“Pure and simple - catastrophy!”
Review of Monty Design Hotel

Monty Design Hotel
Zagreb, Croatia
“Pure and simple - catastrophy!”
Reviewed October 3, 2011

I have travelled to 25 European states, spent hundereds of nigts in various hotels but never in my life I have seen a ''hotel'' like this. Filthy, noisy, with no elevator, no reception... My happiness was complete the moment I seen the pitfall for bugs next to the minibar... That is what you get during the day. And during the night, when the metro passes, the entire building trembles. In the morning you eat breakfast at the same table with all other tenants, as if in Big Brother house. Oh, did I mention - all of them are taking bread and croissants out of the box with their hands? But once is for sure - I will definitely remember this place - so that I NEVER EVER return here again! p.s. this joyful experience costed me 135€ per night!?

• Stayed September 2011, traveled on business
6 Thank IvanaZagreb123

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (13)
  • Czech first
D
Reviewed September 6, 2011

We stayed in the Monty Hotel for 2 nights in September 2011 (room 101; 2 adults and 1 child of 3 years) and we were at first very pleased with everything:
The room seemed to be clean and in good estate, the breakfast buffet was very good and all employees were friendly, polite and helpful.
Public transportation is available.
The hotel is situated at a big road. We had a room on the backside, which was ok concerning noise, however the traffic could be heard and in the morning (so I assume that on the front side of the hotel it might be much louder, especially if you want to/ have to leave a window open for fresh air).
Free WiFi and free coffee/tee were very nice add ons.
(The price was quite high from our point of view with >100 EUR per night, but this seems to be "normal" in Brussels).

The only problem (which made this stay a very bad experience with long lasting effects) was the following:
already after the first night my wife and I had a lot of itching stitches and my wife nearly had not slept at all. We thought we had let in mosquitoes trough the open window.
The second night, I also nearly did not sleep, we got many, many more bites both all over our bodies (fortunately our son sleeping on a third bed was not affected at all), all of them itching and some of them got really tumid.
When we put on the lights at 3AM, we found one bed bug (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bed_bug) sitting on the bed-head of my bed, which we could catch in a drinking glass.
In the following hours, we could hardly sleep at all.

The next morning we informed the hotel manager, which looked concerned and said he had never seen such animals before. He promised to contact an expert and not let the room to other people.
We just arrived today from the hotel, so we will see how to find a solution for all the troubles we've had (no sleep, itching bites all over) - but the worst thing is, that we had our open suitcase directly next to the bed so we fear to have brought some of the beasts at home.
So when coming home we had to seal all our luggage in plastic bags and contact a vermin expert to find out how to be sure that there are no remains left in our belongings, which maybe was and is the most annoying part ot this problem. :-(

If technically possible [this is my first review on tripadvisor, but I've often profited by the information given here so I want to warn everybody, that even good hotels can have very bad surprises], I'll try to update this review when we finally found a solution.

All information sources say that the presence of bed bugs does not necessarily mean a lack of hygiene, but that they can be everywhere and distribute rapidly...

Stayed September 2011, traveled with family
11 Thank Jürgen H

Travelers are raving about these Woluwe-Saint-Lambert hotels

Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Reviewed June 21, 2011

We often choose design hotels for our weeked escapes.Unfortunately most of the design hotels contain one or two design features.Suprisingly Monty Small Design Hotel really deserves to be a reall Design Hotel.Almost every item is from a designer such as Ron ARAD, P STARCK, İngo Maurer......
We have read about this hotel on National Geographic magazine.
The breakfast was really good and the staff is excellent.
We stayed in 104 and our friends stayed in 102 .The rooms are confortable, the wifi works excellent and you dont have to pay for it (mostdesign hotels charge it as extra).
We definately will be back...

• Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple
5 Thank SarahJohn00
Paris, France
Reviewed January 28, 2011

I know Brussels can be expensive and so decided to try a lesser known hotel for my one night stay.
This is a converted terrace house and looks ok, in fact the place has a reasonably nice appearance. The rooms are small and very basic, and to many guests I am sure that will be fine. The sound insulation is not good and between the passing traffic on one side and the creaking stairs on the other, I felt like I had gone back to my house-sharing days.

WIFI was included which is always a plus. Good variety of dining options nearby.

Breakfast is served at a communal table and is good, and the staff are very helpful when required. I just had the feeling that for my €110 euro, I could have done better, and got a better nights sleep.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled on business
3 Thank Pip T
London, England
Reviewed January 23, 2011

A few minutes from Central Brussels by metro station Georges Henri. Situated on a busy intersection with restaurants and a few shops nearby. The hotel is a very interesting place to stay as an old townhouse. The lounge/reception is spacious with a computer which is free of charge for guests to use although it does offer free WIFI. Breakfast is taken around one large table just off the lounge and I found this to be well stocked with a good choice of breakfast goodies. The bedroom and bathroom had everything I needed for my stay.Room temperature was adjustable by the thermostats on the radiators. It offered all I needed to ensure a comfortable stay. Tip take ear plugs in case you get a room at the front of the hotel.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled solo
5 Thank Turmstrasse
Athens, Greece
Reviewed December 25, 2010

plus: Stylish hotel, great location (restaurants and shops nearby), tastefully decorated room with free WiFi, free coffee and tea 24/7

minus: Room a bit cramped, staff rather cold

All in all, absolutely OK for its price

• Stayed December 2010, traveled solo
5 Thank Thanasis1212
Frankfurt, Germany
Reviewed December 15, 2010

Service people in this small boutique hotel are very nice. Moreover, I liked the idea that all guests are having breakfast together around o n e table. Rooms are tiny: Mine was in the attic and covered some 12 sqm incl. bathroom. Even though it was March, Brussels was extremely cold at that time (freezing) which affected the room temperature as well. Rates appear to be normal Brussels prices.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled on business
3 Thank dkdklmpsz
Also consider these accommodations in or near Woluwe-Saint-Lambert
Ramada Brussels Woluwe
Tangla Hotel Brussels
#1 of 4 in Woluwe-Saint-Lambert
Best Western Plus Park Hotel Brussels
MEININGER Hotel Brussels City Center
MEININGER Hotel Brussels City Ce...
#1 of 2 in Saint-Jans-Molenbeek

Been to Monty Design Hotel? Share your experiences!