“Good stay but it's not what it used to be...”

Renaissance Brussels Hotel
Ranked #6 of 16 Hotels in Ixelles
Antwerp, Belgium
“Good stay but it's not what it used to be...”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 9, 2014

Stayed again last weekend for 1 night including breakfast. We have slept here often over the last 4-5 years so it's easy to compare it to what it used to be.
The hotel was fully booked (because of the long weekend) so check in was a bit slower than usual and an early check in wasn't possible (we were asked to come back at 3 pm).
I requested a king bed (the queen size beds in most rooms are a bit small to our liking) and that is what we got so no complaints there. The hotel often sells rooms at very low prices during the weekends so it's often very busy, especially during breakfast. This was definitely the case on sunday morning! Very very busy and many items weren't replenished in time (the staff was working hard though!). I must say that we were a bit dissapointed with what was on offer compared to our previous stays: no more smoked salmon, no more self-service waffle machine, no more cheese platter (only cheese slices) etc. I do understand that people pay lower prices during the weekends but I think that a hotel should stay consistent in what they offer, regardless of the amount of money that people have paid.
The swimming pool is still a nice touch, as is the gym and sauna; Unfortunately parking isn't free anymore during the weekends (but it's free 2 streets away on saturdays and sundays).
The lobby has changed since our last visit (it had those nice, colorful contemporary furnishings which were now replaced by some slightly shabby looking black leather sofas??
The lobby bar also looks more like a Starbucks now (with Starbucks logos everywhere!), not very stylish I'm afraid.
The hotel is still ok if you can get a decent price (we will most probably return in the future) but the Brussels hotel market is changing rapidly lately so if there are other deals in other hotels, we might try those first...

• Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (161)
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Moscow, Russia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 6, 2014

Pros and cons:

nice location, area around might be a little bit dirty on weekends, but it's hardly hotel's fault and you wouldn't probably notice that if you're not really looking, but after visiting the center of Brussels, I was glad I've booked in this hotel, it was very loudly and crowdy, so I was pleased to stay a little bit off city center where it was quiet and peaceful (at least on weekends)

Brussels-Luxembourg railway station is just a couple minutes of walking from here and you can reach almost any point not only in Belgium from the station, maybe with a change over Brusses-Nord or Brussels-Central stations, but my route was to Luxembourg and there are hourly direct connections to the named city from the station; if you travel from the airport though a walking distance is not unreachable, but may take up to 20 minutes (if you know where to go, of course) from Brussels-Central

the staff was friendly, professional and helpful, and although early check-in was requested, but didn't happen, they've tried to do everything they could to give me a room as fast as it's possible, on my arrival there were no free rooms, but pre-check-in was made anyway, so at least some time was saved

Anything negative I can say about the hotel have nothing to do with the hotel itself, but Marriott's rules, unfortunately.

no mini bar; it's been already mentioned by other reviewers of Marriott's hotels, so nothing to add, except at least they had special what-to-do printed message for those who keep looking for a mini bar, so I've been served as soon as it was possible and finally got what I've been looking for

one of the card readers in one of the elevators (left one as I remember) doesn't work, other one works perfectly, but needless to say that not only me, but few other people as well who wasn't aware of that, were trying to use the key in that unworking device, it always makes you think that something wrong with your key or you just doing something wrong

security deposit; it's been already paid back to me, but at my room price the security deposit was about 40%, a little bit too much, I think, none of my business to say it's a out-of-date rule, but a guest should be notified of such deposit in confirmation message (it is not now)

Overall, rooms are clean, WiFi (not free), TV channels, breakfast and everything else was just fine, including an amazing book 'Best of Belgium' near the bed. If you're looking for a nice place to stay in that Europe area (a lot of EU buildings around), it's probably one of the best choices.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled solo
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 5, 2014

We stayed here over a long weekend and really liked the hotel. It's not centrally located for sightseeing in Brussels, but we enjoyed the 15-20 minute walk and the one time we were too tired to walk back we caught the bus and were back at the hotel in less than 10 minutes. There are also several restaurants and cafes within a block or so of the hotel.

The hotel is nice and we made good use of the indoor pool. The fitness center is a bit better equipped than most hotel gyms. Only complaint is that you have to pay for Wi-Fi in the sleeping rooms and the free network that is available in the lobby is slow.

The sleeping rooms are quiet and prettty standard for a hotel of this class - the beds were quite comfortable.

This was our second trip to Brussels and I would definitely stay at this hotel again.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled with family
Asyut, Egypt
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 3, 2014

Central location near the parliament. The hotel is ok , good service, breakfast was very nice. They have free wifi in lobby only. The price is good. Train station close to the hotel. Taxis easily accessible from the square.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled on business
Prague, Czech Republic
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 3, 2014

I stay here frequently and i have done so over a decade.

It's a fair trek (about 15 minutes) from the Center (Grand Place) but the beauty of the Area is that it is very quiet and their Rooms are spacious than Hotels that are situated in the center.

Finally they are on top of their game and now nothing but the BEST.

Room Tip: Pay a little bit extra for an upgrade to a Junior Suite of a Suite
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled solo
Preston, England
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 31, 2014 via mobile

We stayed here as a family whilst my husband was in Brussels for business. I wouldn't rush to return to Brussels and would consider other hotel options if I were to visit again.
The location is close to the European Parliament, nice photo opportunity but other than that it's a little bit further away from some of the other tourist sites. That said we were still able to walk to the main square in about 15 minutes.
Positives for the hotel include spacious rooms, we stayed in a junior suite and had plenty of space for a travel cot and the pull out sofa bed. The pool was lovely and easily accessible within the hotel-my son made good use of this facility. Some members of staff were very friendly and helpful-these included reception, housekeeping and the chap at the tourist desk. The duty manager was also very friendly and polite.
A few areas for improvement however, firstly wifi-major annoyance for both business and leisure travellers. In this day and age it is unacceptable to not offer this facility free of charge in rooms. I actually think that it should become a pre-requisite of the hotel star system, if it were you would soon see all the 4 and 5 star places sorting out their act. I could accept a nominal fee for using wifi in the rooms and yes technically speaking we could have allowed a business charge for wifi but I refuse to be ripped off with ridiculous charges, especially when staying in a suite! The service was offered free in the lobby areas and even that service was painfully slow. From checking important business emails right through to my son connecting on his iPad like it or not wifi is a fundamental part of everyday life-just as important as having a kettle in the rooms, decent hotels should acknowledge this. The check-in process seemed painfully long, I have stayed in many hotels and appreciate that each has their own protocols but the amount of little slips the poor guy at the desk had to fill in was just silly! The swipe of a credit card should suffice!! Some staff members seemed indifferent and even arrogant with their service, perhaps this is because we are English and have that immediate expectation that everyone will speak our language, I don't know but especially in the restaurant the staff seemed almost annoyed to be asked for things. A smile costs nothing! One member of staff simply blanked me when I asked for a highchair I actually wondered if he had heard me but he did appear with one and shoved it my way! Breakfast was included but other than the continental aspects the hot breakfast isn't worth bothering with.

Stayed May 2014, traveled on business
1 Thank samde
Elodie B, Guest Relations Manager at Renaissance Brussels Hotel, responded to this review, June 3, 2014
We were delighted to have you stay at the Renaissance hotel for your recent stay in Brussels. We would like to thank you for your lovely comments regarding our friendly staff members and our spacious rooms. We are glad to hear that you took advantage of our swimming pool. We have taken note of your comemnts mentioned and will ensure to pass them to the managers of the concerned departments. We sincerly hope to have the pelasure of welcoming you back and exceeding your expectations!
Wicklow
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 31, 2014

Having recently enjoyed a very pleasant stay in a London Marriott we decided to give this one a go whilst in Brussels. We stayed for 2 nights. The hotel is in Ixelles which is about 30 minutes walk from the Grand Place. The room was comfortable and clean. Reception and concierge staff were extremely helpful with travel directions, recommendations etc. The breakfast was quite good with a variety of cheses, meats, fruit etc, as well as a cooked option.
One small negative comment - which I have also seen in another recent review - was that tea and coffee used was not replaced when the room was serviced. Otherwise a pleasant stay.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Ixelles
Radisson RED Brussels
Thon Hotel EU
Thon Hotel EU
#14 of 199 in Brussels
4.5 of 5 bubbles 1,404 reviews

Been to Renaissance Brussels Hotel? Share your experiences!