“Excellent service and convenient location”
Review of Hotel Le Berger

Hotel Le Berger
Ranked #7 of 15 Hotels in Ixelles
Reviewed March 20, 2014

I have to say I was skeptical about the hotel, but an EU summit and prices of traditional business hotel chains left me with little choice. So I ended up booking Le Berger and afterwards I was glad I did.

The hotel is located very near to a metro station with lots of shops nearby. The staff was very welcoming and they never asked me about my room number - they just remembered me straight away, which was really impressive. The atmosphere in the hotel is pretty unique and you'd definitely never get that in a chain hotel.

The breakfast is nothing to marvel at but everything is fresh and good. Fresh juices and espresso felt luxurious. On a negative side, some plates and foods were out of stock and the staff seemed more focused on keeping the tables clean than re-stocking.

Many people have complained about the room size but that wasn't an issue for me. If I was a light sleeper the noise from stairs, other rooms and down stairs would have been an issue (my room was on the first floor). Personally I just liked the small space and music/noises coming softly from the bar.

Travelled alone on business. Stayed for two nights.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled on business

Reviewed March 13, 2014 via mobile

We went with a friend for the weekend. The location of this hotel is amazing since you are nearby to everything. The reception girl was super helpful and kind. The only negative part was the bar of the hotel that was slow. No worries though there are many nice places around to go.

Stayed: March 2014, traveled with friends
Reviewed February 2, 2014

Got here for 1 night before flying off the Belgium.
First of all thus hotel will be not very good for those, who's going to visit Delirium and drink lots of beer here: hotel is quite far (about 1.5-2km) from historical part and I'm not sure that it will be comfortable to return here after couple pints.
Hotel placed in very quiet street, but it looks not too save (some black man on near street tried to offer me something illegal).
Room is very small: only bed and nothing more. No place to put baggage.
Breakfast quite good, but common. And there are no hot food.
Resume: not bad hotel, but quite far from Grand Markt with very small rooms.

Stayed: February 2014, traveled solo
Reviewed January 7, 2014

First time to ever write on trip advisor. Just back from 4 nights with my girlfriend after staying at this hotel. There was €200 taken from my girlfriends suitcase. I went straight to the reception, said what had just happened and was met with an automatic response of "its the first time in 16 years this has happened" Since then i've heard people say theft is most likely to happen on the last night. That when it happened. The worst part is (besides leaving a bitter taste in our mouths from belgium after my xmas present for herslf) was that when i was in reception, i was made to feel like i was making false aqusations. Never again. Save yourselves the bother

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 3, 2014

Dark wood beckons you in from the street. The lobby flows into the bar/restaurant which at night gives off a lively warm vibe. The rooms were average for a small hotel in Europe. I would have liked to stay more than just one night to settle into the relaxing atmosphere.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank Roger C
Reviewed December 29, 2013

I booked a room for 2 people in this hotel on Booking. I arrived in the late evening with a friend in Bruxelles and we reached the ugly street of the hotel. The staff gave me the key and we climbed the narrow wooden stairs. The hotel is very typical but doesn't respect the minimal rules for the fire-escape...
We opened the room and we was shocked about the small space. A very tight bed for 1,5 people, no wardrobe and no place where put the luggages and dresses, a small toilet, and a window opened between the narrow walls where in the past people throw away the urine or the wastes. Anyway it wasn't possible to see natural light. The room was too hot also switching off the radiator. Only internet works properly.
The breakfast cost was too high and we prefered the nice bakeries of the city.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank Pozzo82
Reviewed November 21, 2013

I will try to be objective as possible. This revue is written from my point of view as a business traveler.The hotel is located in the center, close to almost everything with a tube station near by.
It offers a nice lobby , warm atmosphere, with nice sofas ,very good music and friendly reception. I was told it was an old brothel back in the 30,s . I wish it was still one :)
Now lets go to the important points:
1. No telephone in the rooms , plus no one told me that, when checking in. Result i had to go down two times to ask for things. I would not have to gone down , if i had seen the intercommunication box next to the door but then nobody told me anything about it.
2.Rooms , nicely decorated , no doubt but very dark perhaps good for a brothel but not a hotel room. Mine was big enough but i wrote a lot reviews about tiny rooms and i believe it is truth as the hotel over all has a lack of space. For example , if i close the door to my WC my knees would touch the door!!!
3. No wardrobe or so ever for clothes in the room!!!!
4.From the reviews I red , a lot of them say for a rich breakfast by far the best they have ever seen!!!! Guys , don't fool your selves , when i asked the lady serving for two fried eggs , she replied like if i had asked for a strange kamasutra position, that they serve no hot food for breakfast!!!!! Hahahahahaha , slices of cheese , croissants , butter , ham , boiled eggs this is the best breakfast ever???!!! I sat on a table with the dishes of the previous person still there , around me the same was on other tables and nobody cared to take them away.
Summarizing , stuff in the restaurant has not been trained and has nit received any kind of Hospitality education. Their behavior was based on their previous experienced , i have even doubts for this. I had the feeling that i was staying in a house with the people of the house around me and i had to pay for it. A hotel has to offer you at least what you are having at your house ,such as enough light to see in your room , light to distinguish what you are selecting for your breakfast , a telephone to call the reception and say help i am flooding!!!!! :) a wardrobe for your clothes.
Speaking of the price i paid , i don't think it is worth it.
Of course there are people which finds this property very nice , fabulous and other nice words.
Advise for business travelers , don't stay there. There a lot of other options for business hotels of the established hotel brands , no need to give out names you all know. There is also big choice among them from budget ones to high end. For the rest of the travelers , read reviews before you book any kind of hotel , they will be helpful and if you decide to go for it , let me know of your comments , I am curious.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled on business
2  Thank angelo A
Also consider these accommodations in or near Ixelles
Pantone Hotel
Radisson RED Brussels
#2 of 15 in Ixelles
1 mi away
Ibis Brussels Centre Gare Midi

Been to Hotel Le Berger? Share your experiences!