“for food lovers”

Cuisines: French
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed February 26, 2013

I almost cancelled my reservation because of the bad reviews on tip advisor. But i had been once before and so thought i would take a chance. I am so glad i did. The experience was great, the place is fun the staff friindly and the experience is a true delight. Unusual its true and perhaps not for every one, but the food is chosen perfectly, combinations you would never imagine, and very fresh ingredients. It has a Japanese feel and certainly the chef goes out of his way to make his life complicated but the result is something different - something i will remember for a long time among all the other resterants that blurr into one over time. Its a fixed menu but one of my friends doesn't eat shell fish, we hadn't told them before hand but there was no problem and a delicious replacement was prepared to replace the oyster in squid ink which was visual as well as tasty and the "couteau" with mushrroms. We then had squid with beetroot and black olives, ray and then the most amazing duck, female duck which was devine, hardly cooked at all so as with the other courses this is a place for people who are really interested in food - one of my friends was thinking they were still a little hungry until the duck came as the portions are small but since you have so many courses thats a good thing. And there were 2 deserts both fabulous. If you choose the wines that go with the menu it will set you back 33 euros but the wines are unusual and really good and they don't stint. My friends are serious wine and food lovers who eat around the world and they were happy. A possible down side is the long wait between courses at the beginning as i think the chef tries to prepare the same course for several tables at once

1  Thank amourdevie

Reviewed November 15, 2012

We are a group of friends which likes to discover new, special and interesting places to eat in Brussels. We are quite demanding, and le Neptune seemed to be a very good choice. The place itself is very special, lovely lights, nicely set tables. Very promissing...until the food was served. OK, the policy of the house is to serve a fixed menue (49 EUR, 85 with suggested wines) with minimalistic plates, which is fine, BUT then the food has to be flawless and something to rock your palat. In this case it was really the contrary. No value for the price!!! I really don't recommend anyone to waste money in this place. What on earth was gault&millau thinking.

See below for detailed comments on the November menu.

The first dish of the fixed menue was an oyster, very small but a very nice and particular taste. Everything still looked very promissing.
Second dish, 6h coocked leak and then grilled with a mousseline sauce: looked nice, but no taste whatsoever. No spices, no salt. I guess all the taset was gone during 6h cooking.
Third dish: a tiny piece of octopus, again coocked for 6h, hard like a rock, needed a 10 min chew before it could be swollowed. Disaster.
Fourth dish: lotte with some herbs. Not coocked, it still had blood at the side!!! (a terrible mistake), not salty, no spices. Disapointment.
Fifth dish: civet de marcasin. Despite the fact it was a civet, the meet was very dry (well these 2 cubic centimeters of meet that was in the dish), none of the vegetables were coocked. The sauce was nice, though, and lovely flavoured.
Desser No1: tarte aux poires: "Ni sucrée ni salée", as explained by the waiter. I would also add, "ni cuit non plus". In addition, also the pastry was not well baked. Another disapointment.
Dessert No2: this was the highlight of bad dishes: Sorbet de riz was absolutely awful. I can eat everything but this was really inedible.

We had two bottles of white wine, the first one suggested by the waiter was a very nice Savoie blanc, Le P'tit canon, 30 EUR; the second, CouCou, sémillon/sauviognon de Sud Oues, very mediocre for 48 EUR!!! (on internet it costs 19).

Not worth, though we had a good laugh while criticising the food and eating lots of bred which was at the end of the day the best dish :-)

1  Thank Marko1976
Reviewed October 15, 2012 via mobile

After reading a few articles about the concept and the restaurant our expectations was quite high. We hoped to find that fun dining concept experienced in several good restaurants in Paris. The evening started well. Neptune is a very intimate and nice restaurant. The first dish, oysters, were great, however, we only got one rather small oyster each. The following dish, a poulpe marine, was tasteful as well. Both the two first dishes combined very well with the recommended wine. At this stage we were both thinking this would become our new favourite resto in Brussels, maybe myself being a little bit more enthusiastic than my girlfriend. But then we experienced a sudden change in the taste of the food. The light and fresh flavours from the first dished changed into harsh and heavy. This is of course not a problem if the food still tastes well. Unfortunately it didn't. Usually I'm a big fan of natural wines from a nearby wine shop, but the wine Neptune suggested from the very same wine shop was not a good choice. A very full taste of blackberries, even though a rather light wine, just made the flavours of the food even more confusing. Desserts were decent, however they served my girlfriend a dish containing nuts, even though we let them know she's allergic to nuts both when we reserved the table and when we entered the restaurant. An unforgivable mistake if you're serious about your running a decent restaurant. However, the dish containing nuts was changed for a cheese platter. What you should expect when the staff makes an error. However, what we did not expect was that they added the cheese platter on the bill. So to sum up: We really really wanted this resto to be great, and the potential is there. However, they screwed up both when it came to food, wines and service. Unfortunately. For 78 euros a head (set food and wine menu) you'd expect way better! For the cheese platter you should add an extra 12 euros. I want to return to check out how this has evolved in a year or so, but for that to happen I have to read some very good reviews.

Reviewed September 21, 2012

One small tiny little shrimp as a starter!!!? I have never been so cheated in a restaurant. Try's too hard to be artistic. Maybe it's editable art. Avoid!

1  Thank Ricardo F
Reviewed June 24, 2012

Perhaps one of the worst meals I have ever had. €40 per head for a set menu, no choice, for what I can only describe an incredible selection of random flavours.
Amuse bouche - one mushroom in a watery broth of white and red beetroot, followed by smoked eel slime in an unidentifiable green sludge with again white and red beetroot, then half an oyster covered in green sesame goo, then something which was supposed to be herring (but had no taste), then one fried spinach leaf with an inch square of hake, and to finish, a miniscule strawberry tart with a white bean sorbet! Wines start at €33/bottle
We left hungry - I think they are having a joke at the customers' expense - this really is emperor's new clothes - the place was full!

2  Thank AitchX