“Good hotel, but a little out of the way.”

Renaissance Brussels Hotel
Ranked #6 of 15 Hotels in Ixelles
Reviewed April 1, 2009

I stayed at the Renaissance Brussels last fall on a layover while going to Africa. I took the airport express bus to the city center. The hotel is just a couple of short blocks away, which makes getting to and from the airport very convenient. Once I got there (around 9 am), I asked about an early check-in. The clerks looked at me like I must have been crazy. Needless to say, I had to leave my bags with the porter and keep myself busy until afternoon. So, I embarked on a tour of Brussels. This is when I learned just how far away from the center of town the Renaissance actually is. It look a good 20 minutes or so to reach the more touristy sites. I will say, however, that the hotel is perfectly located for access to the EU quarter.

Once I checked in, I found a very standard Marriott type room. It was clean, the furnishings were all very new & the bed was very comfortable. My only complaint was cost of internet access. Seriously, how can it be so affordable for individuals and businesses, yet so expensive for hotels?!

My stay at the Renaissance was very good and the hotel is convenient for airport & EU access, but a little more difficult for the tourist sites.

• Stayed: September 2008, traveled solo
Write a ReviewReviews (1,613)

Reviewed March 26, 2009

I visited the Renaissance in February with my wife, as part of our honeymoon. After reading the reviews, I decided to book the Renaissance since it was quite cheap. I was not dissapointed!

The hotel is a minute walk away from the European Parliament. Midwek it is lively but on the weekends it is very quiet. Most shops around are closed, but you are only 5 minute drive or 20 minute walk from the city centre.

The staff were polite and attentive. They could provide the service without being in your way. Reception staff were very helpful. Breakfast was great, with a big selection of hot and cold food, pastries, fruit and dairy; I would suggest you opt for a B&B rate. The room we stayed (junior suite) was large clean and comfortable.

I would like to say a special Thank You to Laura, who looked after us great!

Overall a very pleasurable experience.

2  Thank Yiorgos_Manesis
Reviewed March 24, 2009

Stayed here for 3 nights on holiday with my wife. The hotel is located about 10 min from the city center by metro. There is also a bus that goes to the center. It is down the street from the European Union Parliament. This hotel hosts a lot of business and poltical clientele so the standards are high overall. It is fairly new.

I though the location was good overall. It had the quietness that one wants at night to rest but around the hotel there are several food shops and restaurants. The check-in went very smoothly even though we arrived early. The lobby is not too large or impressive but well kept. The restaurant was located to the side where breakfast was served. The overall quality of food was good but the selection was not that great. The waffles were great as was the bread. The coffee was a bit too strong.

The room was large and nice. One queen bed, chair, desk, TV, and table. The bathroom was of good size with good water pressure. The bed was very comfortable which was key after a day of walking around. They have a pool, sauna, and work-out center which were very good. Large heated pool and full fitness center. Very nice.

Service was good overall and the people were nice and helpful. But no one seems to know how much a taxi to the airport costs? The first person said 30-35 Euros, secons dais 20-25 Euros. Total cost was 45 Euros. I just assumed they would have a better idea of this or have a flat rate that could be charged to the room.

• Stayed: March 2009, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Bubakar
Reviewed March 7, 2009

I usually stay here on regular trips to Brussels. It has its faults and on a couple of occasions I've vowed never to come back eg when they couldn't book me in for over an hour one evening due to a computer failure. However it's generally OK. If you get the more expensive business room rate you can eat snacks + wine/drinks for free early evening which is good if you don't want a full meal. However the free breakfast was discontinued on my last visit. Rooms are standard business ones - ask for a quiet one not facing the road. At breakfast (18 - 25 euro) make sure your bill only has the lower cost continental charge if that's what you have - they sometimes slip the higher charge on in the hope you won't notice. This is a better option than the SAS radisson EU which is opposite - that is more expensive, has a cramped breakfast room / restaurant and the staff aren't as pleasant.

Stayed: March 2009, traveled on business
Reviewed February 27, 2009

The hotel is nice, great room, good sized, good bathroom, furniture, and all you expect from a Renaissance. The location is across the street from a train station. I think it is more convenient if you are on business than visiting tourist attractions, as you need to take the train anywhere. The surroundings are nice, some restaurants and a mini market, but it is quite far from the main attractions. They do have a swimming pool and a nice fitness center, if you do not mind the rude staff that gives you towels. I gave up, because I am not on vacations to deal with rude people. Made a complaint in the lobby and never heard a comment back or apologies. Also they tried to charge me for breakfast I did not have. In summary, the hotel is good, my experience was average.

• Stayed: May 2008, traveled as a couple
1  Thank NapsRJ
Reviewed February 19, 2009

I stayed at Renaissance Hotel Brussels on Valentine’s Day weekend with my girlfriend. After reading numerous good reviews of the hotel, I went ahead and booked the trip but once there I was very disappointed with the hotel, especially the service.

First of all when we arrived, the hotel didn’t have our reservation down which is already bad enough but then they printed out details that I had to check over and sign and then turned out that they weren’t even my details. Once we had that sorted, we dropped off our bags upstairs and found that the hotel was not that modern if you compare it to the downstairs bar / restaurant which is nicely fitted out.

Service is very poor. I had booked to surprise my girlfriend with a special arrangement booked though the concierge but I never received a confirmation from them to state that it was going ahead. I rang and emailed them several times to find out but never received an answer from them, which I felt was just not good enough. This also got me stressed out on a trip which should be about relaxing. The room service takes forever, we ordered a few times and every time there was something missing off our order. We ordered a bottle of wine and received two cokes instead, how do you mix that up?

The highlights would be that the bed was very comfortable, breakfast at extra charge is superb, such a wide choice and definitely worth it! The health club facilities are fantastic with a gym, swimming pool and a Jacuzzi (which sadly was not working the whole trip). The location is also great and only a 20 minute walk to the centre.

Overall the facilities are good, shame the service wasn't any good.

2  Thank texasdave85
Reviewed February 16, 2009

We booked a 2 night stay on the Marriott website with an 'escape' dinner package (room+breakfast+parking+dinner) at the Renaissance Hotel where we had stayed before (bed and breakfast only) and which had been clean, comfortable and with a very good standard of service. The description we saw on the website implied (without explicitly stating) a meal each night, just as breakfast is included each morning. However, when we arrived we were given a voucher for just one meal on the first night. As soon as I realized, I called reception and was informed that this was correct - one night only. Very disappointing as we had taken this package to avoid having to run around looking for a restaurant in the evening.

The deal just didn't seem to add up. Without dinner, the same stay was 109 euros, but with dinner 156 in total per night and the voucher indicated that we could choose à la carte up to a value of 29 euros. So, a slight saving when booking the package compared to a separate purchase of each element, but completely lost if we were allowed a meal for only one evening of the stay. When I went down to reception, the employee was unable to give an answer, and his colleague told me that the deal was always only for one night. A third opinion came from a person passing by at the time I took to be the duty manager who said it was in fact okay for 2 nights and a voucher for the second would not even be necessary. If there were any problems, I would only have to mention his name. I thanked him, but expressed surprise that no-one seemed to know what was included in a simple package. I was told that there were a lot of deals to keep track of.

Relieved, we had dinner and signed a bill just for the drinks (which were not part of the package). The second night a different manager was on duty at reception and at the restaurant. They were of course unaware of anything from the previous night and the restaurant manager wanted a voucher which we did not have. He was also unsure if our package was valid for the set menu as it was a special Valentine's menu. I left the restaurant to check at reception. This time the receptionist expressed the same doubts but called a number (a Marriott office?) to check on the deal. Yes, it was a meal for two nights (Valentine's or not), but the rate should have been different. Back in the restaurant the manager ended up consulting another manager and printing a bill which included the price of the meal. I refused to sign it off as it was not an extra. He told me everything would be fine, but that we would have to sign the bill. I still refused, as he was unable to explain why the procedure for billing on the previous night (extras only) had been changed to include the actual meal. He offered to attach his business card to the bill as some kind of guarantee. I asked him if he would be on duty when we came to check out. The answer was 'no' and so I refused to sign, and the hotel did not charge for the mineral water we had with the meal, and also offered us a voucher for a complimentary drink at the bar.

Back in the room, the TV showed that the amount for the meal had been charged, removed and then charged again. Another phone call to reception to be told it would be corrected during the night. The following morning we found the bill slipped under the door for the incorrect amount including the meal. The TV screen still showed the wrong amount too. I once again went to reception. I was immediately informed it was an error and the amount was removed. As we were checking out I asked to fill in a customer satisfaction survey only to be told that there were 'none here'.

All in all a very disappointing Valentine's weekend stay at the Renaissance Brussels. The staff were invariably polite and the service was generally very good, but our stay was blighted by the stress from the uncertainty surrounding what has to be a pretty ordinary type of reservation. I wouldn't quibble with there being a small supplement on Valentine's night for a special menu, but this should be clear from the outset. Why are staff uninformed? Why do customers get incorrect information? Why are billing procedures different from one night/manager to the next? Why does the TV information screen display the wrong information? Why was a bill issued for what had already been identified as a mistake? Why does the customer have to spend his 'romantic' weekend trying to sort out the ensuing mess? And why weren't there any customer satisfaction surveys available at the hotel reception? Not really what you would expect from the Marriott chain and a thoroughly unpleasant experience.

1  Thank loake
Also consider these accommodations in or near Ixelles
Radisson RED Brussels
Brussels Marriott Hotel Grand Place
0 mi away
Marriott Executive Apartments Brussels, European Quarter
NH Collection Brussels Centre

Been to Renaissance Brussels Hotel? Share your experiences!