“Cannot put "good" therefore will choose average”

Renaissance Brussels Hotel
Ranked #5 of 15 Hotels in Ixelles
Reviewed February 18, 2013

Lets be honest. I cannot complain of the service and the hotel facilities as we do have all we need for a short stay. Yes we stayed for a 3 days and 2 nights at the hotel. And true the cost/ quality result is positive. I have asked for a room at top level and giving on the garden. I had it and was for no noise.
Situation? not going to complain on that also. True we are a bit off-centered. But the hotel has all necessary connections: Train from the Luxembourg station that can bring you to all main train stations in the city. Buses 95, 38,84 that do cover all the areas you are looking for a visit. And within 8 min of walk you can catch the metro or underground.
Services? ask and they will serve at their best. As soon as we were in the room we wanted to open the window. As any hotel it was locked. We asked for, and they did.
The concierge teams were perfect in helping... prefer to ask the old one ;) they know the behavior to have with clients. Breakfast service. nothing to complain of, a perfect US and European (and north European) breakfast style. As usual for any strong coffee like I want.... forget... and ask directly to the waiter for a special one.
so why just "good"? e.g. small details.. like the mattress.. was to soft for us. Under the bath tube along the little band.... tracks of old blood or red painting. But really looked like blood... :) in the bathroom, you had really the strict necessary compare to other hotels or hotels chains. When you look at details you can see that the hotel needs a good renovation, going to the swimming pool, look at the roof and you will see water leaks. On the walls in the hallway going to it, tracks of old furniture.
Conclusion: I do recommend that hotel for the cost/ quality relation.

Room Tip: Do it online with the Marriott system you can choose few options. e.g. Like type of room, pillows ty...
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
Elodie B, Guest Relations Manager at Renaissance Brussels Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded March 8, 2013

Thank you for your comments regarding your recent stay with us at the Renaissance Hotel Brussels. We strive to achieve perfection for every guest and provide the highest standard of service. I would like to thank you for your lovely comments shared concerning our ambassadors always willing to serve at their best and our Navigator team being helpful. This is the Marriott service we strive to provide. I would like to apologize for the fact that your room was not prepared up to Marriott standard as you found some red stains which looked like blood, this is absolutely not the service we so strive to provide. Please rest assure that we will pass your comments to the concerned departments. We look forward in exceeding your expectations during your next stay with us.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,641)

Reviewed February 15, 2013

I stayed there one week. Staff was helpfull and friendly. Room was great. Big, lots of space.
Hotel location is not veyr close to touristic areas, but still it's easy to get there with public transport. Very-very good breakfast. Here I would put 5+.
what I didn't like about it: WiFi was available only in the lobby. In rooms you have to use cable. Feels a bit like stone age. Isn't it? I guess most of guests in the hotel are busines travellers. So I'm sure that WiFi in rooms would be appreciated. Hotel is quite expensive, yet I understood that in most of cases room rates didn't include internet. Come on, for these 150-300 eur per room, I think internet could be included

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank Kroliksweden

Many thanks for sharing your comments about your recent stay at the Renaissance Brussels Hotel. We would like to thank you for your lovely comments about the spacious and comfortable rooms and our helpful staff. We are happy to hear that you enjoyed our vast selection of American breakfast. The Renaissance Brussels Hotel is located in the European Quarter, next to the Place du Luxembourg where indeed there are great transport links to the touristic areas form the Square Luxembourg, a 2 minute walk. In the rooms there is indeed a cable to connect to the internet but also Wi-Fi is provided, where you will find one hour free per day for every guest. I apologize if this was not explained correctly. Once again thank you for choosing to stay with us and I hope to welcome you back in the future.

Reviewed February 15, 2013

Nice hotel, great beds, also good prices if you have the loyalty programme of Marriott. One negative thing is that it is quite far from Bxl centre (but by taxi from Gare central it is around 10 EUR). But, if you want a nice, calm hotel with gym and spa (last time, swimming pool was so cold, grrr), take it. What I love is their breakfast :)

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled with friends

Thank you for choosing the Renaissance Hotel for your recent stay in Brussels. We greatly appreciate your positive comments regarding our renowned Marriott beddings and our vast selection for our breakfast. We apologize for the fact that the swimming pool was too cold but will ensure to pass the comments on to the concerned departments. We look forward to welcoming you back soon!

Reviewed February 14, 2013

While this hotel is not located near the touristic Grande Place it is perfectly located to reach the metro and my Office.

The hotel is very functional (even if the stairs are a bit of a surprise), and the breakfast buffet is very nice. I am not a huge fan of the restaurant for dinner but the staff is friendly and accommodating and they have my favourite smoked salmon on a bagel for breakfast.

Check-in is always fast and efficient and 90% of the time they have one of my favourite rooms available but be aware showing up before noon and expecting to have the room ready is hit and miss.

The rooms are functional and very comfortable and the beds in my opinion are great (always sleep well in them)

Room Tip: Stay on the lounge side as the closet layout is much smarter/better.
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled on business

Thank you for staying with us at the Renaissance Brussels Hotel and for taking the time to share your experience with us. We are very pleased to hear that we exceeded your expectations during your stay mainly with our vast choice of breakfast buffet including your favorite salmon bagel and our divine Marriott beddings. Thank you for your lovely comments shared about our friendly and accommodating staff. Our guaranteed check-in time is 3pm however; we do our best to accommodate early arrivals always depending on our availability. Please come visit us again next time you will be in Brussels!

Reviewed February 11, 2013

Staid for 2 nights again last weekend (our 5th or 6th time at the hotel). We still like the hotel as it is very convenient : free parking on weekends, contemporary, decent breakfast, nice walk to the city centre (we like the quiet location and always walk everywhere if weather allows it), decent pool and (slightly dated) sauna.
Unfortunately NO recognition of gold rewards status (the lounge is closed during weekends so I didn't bother but still...) and untill today we are still waiting for the pancakes and fried eggs that we ordered from the waitress during the chaotic sunday breakfast...

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Delectatio

Thank you for choosing to stay with us again at the Renaissance Brussels Hotel and taking the time to share your feedback with us. I am pleased to hear that the location of our hotel is convenient for your trip. We take great pride in welcoming elite members to our hotel and I am dismayed that you did not feel you were recognized as a Gold Marriott Rewards Member. Our Club Lounge is closed on the weekends however elite guests can enjoy a full American breakfast in our Parnasse restaurant. I would like to apologize for the inconveniences caused in the breakfast room and that your order never did arrive. This is not the Marriott service we strive to provide. Please rest assure that we will pass your comments on to the concerned department. Feedback from our guests is a very important tool for us as it enables us to pinpoint our weak areas and to improve accordingly. We look forward to welcoming you back to the Renaissance Brussels Hotel and exceeded your expectations in the future

Reviewed February 9, 2013

What is wrong with this hotel ??? I stay there often, though this time was a huge disappointment ! After waiting at the check in for 15 minutes, finally I got my check in. I am a long time Marriott Platinum member and usually Marriott treats me well. Though not this time at Renaissance : a room next to the elevators. Probably the worst room in the whole hotel ! I have it written in my profile : a room as far as possible from the elevators. Though, the check in chap with very artificial friendliness clearly misinterpreted it...

On top of that, Marriott never put the nights and points on my account. The only way to do it, is sending the invoice and go through all the cumbersome admin. Marriott : I reserved through your website !!! And you cannot add my nights and points ???

A very disappointing stay of a loyal Renaissance Brussels customer.

Room Tip: Make sure you avoid the rooms close to the elevator as you risk to have a lot of noise of nightlife...
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled on business
3  Thank Tk100964
Reviewed February 5, 2013 via mobile

Checked in at the Renaissance and wish I could remember the name of the young girl who checked us in as she was so helpful!! The hotel is what you would expect of a Mariott and is clean well maintained and staff all very efficient and friendly. We didn't spend much time in the hotel other than for sleeping so can't comment on food/bar etc. We used the pool on our last morning and found that sauna etc were out of order from previous reviews this seems to have been the case for a while which is disappointing for such a large chain hotel.
The rooms are lovely and beds comfy if a little soft but that's personal preference! The bathrooms are small but all the facilities and toiletries you require the only fault was a less than powerful shower but again this is personal preference!
Brussels itself is beautiful and Grand Place is a must... Try Aroma Cafe in Grand Place for an excellent hot chocolate!
If I was staying again I would stay closer to the centre but only because of wanting to be close to sights and a bit more nightlife and no reflection on hotel... If on business for EU Parliament the hotel is perfect as it is right next door!!
Overall really enjoyed our stay and would recommend.

• Stayed: February 2013
Elodie B, Guest Relations Manager at Renaissance Brussels Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded February 10, 2013

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with us and for choosing Renaissance hotel. We are glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay in Brussels. Thank you for your lovely comments regarding our rooms and facilities provided. We are dismayed to hear that the sauna was out of order during you stay however am glad you had the opportunity to use our swimming pool. Thank you for your useful tip on Aroma Café in the Grand Place, this will be useful for any future discoverers. We look forward to exceeding your expectations again at the Renaissance Brussels hotel.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Ixelles
Radisson RED Brussels
Hotel Metropole
#69 of 198 in Brussels
Pullman Brussels Centre Midi Hotel
Brussels Marriott Hotel Grand Place

Been to Renaissance Brussels Hotel? Share your experiences!