“Particular but nice”
Review of Monty Design Hotel

Monty Design Hotel
“Particular but nice”
Reviewed February 1, 2013

It was just my kind of quirky and therefore I would go there again (if it would not be booked out that often).
In regards to more objective criteria: it was reasonably clean, quiet, and i got a very speacious room (single occupancy). If you are a big TV fan then perhaps it is not the best hotel for you. Location wise, of course it will depend on your needs, but if you have to go to the European Quarter then it is well located and close to the metro. Breakfast was ok and you get to have it seated around one big table with all the other guests.

Plus, there was a red cow statue, which you just have to love!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank LiivP

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (13)
  • Czech first
Tampere, Western Finland, Finland
Reviewed January 23, 2013

It is a shame that they dare even call this hotel a design hotel!!!
The room's walls are very dirty and damaged, the TV's screen is not bigger than a tablet, plugs are at least 30 years old, the window is so thin that I could hear all the street noise from my room although my room was on the 3rd floor. The shower is very dirty, tiles' joints are brownish, wonder how one couldn't catch mushrooms in this kind of shower. Now, I truly regret not having read the previous reviews... the description of the heater in the bathroom being totally rusted is correct. Shower walls are dirty and the toilet's flush is so full of dirty traces that it feels really disgusting to even touch it!!!
Luckily, bed sheets seem to be clean as well as towels...
Mr. Ihsan Eren, the owner of the hotel, hasn't understood that mixing some black and red together with plastic objects doesn't make a filthy hotel "design". He certainly knows though how to cheat his customers!!!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Maga R

Travelers are raving about these Woluwe-Saint-Lambert hotels

Hasselt, Belgium
Reviewed June 19, 2012

Waking up to the sound of birds singing ... So lovely ! Yes, the hotel might need some repair work here and there but certainly the general condition is more than OK. Our room 202 was clean, the bathroom was clean although the radiator hanging close to the shower was very rusty (not a good place to hang a radiator). Sadly we had only one pair of towels but I'm certain if we had asked for another pair this would have been corrected immediately. As we only noticed it when we were already in pyjama's ... We did not bother to ask. Reception was very friendly, French and English are spoken. Breakfast is from 7-10 am, sadly we had to leave earlier so we could not join but the large table looked very inviting! The man offered us a croissant to go so that was very nice of him ;-) Free WIFI which is always a plus ! Our room was at the back of the hotel and we slept with the window open (no airco) and the blades almost down. I like a dark room and the curtain did the job very well. The bed was soft which I usually don't like but for some reason I slept like a baby ;-) No lift. Free coffee or thee. Minibar 2.50€ for mineral water. No parking but easily found a space around the corner but parking might be a problem sometimes. Public transport available very nearby !

Room Tip: ask for a room at the back
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank _NF_70
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 18, 2012

Monty Hotel took advantage of a room shortage by charging 235 euros plus tax for a small single room for 1 night. The toilet seat was broken. The lid for the bin fell off. The shower head spurted water everywhere. The curtain did not cover the window. Given that it faced a busy noisy road and towards the East where the sun poured in from an early hour -- unacceptable. The room had a mini-bar and they had the audacity to expect guests to pay 2.50 euros for water! The design features were nasty bits of red plastic -- exactly what one might expect a fake bordello to look like. Everthing was slightly grubby as it was in desparate need of a fresh coat of paint. Really unacceptable for the price!

Room Tip: find another hotel
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank 23Kath
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 29, 2012

I ended up in this hotel when booking a last minute work trip when the hotels I normally stay in were all busy. I had expected something quirky, clean and modern.

What I actually found was a jaded and dated hotel, with lots of things that just didn't work properly.

Firstly I was put in what seemed to be a converted garage. The paint on the door was peeling, and there was a manky plant pot used as an ashtray right outside my door. The shrubs were overgrown making it difficult to even get to the room. And then the key didn't work properly.

Finally got into the room to find it was horrible and dirty, the carpet was really thin and filthy. There was nowhere sensible to leave my suitcase, coat or bag. There was only one powerpoint which meant I had a choice of charging my phone, laptop or having a light on. And no mirror in the bedroom, just a tiny one in the bathroom! Or a water glass...

The bathroom looked like it hadn't been cleaned or dusted in weeks. The towels were thin, small, and smelled! I've never stayed in a hotel with smelly towels before, it made me wonder if they just put them back on the rail without washing them between guests!

I had a terrible night's sleep, the bed was right by a (lovely stained glass) massive window which was a ground level right by the pavement and an extremely busy road. I kept getting woken up by people walking by talking, at about 5am by people standing outside my room and chatting (!) and by passing traffic.

Then in the morning the hideousness of the room became clear. The windowsill was filthy, the bathroom curtain thick with mould.

Breakfast was a strange communal table. Not awful, other than the fact that the door handle into the room was broken. So I spent 5 minutes trying to get out of my bedroom (glad there wasn't a fire in the night...) and then looked like an idiot trying to get into the main part of the house. Finally the manager came over, pointed that I needed to turn the handle in a different direction, and walked off! And incase you're thinking I'm a little dim, it then happened to another lady, except this time I let her in whilst the manager shrugged and walked away.

It was awful, I would not stay there again if you paid me. They need to give it a good clean, put some sensible, working, furnishings in, mend the locks and put a more cheerful manager in. Then it might become the quirky cool hotel it wants to be.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank nellieeatsout
Oslo, Norway
Reviewed April 24, 2012

The idea of a low cost "design" hotel is not bad - but it did not work out for me on a business trip. Perhaps it would work out better if I was on a holiday trip where meeting new people was part of the "package". If so I think this hotel could work fine.
For me it did not - and the communal breakfast killed it to be honest. 8 people sharing a breakfast table is a good idea, if they are all between 16 and 30 (or feeling like it) and open for new acquiantances at 8am in the morning :) Well the 8 of us around the table were neither.
The other big negative for me was that the room on the street was only barfely sound insulated by the old windows.
+++ Good restaurants just outside the hotel.

Room Tip: Check in early to get garden rooms - the ones on the street are very noisy,
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled on business
2 Thank NasseNoff
London
Reviewed March 19, 2012

I have never reviewed a hotel before, but after my 2 day stay at Hotel Monty this past weekend I feel compelled to let others know what they are in for if they choose to stay here...

The hotel interiors were very dated and cheap which I wouldn't have minded this so much if the place wasn't so filthy.The carpets were worn and dirty, the shower curtains manky - even the television remote was covered in grime. When the maid cleaned she didn't actually empty bins or tidy anything beyond making the bed.

Speaking of beds...it was tiny and uncomfortable with scratchy bedding and just one pillow. Neither of us slept properly either night. That could also have been due to the fact that you could hear every other guests movements - if someone comes in the front door, up the stairs or is speaking in the other room...you'll hear it.

The bathroom was also pretty gross - rusted shower taps, tiny paper thin towels and an unattached toilet seat that kept falling off. Also useful for waking up your partner and other guests...

The staff were very unhelpful - they didn't have an adapter or iPhone charger and were not able to offer any advice on where I might be able to purchase one locally. Also, the guy on front desk forgot to make my wake up call at 5:30am which meant nearly missing the train back to London.

Oh, it's also not at all close to Brussels Midi (€20 ride across the city) or the airport - or anything interesting...

I would not stay here again.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with friends
Also consider these accommodations in or near Woluwe-Saint-Lambert
Ramada Brussels Woluwe
Best Western Plus Park Hotel Brussels
Vintage Hotel Brussels
Vintage Hotel Brussels
#1 of 22 in Saint-Gilles

Been to Monty Design Hotel? Share your experiences!