“hostel-like place”

Hotel Beverly Hills
Ranked #10 of 15 Hotels in Ixelles
Reviewed May 10, 2011

The place is VERY basic, really reminded a hostel. We have booked a "large double room" with the bed 180-200 cm. Upon arrival we were directed to the room on the 3rd floor which was quite big... but... it was under the roof, so most of the room area was smth like 1,2 m high... Which actually means that we had to bend each time to get around to save our heads. Then, the bed was actually 1m20 cm. Quite a difference with the description, a? There was no ventilation in the bathroom.. at all... So it was terribly humid and a bit smelly. The only was to make it work was to keep the door open. For two persons we only got 1 small and 1 big towel, 1 tiny peace of soap and 1 shower gel... The breakfast provides very poor choice of cheap food and the pastry is not very fresh, instant coffee in huge pot. Cafe with breakfast and reception in the building about 50 meters away from our entrance (the hotel is situated in two separated buildings). Internet access was not available for my laptop (it was explained that it depends on the laptop model). However I need to note that the owner was quite nice and tried to assist with some requests. So... guess if I would recommend it or stay again (for 200 Euro for the fist night, 150 - for the 2nd and 80 - for the rest). Bingo - never again!!!

• Stayed: May 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Burundustra

Reviewed March 8, 2011

I arrived at the Hotel Beverly Hills on February 25, 2011 after a harrowing flight and even worse trip from the airport. The gentleman at reception was very friendly and helpful. He provided me with a map of Brussels and even gave me the best routes to the sites I wanted to see.

When I got to my room I was struck by how small it was. But, I had booked a single and did not intend to stay in the room except to sleep and bathe. And for those purposes it was more than adequate.

The room was clean, the bed was comfortable, the night-time noise from the street was practically non-existent. The bathroom had a tub and a shower plus a sink and toilet. All the essentials for what I needed.

Incldued with my room was a continental breakfast of juice, croissants, various breads, meats, cheeses and spreads. It was perfect for the way I eat in the morning and provided just enough fuel to get me through my long day of site-seeing.

I would recommend this hotel to single travelers on a budget seeking clean, friendly, and affordable accomodations any day!

• Stayed: February 2011, traveled solo
Reviewed February 14, 2011

Quite a bit further to walk from the metro station than advertised, this hotel is small, not especially clean and it is extremely difficult to sleep with the light from the street (no help to be had from the thin yellow veils). The night and morning attendants are kind and helpful but the manager did not seem to care that we had chosen this hotel specifically for the fitness center advertised in the ad. This fitness room was out of use and I had to spend 20 euros per person at a fitness center which was located at 10-15 min walk. No offer of compensation from the manager although he gave us a box of chocolates, which was a nice gesture.

• Stayed: February 2011, traveled on business
1  Thank Laure005
Reviewed September 26, 2010

We stayed here for 1 night a few weeks ago. It is average, clean enough though. It was ok enough for a short stay.

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 3, 2010

Brussels is an expensive city so this place is a real bargain. For €43 I got a fair sized single room with a bath and breakfast. Admittedly, the room was in an annex 50 m from the main hotel but for the price that was fine. The annex had a lift and a security door so I felt quite safe. The hotel was in a quiet street but close to attractions and public transport links, and not fare from the city centre.

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled solo
Reviewed August 17, 2010

Hotel Beverly Hills was a centrally located, cute hotel offering a great value for money.

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled solo
Reviewed May 6, 2010

I wish there was a rating option for the hotel staff because even though I don't rate the hotel well on the listed categories, the staff more than made up for anything I could fault.

My experience began before I even arrived at the hotel. I generated my booking through Priceline and was well aware of the "no cancellation or change" policy. However, by contacting the hotel directly, I found the staff to be quite accommodating for my impromptu schedule change. Moreover, they were always pleasant and professional when responding to the multiple worried emails I sent. See, I was terrified I would arrive and find myself without a room since I technically had no confirmation code for my requested dates... But as I said, the staff proved friendly and forthcoming each time I emailed.

When I arrived, I further needed the room even earlier than anticipated due to a flight change. I was offered a complimentary breakfast and then let into my room ridiculously early with no trouble... they really were so wonderful. Each time I contacted the front desk, whether to get internet help, ask directions, or request sightseeing and logistical recommendations, I was greeted kindly and felt taken care of.

Unfortunately, however, I must otherwise rate this hotel as only average. Without the fabulous staff, I would be less inclined to return simply because the hotel itself was nothing extraordinary.

My room was a good size for this typical European city building, but had little in the way of decorations.

The bathroom, while containing all the necessities, had no flair. The bed was hard. The pillows were thin. The closet smelled TERRIBLE and I refused to keep clothing in it. The walls were thin enough for me to feel like my neighbor's TV was in my own room. The curtains were not thick enough to block all the evening sunlight, so my jet-lagged brain had trouble sleeping.

My particular room was on the second floor right over the lobby. Because it was warm out, and without A/C, I would have liked to leave the window open, but I quickly found the street corner and constant traffic to be too loud for sleep. I was left in a stuffy room or a noisy room, and I still haven't decided which was worse.

Other notes: the hotel is walking distance to multiple shopping areas. I enjoyed walking around, but it's also only two blocks to a taxi stand if you need one. There were a few parks nearby, too, with waffle trucks and ice cream. There is a market down a short hill, in a busy circle, so you can easily buy fresh food to keep in your room if desired. My room had a small fridge, so that worked well. There were other shops: chocolates, toys, clothes, etc - anything you could want.

The hotel restaurant only served breakfast to my knowledge, and it was very good buffet style food. Fresh breads, meats, cheeses, spreads, yogurts, all the standard drink offerings, etc. I did see a paper in the room mentioning that breakfast could be delivered, but I never saw mention of lunch or dinner, not that I asked.

As I said, I really felt the staff balanced many of my concerns because they really were just so wonderful. Always smiling and gracious, they definitely made my stay fabulous :)

• Stayed: April 2010, traveled on business
Also consider these accommodations in or near Ixelles
Pantone Hotel
Hotel Opera Bruxelles
Hotel Opera Bruxelles
#113 of 199 in Brussels
Thon Hotel Bristol Stephanie

Been to Hotel Beverly Hills? Share your experiences!