the joint, outside terrace to smoke hasish. We were also very surprised that bathrooms doors were painted during our stay (we ended up with fresh paint on our hands and a not nice smell in the room) and this all without any warning. The bed and bathrooms are extremely small, noisy and with hardly any proper lighting. The lift in the annex building did not function well. Male staff was very rude and not helpful and the information about regulations was unclear and badly communicated.

Fortunately there were also some positive experiences, like the nice common lounge area, the excellent breakfast and the location, close to metro stop Louise (7 minutes walk).

Unfortunately the positives did not balance the negative experiences…..

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank JAEMH
bwilmet, Propriétaire at Vintage Hotel Brussels, responded to this reviewResponded May 14, 2012

Dear Sir,

I understand that things have not happened the way you expected them to, but it is also my right to answer all mentioned points, knowing I was there personally that night.
To start, please notice that only one person in our team smokes (and no hashish !) and only them were present that night after the closing of our opening ceremony of the brand new concept of Airstream Room. It was no hashish, and no friends or acquaintances of our staff were present that night !

Concerning the painting of the bathroom doors, we can only apologize if we had not told you about this, but please do not shoot on us to take care of our hotel, and paint it regularly.
This is done precisely to welcome you and our other guests in fantastic conditions !

Reviewed May 4, 2012

I stayed here for 3 nights at the end of April 2012. This hotel was not at all what I expected, especially having read other recent reviews prior to my booking and stay. In short: for the price I paid, I expected far more. We paid approximately 130 Euros per night, so if you are looking around in this price range, consider other options (such as the Sofitel La Louise which is in the same area).

The positives:
1. The bed was firm.
2. The breakfast was included in the price and good - croissants, bread, coffee, juice, joghurt, cheese and cold cuts of meat.
3. Close to Metro station.
4. The staff at reception was friendly and helpful.

The not-so-nice:
1. The room was exceptionally small. So too was the bathroom. No, really, my room in res at college was bigger than this. I almost hit my head against the wall when I sat down on the toilet.
2. The pillows were floppy and flat. Bring your own.
3. The room was noisy, overlooking the courtyard to the entrance. You could hear everyone sitting in the courtyard or entering the hotel.
4. There is no aircon in the room. It got rather warm. If you opened the windows, you had even more noise.
5. The decor was well, old. No, not just vintage, the wallpaper was peeling. Putting 2 hairy pillows on the bed and having 2 useless bedside lamps looking like sick green jellyfish doesn't in my view count as being quirky or cute vintage decor.
6. The toiletries in the bathroom - there was one soap dispenser next to the sink and an identical one in the shower - an "all-in-one" soap which doubles as shampoo and conditioner. That's it. No lotions, shower caps, shampoo, just the soap. Sadly, the soap did not work well as a shampoo. Maybe if the hairdryer was working properly my hair would not have looked more oily after being washed than before the wash. Bring your own toiletries if you book at this hotel. Once again, for the price, I think they could have done more.
7. The hairdryer had one setting that worked - slow and medium heat. If you have thick hair, good luck with this one.
8. The dustbin (the only one was in the bathroom) didin't open properly. I don't want to sound ridiculous, but it really annoyed me. When you step on the little lever to open the dustbin, it wouldn't open, so you had to open the lid using both hands every time you wanted to throw away something. Yuk.

If despite the above you decide to take a chance on the Vintage hotel, some tips:
1. Metro lines 2 and 6 travel between Gare du Midi (South) and Louisa stations. Alternatively, a taxi from Gare du Midi to the hotel will cost you approximately 6 Euros.
2. The stairs are narrow and steep and there are no elevators.
3. Wi-fi is free in the lobby.
4. The area is away from the hustle and bustle of Grand Place, but you have to walk quite a distance to get to the tourist attractions, alternatively use a taxi or public transport.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled as a couple
4  Thank Elmo2012
bwilmet, Propriétaire at Vintage Hotel Brussels, responded to this reviewResponded May 8, 2012

Dear Customer.
Thank you foryour feedback, always appreciated.
The absence of Airconditionning is something clearly mentionned on all websites and booking engines.
If the temperature in Brussels in April was too hot for you, you should have asked one of our fender to cool off your room.

Hope to serve you even better next time.
Regards

Bernard

Reviewed May 1, 2012

Had a quick one night stay here recently. the hotel was small as was the room. but this is Brussels so I wasn't expecting much within my budget. first major disappointment was the fact that I couldn't get a room early since my flight got in at 10 am. so i was told to walk around and get back by 3. not much to do on a sunday since most places were closed. the hotel is off Ave Louise which i am told is the place to shop. but it was a ghost town on sunday. once i got my room, the other disappointment was not the size but that you had to pay for wi fi. so it is a pain. quite a hassel to go up and down the hotel too. the lights are governed by motion detectors that take a bit to come on so be careful. the room is comfortable and clean and a little quirky but not a room to lounge in, just to shower, change and sleep. i guess for a short stay or a business trip this place works aside from that, i would recommend searching elsewhere... the big plus is that breakfast is part of the price and it is really good.... .

Room Tip: rooms are varied in sizes here try and get a bigger room, maybe worth the extra