“Brussels - if you have never been you might be surprised”

Renaissance Brussels Hotel
Ranked #6 of 15 Hotels in Ixelles
Reviewed November 4, 2012

This is yet another 'favourite' hotel and city and, like many others, have been there several times. The hotel rooms have been upgraded and are even better than before. We always had a wonderful suite when we went (rooms ending with 08) but have stayed in the standard room the last 2 or 3 times, which is ok but not as good as the suites.

Service is ok but not exceptional, apart from 'Joe', THE concierge to see for just about any help you need at all - a fantastic guy, with a beautiful family. An example of their bad service is the last time we stayed I went down to reception at around 9:15pm to get a coffee and was told at the bar that 'the coffee machine had been cleaned and coffee was no longer available!

This was then followed up, when I went to reception to complain, by the receptionist pointing out that I could always make coffee in the room myself. I promply went out of the hotel and went to the Radisson Blu hotel, which is just round the corner, and received a warm welcome from the barman and a great cup of espresso (with biscuits) in a nice lounge.

Come on Marriott group - what are you doing?

Brussels is a very small city and after seeing the 'Grand Place' a few times is a bit samey, but with the Belgium beers, food and chocolates we still love it. If you go by Eurostar it is just a few short train rides and a small walk to the hotel, and if you go by car it always has underground parking spaces - so very simple.

There is a lively square near the hotel with some very lively bars in the early evening for a bit of life - it is after all right next to the European Parliament - and about a 30 minute walk to the city centre through a park which is very nice. You can of course get a cab or bus from the square if you want to.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
Elodie B, Guest Relations Manager at Renaissance Brussels Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded November 7, 2012

Thank you very much for taking the time to review your recent experience at the Renaissance Brussels hotel. We are glad that you enjoyed the recently renovated rooms with modern equipment and amenities, as well as the famous Marriott bedding.
The location of our hotels is indeed excellent, being next to the major European Institutions and 5 minutes by foot away from the closest metro station. The square Luxembourg is also a two minute walk offering several bars and restaurants. We would like to thank you for your lovely comments regarding our staff, especially Joe who takes care of every guest needs. I am dismayed to hear that you were not able to have coffee in the bar sicne the machine had been already cleaned. This is not the Marriott service we strive to provide and I apologize for the inconvenience this might have caused. Please rest assures that I have shared your comments with the concerned Management team in order to improve accordingly. We look forward to welcoming you soon at the Renaissance Brussels Hotel.

Reviewed November 2, 2012

I have stayed at this hotel for business and was positively impressed by the design and comfort of the rooms - one of the best in Brussels. The location is close to the European Parliament and a couple of minutes from the airport bus, so very convenient if the purpose of the visit is related to the area. Excellent for business.

My dissatisfaction came with the restaurant offer, very bland dishes, some correct but definitely not tasty. The breakfast is also very unimaginative and bland, compared to that of other hotels in the EU area. This is a big minus, which might determine choosing another hotel which is top notch on this level also, not only in terms of room design and comfort. I also thought low of the number of staff at the reception during the top hours of the day - i waited about 15 minutes for checking in/checking out, a line of more than 6 people being formed. The staff, both at the reception and in the restaurant area is very helpful and attentive, and give credit to this.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed November 1, 2012

As a Priceline customer, I was greeted warmly and given a king room on a hi floor with a view of the EU. The room was very comfortable, with a great reading chair and large TV.

The front desk staff and concierge are extremely helpful. No matter what you ask, they will go out of the way to try to assist. I enjoyed their dinner suggestions, even though quite frankly, it's best to go closer to the city center for meals.

My only gripe is a very rude breakfast server. I noticed from the menu in the room that there were some very good a la carte items on the breakfast menu. Upon arriving at the restaurant, the hostess asked what I wanted to order. OK, that's unusual, but I had something in mind so let her know. I sat down, showed the waitress the form I had filled out to order, and she almost blew a gasket with me not knowing the proper procedure! There is a breakfast buffet, and if you order a la carte as I did, you're expected to go in and serve yourself this item. How on earth I was supposed to know this, I had no idea. needless to say, this was my first and last meal at the hotel. The lounge, however, was fine. I had an evening glass do wine on a few occasions.

Do stay here. If your stay includes breakfast - great - it looks wonderful. If not, be forewarned.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled solo

Many thanks for choosing Renaissance hotel for your stay in Brussels. We are happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us. We would like to thank you for your lovely comments concerning our front desk staff and concierge which were very helpful and provided all the necessary information along with suggestions and recommendations’. I was dismayed to hear your breakfast experience and apologize for the inconvenience this might have caused. This is not the Marriott service we strive to provide. Our aim is to make our guests feel at home and to provide the highest standard of service during their stay. Please rest assures that we will share these comments with the Management team and improve accordingly. We are glag you had the opportunity to take advantage of our club lounge offering breakfast in the morning and light snacks along with drinks in the evening time. This is an ideal way to finish off the day after a long day at work. We hope you will visit us next time you are in Brussels!

Reviewed November 1, 2012

Stayed in this hotel for two occassions visiting the EU quarter on business plus prolonging the weekend privatly as a couple.

The hotel is located conveniently to all EU buildings and is one of the few offering a swimmingpool in Brussels, which is very relaxing after a day of conferences or city sightseeing.

The breakfast buffet is large and nice. It can become quiet noisy in the breakfast buffet and lobby in the mornings as there seem to be a lot of business travellers. But the rooms are perfectly quiet.

• Stayed: December 2011, traveled on business

Many thanks for choosing Renaissance Brussels Hotel for your recent stay in Brussels and for taking the time to share your experience. The location of our hotels is indeed excellent, being next to the major European Institutions and 5 minutes by foot away from the closest metro station. We are glad to hear that you took advantage of our swimming which is a you mentioned a sort of gem as we are one of the few hotels in Brussels offering this service. Thank you for your lovely comments regarding our vast choice of breakfast and our quiet rooms. Please come visit us again!

Reviewed October 29, 2012

I stayed here for two nights during a short break to Brussels. The hotel has been furnished to a high standard, with the reception, bar and lounge very welcoming.

My room was equally well presented with a good sized bathroom and fantastic shower! The bar offered a good range of drinks and light meals, and breakfast in the restaurant was a good buffet with plenty of variety.

During my stay I made full use of the leisure facilities – pool and gym - which were clean and quiet. I specifically wanted to stay at a hotel with a good pool and wasn't disappointed.

The location was ideal: 2mins from the European Parliament, 5mins from the nearest Metro (Trone, lines 2&6 if you arrive at Midi on Eurostar) and 15/20mins to the centre via the Royal Palace. Other museums at the Parc du Cinquantenaire are within a short walk too. If you want to eat/drink locally there are plenty of bars and restaurants around Luxembourg Place.

I found the standards of service to be inconsistent. The reception staff were very helpful, but the breakfast and bar staff weren’t attentive or overly helpful. I’m sure this wasn’t deliberate, but the small things do make a difference and perhaps this is something which can be improved.

I would definitely stay here again and would recommend this hotel to others.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled solo
2  Thank persean

Many thanks for your reviews of the Renaissance Brussels hotel. We are very pleased that you enjoyed your stay with us and that the accommodation has exceeded your expectations. Indeed we are ideally located in the European Quarter, close to the Parliament and five minutes away on foot from the closet metro station. We are also 2 minute away from the Square Luxembourg which provides many restaurants and lively bars. Thank you for your comments regarding our reception staff that was very helpful. I am dismayed to hear that this was not the case for the restaurant staff. This is not the Marriott Service to strive to provide. Our aim is to make our guests feel at home and to provide the highest standard of service during their stay. We have taken your feedback as an opportunity to improve our spirit to serve. Please come visit us next time you will be in Brussels!

Reviewed October 28, 2012

Unlike, some other reviewers, we felt the hotel represented value for money .Ok, it's part of a chain, and feels a bit corporate. And the breakfast was being produced on an industrial scale But the rooms were big and comfortable and the breakfast had lots of choice. And it cost us the same or less on out holiday than other Belgian hotels that were far inferior.

The hotel is near the EU Parliament, and about 20-30 minute pleasant stroll from the centre. Or it is near metro lines to both the centre and the Gare du Midi.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple

Thank you very much for your recent stay at the Renaissance Brussels Hotel and for taking the time to share your comments and feedback. Thank you for your lovely comments about our rooms being big, clean and comfortable and also about our generous breakfast buffet. The location of our hotels is indeed excellent, being next to the major European Institutions and 5 minutes by foot away from the closest metro station.
We will be glad to welcome you again in our hotel in your future trips.

Reviewed October 25, 2012

Located right by the Parliament, the hotel is full of Eurocrats. Its clean and front desk staff were helpful, but the price I paid was very high for an unremarkable hotel. The pool and spa was tiny and dirty and crowded, the club breakfast was uninspiring and the room was fine but not memorable with a fairly small bathroom for the price. Limited TV channels too. The shower fixture was broken too.
There must be better business travel options in the city.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business

Many thanks for taking the time to share your experience at the Renaissance Brussels Hotel. Indeed we are located in the European Quarter, near the Parliament and a three minute walk from the square Luxembourg where you have transportation links for all over the city. We have recently renovated our rooms with modern equipment and amenities, as well as the famous Marriott bedding. We have changed our TV for LCD TV’s providing a variety of channels in several languages. We would like to thank you for your lovely comments regarding the cleanliness of the hotel and our front desk staff. I am dismayed to hear that your shower fixture was broken and that we did not exceed your expectations during your stay with us. We have taken your feedback as an opportunity to improve our spirit to serve. We hope you will visit us next time you are in Brussels.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Ixelles
Radisson RED Brussels
Hotel Metropole
#76 of 199 in Brussels
Brussels Marriott Hotel Grand Place
NH Collection Brussels Centre

Been to Renaissance Brussels Hotel? Share your experiences!