“Overpriced and remote without a car”

Ramada Brussels Woluwe
UK
“Overpriced and remote without a car”
Reviewed September 27, 2013

Stayed here during a show at the Expo which may have contributed to the ridiculous 366euro price, excluding breakfast at 19Euro!
Web site quotes 20mins to nearest station but it took me a fast 25mins and I am fit and over 6 feet so pretty fast walker - also needed smartphone maps to find it as it's not easy. Alternative is a bus then try to find the Metro entrance at either Diamant or Schuman stations.
My room was the same as the large "professional" picture in the TA title with a sofa bed and twin beds. There were no power outlets anywhere near the bed on either side so my phone was at the other end of the room on charge (and as the alarm).
Breakfast OK but no way worth 19Euro.
Checkout was slow.
Not sure if the price is more reasonable at other times but not worth half what I paid. Don't bother staying here unless you drive then it's great as it's literally adjacent to the E40.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
Stephane70, General Manager at Ramada Brussels Woluwe, responded to this review, October 3, 2013
Dear Sir,
Thank you for your review regarding our hotel. We understand your position as the hotel sold you one of the last rooms during fair period Labelexpo. Rates are higher for all Brussels during this sole week.

Without car our hotel is easy acces with the bus 79 line.

Excellent regards

Stéphane De Bruyn

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (38)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
  • Indonesian first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Helsinki, Finland
Reviewed September 11, 2013

I've stayed in this hotel several times due convenient location for the office I visit when travelling on business. I think rooms vary a bit, but they all have been okay, some of them even excellent. Bed is comfortable, furnishing is nice and functional. Also cleanliness varies from very good to so-so. My latest perception was that vacuuming should be more thorough and once there were even dried puke in my room. 

Breakfast is bit pricey, but selection and quality was enough for me. Food in restaurant (I have tried it only once) was not more than fair. Service in restaurant was extremely slow and rude (e.g. waiting for invoice over 30 min).

My biggest headache with this hotel is service over all. Quite often they are short on resourcing and service is slow, but even worse is that it’s usually un-friendly and not service minded at all. But to be fair, one of them (Albert?) is always polite. Sometimes when travelling you might have special requests like asking them to call a taxi etc. but those requests are not appreciated in this hotel and you feel very un-welcome.

For me if there wouldn’t be the location aspect I would probably stay elsewhere even it's nice hotel, but I just can't accept poor service.

Room Tip: If you are light sleeper you would like to consider rooms not facing to A3/E40.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
Good afternoon

Thank you for the review. Unfortunately I do not have your name written on the posting.
Would you be able to send me a small note regarding your last experience, only in order to have your Email address and to observe a better serviec next time you come to the Ramada Brussels.

We regret the experience before,warmest hospitality regards

UK
Reviewed August 13, 2013

I booked a 'suite' at this hotel via hotels.com for an overnight business trip in August 2013. According to the confirmation email the room was meant to have two twin beds. Not ideal as I don't like the way you can feel the join between the beds but that was the best that was on offer. I ended up having 2 single beds.

Whilst the room was very clean I felt the layout was quite poor, for example the TV was fixed on the wall above the desk at such an angle that it wasn't possible to watch TV from bed unless I craned my neck at an uncomfortable angle. The power sockets were located above the desk and by one of the light switches but there was no power socket near the bed. To get the electricity supply working in the room you must put your key card in a slot by the door. I understand why hotels do this but the end result is that the alarm clock on the desk had to be reset every time the power was turned back on. I would suggest removing the clock completely as it is useless like this.

The guest information brochure made mention a few times that they use an IP telephone system in the hotel but that seemed to be broken - the phone in my room didn't work I thought because the ethernet cable was damaged but even after replacing it it didn't work. This was a problem as the wireless internet connection (which the guest information guide made a point of saying was very fast and reliable) was completely unusable. It would work for 10 minutes and then for the next hour or so I couldn't even see the network broadcasting. I had the same problem with my laptop and iPad. Had the IP phone been working I could have plugged my laptop into the back of the phone. End result - no internet access from the room unless I used expensive tethering from my mobile phone which I did as there was some work I had to get done. I presume the issue was known though as when I left the following morning there was a maintenance man replacing some network equipment in a cupboard outside my door.

I really did not like the bathroom layout, for some reason rather than use an alcove for a lovely walk in shower they put the toilet there and the bath and shower (very nice and powerful shower by the way) right next to the window with just a net curtain that went seethrough when wet for privacy from the outside world. I know the window mostly overlooked the E40 road but I didn't like the lack of privacy.

One of the windows in the room had a big crack in it (see attached picture) which whilst it didn't cause a problem as such was unsightly and not something I would expect any hotel, irrespective of grade to leave unfixed.

Breakfast was ok, the coffee was particularly good. Getting to the restaurant wasn't terribly easy as the signage in the hotel is very lacking. The 1st floor was labeled in the lift (be careful of the doors by the way, they shut very quickly) was having the restaurant but I saw no signs for it. It turns out the restaurant is indeed on the 1st floor but you have to go through 2 unsigned doors to reach it.

There was a hand written hotel from the hotel manager on the bed for me. I would prefer that he spends less time writing nice welcome notes and more time fixing such things as broken windows.

Location wise, this hotel was perfect, it was about a 3 minute walk from where I had a business appointment the following morning but despite this I won't stay here again even though I am occasionally visiting this location.

Admittedly I did not talk to any of the staff about my gripes whilst I was there as I was feeling quite unwell so after unpacking I didn't want to have to move rooms.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
Dear Sir,

We thank you for this review and observed the window problem.

First of all, we would like to express our regrets regarding this inconvenience.
The purpose of our house is to maximise the clients’ satisfaction and improve hospitality.

We have also noted your information on the bathroom, unfortunately this will be difficult to change

We assure you of our best services at all times.
Yours sincerely,

Stephane De Bruyn
Ganaral Manager

Travelers are raving about these Woluwe-Saint-Lambert hotels

rotherham
Reviewed July 17, 2013

Stayed in Brussels for Andre Rieu concert (which was fantastic!!!!). Room was ok but working the shower proved a bit of a challenge as did finding the mains adaptor.Go on Guess!!!! It was in the safe!!! Obviously a valuable item on holiday but stashed in the safe????
Reception staff not terribly helpful, I asked for extra pillows and was informed that they didn't have any!! Was advised to fold a towel and use that, which wasn't particularly helpful.
The meal in the restaurant was reasonable but pricey. Breakfast was ok and good continental selection, best hotel coffee I have had. I was on a coach tour so did not choose the hotel. Bit awkward to get to and seemed too far away from the town centre unless you were going to get a taxi. Ok after long days travelling on a coach.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
2 Thank amanda p
Dear Sir,

We thank you for this review that observed all our attention.

Referring to your issues, please note our remarks:

1. The main adaptor is clearly markes with 'Main Light'
2. All safes include power adaptor for UK people, this is an interesting service free of charge. Business people enjoy this service as they do not need to buy or borrow one at reception.
3. Each room includes 2 extra pillows in the wardrobe , we think there has been a misunderstanding with the receptionist here, we regret any inconvenience.

Excellent regards

Reading,UK
Reviewed July 9, 2013

I stayed here for a Saturday night whilst travelling on further. My main complaint is that when booking in they should give you the address for the parking area,as to get to it from front of hotel(which does the hotel no favours as the flats opposite look rough) is nightmare,and I have to say the staff were not very helpful I had to ask more than once for the address for sat nav,without which I would have never thought of driving so far as its a 5-10 drive from front of hotel around the streets to get to back where parking is,and as for then charging 5 euros to basically park in a non secure car park.
Once in the room it was a large room,and very clean.Though in daylight hours the lights do not work,i take it that is something they do to be green.Also even though there was two of us we only got one key,so when I went out I couldn't take key as it controlled the electric.The shower was a little hard to work out,also I didn't like the fact even though it was just the motorway outside the bathroom window there was no blinds etc just a clear window.
The free wifi was really good,and worked better than most in hotels.
The breakfast was ok,nothing over the top great about it but quite a lot to choose from.
There is a big supermarket(Cora)within walking distance,and opposite where you have to go to use the road to get to parking.Also because of once living in the area I know the Woluwe shopping centre is just a short drive away,as is the centre of Brussels.
All in all I would use this hotel again on trips to Brussels.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Stephane70, General Manager at Ramada Brussels Woluwe, responded to this review, July 11, 2013
Good morning from Brussels !

Thank you very much for your Tripadvisor review.

We feel really sorry regarding the parking access, please find on our website following link to manage arrival without searching: http://www.ramadabrusselswoluwe.be/lang/en/images/parking/parking-driving-guidelines.pdf
We hope this will help you in finding correct access.

We hope to welcome you next time, excellent regars,

Stephane De Bruyn, General Manager
SouthAfrica
Reviewed July 6, 2013

We stayed there in June 2013 firstly for a few days independently on holiday and later joining the Cosmos tour group.

After 2 days of travelling, international airports and no sleep, we arrived at the hotel, just want to freshen up and rest. Only to be told they had a problem with our booking! The last thing a weary traveller needs. They advised that they were told to cancel our booking on 1 May (which was definately NOT the case, and we gave no such instruction). I gave them my receipt as at 8 May, showing up-front payment in full and voucher. (The date alone superceded whatever false instruction they received which clearly wasn't for us). But they insisted on an upfront payment of 100 Euro's (although we had already paid in full upfront on 8 May- they didn't even look at the proof of payment I produced). An international call to our travel agent back home, and they then acknowledged it and refunded our 100 Euros. I shudder to think of what would have happened if I hadn't been able to phone our efficient travel agent, as the reception staff were unprepared to sort out their error or acknowledge that our full payment was made on a date after their so-called cancellation!(And the frontline staff and Supervisor are fluent in English). They just weren't bothered.

Other than that, comfortable clean, spacious room, convenient, fast,free internet and great breakfast. The days before we joined our tour group, when we were booked privately, we had full buffet, including English breakfast. Full hot breakfast and full continental with a wonderful choice of cheeses, meats, fruits, breads, pasteries etc. One of the best selection we saw out of 6 hotels we stayed in Europe. Once joining the tour, we had to eat in the group and only had the continental, not English breakfast. It was very good, with a satisfactory range of food and plenty to eat. It is good that they separate tour groups from other diners. Only issue was the chef didn't understand English, but not a major problem.

I noted the reviews on this page prior to our holiday that it is apparantly so far from everything. We had no such issues. 10 minute luxury official airport taxi drive away, and regular buses right outside the hotel- how convenient. Having seen such filth in the centre of Brussels city, I was glad to be staying in a quiet, clean and leafy suburb, away from central Brussels!

The rooms are also super-spacious, lovely bathroom, everything you need. Pity they turn away paying customers, owing to (their) administrative errors and frontline staff.

If I was in Brussels again, I wouldn't hesitate to stay there again. But I would be sure to take plenty of airtime for international calls, in case the hotel messes up my long-in-advance-and-paid-for-booking again!

• Stayed June 2013
Stephane70, General Manager at Ramada Brussels Woluwe, responded to this review, July 8, 2013
Dear valuable customer,

Thank you for yor very argumented comments and information.
We regret that the payment issue was caused due to an international payment without reference number. We realise that this should have been organised in a more efficient way.

We would also like to thank you for your different commenting words on the service and accommodation level.
Hope to see you very soon in Brussels ! Best regards

Bellevue, Washington
Reviewed June 30, 2013 via mobile

Nice modern room, with decent beds. Shower fixture was a bit confusing.
Wifi wasn't included in the tour group rate and was an additional 5E per 24hours. Though receptionist didn't inform me about it I did locate a terminal next to reception and got IE to work (its hidden) to check mail.
Breakfast was ok, did not have many options for vegetarians.

• Stayed June 2013
Dear RK,

Thank you for your Tripadvisor Review and comments.
We will more focus on vegetarian dishes for the group breakfast buffet, kindly note that the individual buffet (supplement) includes 15 vegetarian options for all tasts.

We hope to see you soon back at the Ramada Brussels, excellent regards,

Stéphane De Bruyn
Also consider these accommodations in or near Woluwe-Saint-Lambert
Gresham Belson Hotel
Housingbrussels
Housingbrussels
#1 of 8 in Schaerbeek
Tangla Hotel Brussels
Tangla Hotel Brussels
#1 of 4 in Woluwe-Saint-Lambert
MEININGER Hotel Brussels City Center
MEININGER Hotel Brussels City Ce...
#1 of 2 in Saint-Jans-Molenbeek
4.0 of 5 bubbles 1,816 reviews
Floris Ustel Midi
Floris Ustel Midi
#2 of 6 in Anderlecht
Van Belle Hotel
Van Belle Hotel
#4 of 6 in Anderlecht

Been to Ramada Brussels Woluwe? Share your experiences!