“Lives up to the Sofitel Brand !”

Sofitel Brussels Le Louise
Ranked #4 of 15 Hotels in Ixelles
Reviewed September 24, 2012

This is my first experience of the Sofitel Louise in Brussels and it certainly lived up to expectations. It was a little busy on the street at the main entrance when I arrived as the hotel is just of Ave Louise, a busy shopping area in the city. There's not much room to drop off or pick up passengers at busy times. An escalator whisks you up from street level to the main reception area. It's definitely a very trendy hotel, a little different from the other Sofitel in Brussels, but very much in keeping with the modern style and feel of the brand. I had a very comfortable room and it came with a terrific wet room / rain shower area. The bar / restaurant (Crystal Lounge) is also very trendy and had a great atmosphere the night I stayed. The choice of food and the quality was great.

Room Tip: Ask for a room looking over the back of the hotel. These are likely to be much quieter.

Reviewed September 21, 2012

As many of the other reviewers state this is a lovely clean, well presented Hotel set in the Antiques Quarter of Brussels. It is well located for high end shops and is a short walk to the Metro and is 10 minutes from the main shopping centre / tourist area. Rooms were well equipped and comfortable if a little bit "corporate" in style. So why do I not give it an excellent accolade ???

Quite simply the staff !!!! A week after my visit I still can't work out if the staff were über cool or just slow !? I think it is the latter!

The bar / restaurant is lovely and well presented. Upon arrival you find a seat and staff drift in and around you always seeming to be busy. Eventually you ask to order a drink and they then arrive back with a drinks list and some nuts. At this point the staff drift off again and maybe 10 - 15 minutes later they eventually appear to take your order. Same system seems to happen with the food ordering which on the one occasion we decided to eat in the hotel took over an hour from entering the bar to actually getting to the first course !

On our last night in the hotel we took the provocative step of actually sitting at the bar and ordering directly from the bar staff (who were aghast when we handed the drinks list straight back to them and told them we already knew exactly what we wanted to drink !!). It only took 10 minutes this way to get a drink .... wow !

My other major gripe about this Hotel is the Concierge service which is truly appalling. I normally try to avoid using this service in even the best of hotels as usually you pay a mark up for anything that they procure for you, however on this occasion a late change of plans meant that we needed a rental car for 24 hours at short notice. The Concierge service in this hotel is a limited hours facility. On asking for him the first day we were told he was away from the desk for 2 minutes. After several chase up requests to reception he eventually appeared 25 minutes later with a bare shrug of his shoulders in acknowledgement of the delay. Similarly on the morning we were leaving we were told he started at 8.00am ........ Again went to the desk with a query and got the standard "2 minutes" answer. 30 minutes later told he was actually in a meeting with the duty Manager and reception eventually resolved our car return issues for us. We never did see the Concierge again !

Really poor that a 5* Hotel cannot have a Concierge service staffed by at least 2 people.

Room Tip: Avoid the rooms at the front if possible !
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Gary C
Reviewed September 18, 2012

Although you can't tell from the small entrance, the hotel itself is very clean and nicely decorated. I prefer the modern interior of the hotel and rooms to the old-fashioned rooms in the Marriott, Sheraton and many of the other places I've stayed at in Brussels.

One definite plus is the courtyard, which is a perfect place to relax when the sun is out. Just be sure you have some time, because the service here is extremely slow. No such problems with the people at the reception.

I've been to Brussels dozens of times, but this is one of the hotels I keep returning to.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank Mark M
Reviewed September 17, 2012

This was good, indeed very good, but not as good as its sister hotel inLa Defence, Paris. It is in a nice shopping street, it is very swish - everything is nice, everything is clean and well maintained... but.... somehow it did not truly excite in any department. Indeed, sometimes it really disappointed.
I arrived at around 10:00pm (having not eaten since breakfast) went to find food and was told that was impossible at this time of night. I complained and was offered the only available option... peanuts at the bar. I remonstrated as I paid for a drink and the peanuts a while later, to be told I could have had room service - by then all a bit late. Not very 5* service.

That, and being told a coffee machine was in the cupboard by the wardrobe when I was shown to my room on arrival (thinks... relief, decent coffee in the room) - to discover next day that I hadn't been given that grade of room, and a coffee bought to the room (1 cup not a cafetaire or jug) was 9Euros (by the time tax and service had been added it was 12Euros on the check out invoice!!!- All this seemed a bit poor. Surely a cup (at least the first cup should be offered free? - especially when the hotel told me that there was a machine in the room??

If you are charging top rates, which Sofitel do, it should be faultless top notch service, this was very good; but are we honestly saying a 5 star hotel can't knock up an omelette at 10:00pm... or that the staff can't even say "return to your room and order room service" IF they can't tolerate someone eating in their bar. Or a "sorry for misleading you re the coffee, here is one on the house, but after this one they will be x per cup"

Am I being too fussy? Maybe.... if so apologies

2  Thank awoods

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 17, 2012

I stayed in this hotel over 10 years ago but booked again as I had good memories but also because of the reviews on here.

I was not disappointed. We arrived on Eurostar to midi station. My advice is to get a cab from there or the metro. Don't try to walk as the area around the station isn't the nicest.

The doorman met us from the cab and took care of our luggage. We took the steep escalator to the front desk who were very friendly, instantly switching to English when we spoke. We were checked in quickly and given directions to our room.

The room was lovely, big for a city hotel. Very clean and nicely decorated. We overlooked the bar patio area which was a good indication of how warm it was outside! We were not disturbed my any noise when the windows were closed. It was not a problem to have the window closed as the air con was very effective and kept the room from being stuffy.

The bathroom was a good size with a rain shower but no bath. Great toiletries and robes.

The bed was very comfy and huge!

We booked a meal in the hotel as we had been travelling all day and ate on the patio. See separate review but it was good.

The reception team gave us a map and highlighted the main areas to see and the best routes to grand place taking in the views. This was very helpful.

The area the hotel is in is the designer shopping district. It is quieter than the old town but there are some bars and cares about. There is also a cinema which shows original version films with subtitles in the local languages.

It takes about 20 minutes to walk from Louise to grand place. More if you stop to take in the views and take pictures. My advice would be to try a few different routes. There is a good route from the royal place down the steps overlooking the old town.

It is also walkable to the natural history museum and european Parliament area. In fact we walked everywhere all week, except the atomium, wch is outside the city. See separate review - it is worth a visit.

There is a metro and tram at Louise which is an alternative to walking.

The hotel does offer breakfast and has a gym but we didn't use either of these.

We did have a drink in the bar osmosis nights which is quite a trendy rather than cosy bar. The service is as laid back as everywhere in Belgium and so best to avoid if you are in a hurry!

We stayed here for a week and had a great stay. All staff we encountered were friendly and helpful. Checkout was quick, we were offered help with our bags and the doorman got us a cab back to the station asking if we were going for the Eurostar. When we said we were going to Antwerp for a few days before going home he was full of advice and comments.

I can't think of anything negative to say about this hotel.

Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank MrsACJ
Reviewed September 16, 2012

Everything is fine at the exception of the breakfast:

Avertise as a magnifique breafast but the same frozen small viennoiseries proposed can be found in any of the Ibis or Novotel or Pullman of Accor.

Waffles and crepes are already cooked and there is nothing to warm them up at the exception of a micro wave ...

2  Thank chinookParis
Also consider these accommodations in or near Ixelles
Sofitel Brussels Europe
#27 of 199 in Brussels
Made in Louise
Made in Louise
#1 of 15 in Ixelles

Been to Sofitel Brussels Le Louise? Share your experiences!