“Pure luxe” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Renaissance Brussels Hotel

Lowest prices for {0} - {1}
Enter dates for lowest prices
We check up to 200+ sites for the lowest hotel prices
Renaissance Brussels Hotel
Ranked #6 of 16 Hotels in Ixelles
Bredene, Belgium
“Pure luxe”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 23, 2012

This hotel is top of the bill. Pure luxury and a very nice staff. The rooms are very comfortable, clean and quiet. Nice swimming pool and fitness and in the morning, the breakfast buffet is a feast. There are a lot of restaurants in the neighbourhood and the Luxembourg square nearby has bars that are perfect for a party or for a last late night drink. Walking distance to the centre (1 Km) or take a bus. Safe area !

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Elodie B, Guest Relations Manager at Renaissance Brussels Hotel, responded to this review, September 25, 2012
Thank you very much for choosing Renaissance Brussels Hotel for your stay in Brussels. We were delighted to have you stay with us and have glad we exceeded your expectations. We would like to thank you for your lovely comments about the clean and comfortable rooms, the fitness area and our breakfast buffet. Indeed, the Renaissance Brussels Hotel is located in the European Quarter, next to the Place du Luxembourg where there are several restaurant and bars, and access to the bus taking you all over Brussels! Please come visit us next time you will be in Brussels!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (160)
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 21, 2012 via mobile

Upgraded to a very nice suite for the weekend. Very helpful staff and great facility! We did not use Workout facility but spoke to others who said it was top notch. Very pleased with the hotel, would indeed stay again. -- very nice weekend rate too!

Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
Many thanks for your lovely comments on the Renaissance Brussels Hotel including the helpful staff and great facility. We are happy that we exceeded your expectations and hope to have the opportunity to welcome you soon next time you are in Brussels!
NYC
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 18, 2012

Very nice well kept hotel.
It is located in a quite area, about 20 min
by foot from the city center.
We enjoyed our stay at the hotel.
The only negative thing as it was mentioned in the previous reviews is the
restaurant. We only had breakfast there but they defenetelly have to improve customer care and work on the food selection and food presentation.

• Stayed September 2012
1 Thank larisa_9
We would like to thank you for choosing Renaissance Brussels Hotel for your stay in Brussels and for taking the time to share your experience. We are glad that you enjoyed your stay with us. We would like to thank you for sharing you comments regarding the restaurant which we will definitely share with our F&B Management team. Please visit us again next time you are in Brussels!
Eindhoven, The Netherlands
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 11, 2012

This could be my 2nd review of this hotel after my last one of 2 years ago. I have to sadly say that I agree with every single observation from Mooneydriver. I have been a frequent visitor to this hotel since 2006. However, after 2008, the level at this hotel has been going down and has never improved. I can understand the cost cutting during the major downturn of 2008, but things never improved. Lost are all recognition of Elite members. Lounge opening was sporadic in between and this year, they have decided to close it in the weekends with NO non-alcholic drinks available even in the weekends. I see that they do not have any pre-arrival drinks anymore, no more chocolates at reception, not even any complimentary drink vouchers for elite.
During my last stay 2 weeks ago, that was one of the last straw. Totally no recognition as Elite nor returning guest. Lounge still close during the weekends. I used to use these weekends away as a relaxing weekend using also the fitness and swimming/sauna facility, but since the renovations which they thought was an improvement, I have also stopped using this.
The worst was the breakfast service, arrived > 1 hour before breakfast closing time, and nearly 1/2 the items were gone and I did not see any refill. Nearly every single eating utensils were gone and replaced just by one or two items per time. As mentioned by the last reviewer, it was impossible to get the attention of any staff to order anything (they cleverly avoid eye contact as much as possible, and in those rare times collecting used plates from your table, they do it so fast that you don't have time to get their attention). Breakfast offering has been reduced even further compared to the last time. The worst is that I did not see any of the what I expect breakfast supervisors doing anything to rectify the situation. There used to be a supervisor (which have been working since I began staying in 2006) and he was at least proactive in trying to make the best of a busy situation, but this time, nothing was done and it was not even as busy as the last few times I was here. I also noticed a lot of the normal morning crew gone and 90% were new ones. Even my travel mate whom is not so picky complained about the situation. My gut feeling of this change in management was confirmed when checking out. Complained to the front desk when checking out, but have not heard anything back. I was told to complain also to Customer Service of Marriott which I did not because truthfully, I have given up hope on this hotel. I think this hotel has reduced to Courtyard standard-type hotel.
The only positive aspect I can say about this property is the new lobby and finally new mattresses with updated interior decoration for the room!
For my future to Brussels, I will certainly move my business to either other Marriott properties or to the Hilton where service has been consistently good during my last few stays.
To the crew at Renaissance Brussel, please wake up!

Room Tip: Get one facing the inner court to reduce noise from the street. But in general rooms facing the str...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank nldogbert
Thank you for your recent stay at the Renaissance Brussels Hotel and for taking the time to share your experience with us. I am very dismayed to read your comments and I sincerely apologize for the inconveniences experienced. As an Elite member we value your loyalty and offer several benefits, for example free internet and access to our Club Lounge during the week offering a generous breakfast in the morning and light snacks in the evening. As the lounge is closed during the weekend we offer an alternative for our Elite member which is to enjoy a full American breakfast at the Parnasse restaurant.
Belgium treat is still offered upon check in and can vary from chocolates to refreshed drinks, sorry you missed it.
Please rest assured we reviewed all the points you mentioned with our new F&B management team. We were very disappointed to hear about the service you experienced at the restaurant for breakfast and even more disappointed to once again not have exceeded your expectations during your stay with us. In order to prevent this on occurring again we planned extra trainings to all our associates to help them being more familiar with the new setup at the restaurant, ensure a proper refill of the buffet and to provide a proactive and friendly service to all our guests. Our aim is to satisfy all individual needs and to ensure that all our guests will keep a most memorable experience with us.
Your feedbacks were very constructive for the improvement of our department and once again we thank you for raising these points with us. We hope to have the chance in welcoming you again and meeting personally in order to follow up on the improvement of the mentioned points and hopefully we will be able to exceed your expectations by showing you our Marriott Spirit. Please feel free to contact us directly and we will be delighted to arrange your stay with us.
Palo Alto, CA
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 1, 2012

I am a Marriott Platinum frequent guest (75+ nights a year), and I usually spend about a 100 nights a year in hotels. At this point, I don't need to be impressed by a hotel. I am perfectly happy with "unmemorable" experiences where nothing goes wrong and everything works without begging or prodding. Unfortunately, the Renaissance Brussels hotel failed my test a number of times over a three-night stay, largely due to housekeeping flaws. I won't stay there again, and I cannot recommend this hotel to other Marriott Elite members.

Here is what's good with this hotel:
* Location - quiet and safe neighborhood
* Personable, pleasant, and capable front desk staff, including supervisors Panos and Alexandre who took initiative and tried to fix issues to the best of their ability
* Nice parking garage (palacial by European standards)
* Smartly appointed rooms, including clean and up-to-date bathrooms
* Decent air-conditioning
* Shower curtains that don't spill water all over the bathroom
* Feather-free room request honored, and the bed done correctly (kudos to housekeeping on this issue).

Here is a list of the issues we encountered over three nights:
* Room not serviced one of the days. We left the room around 11 am and did not leave the "do not disturb" sign at the door, so it was not our fault. The room was finally done after we inquired in the evening, but the trash was not emptied.
* No Kleenex left in the bathroom two of the three nights - we had to call and ask for more.
* We were given a room next to a utility hall (and utility elevator) on our first night. Starting at 5:30 am, it was impossible to sleep due to pounding noises from that utility room. That was room 101. They did move us to another room after a half-sleepless night.
* It is rather difficult to find washcloths (face cloths) in this hotel. None was provided unless we asked, and even then it took multiple calls to get a couple.
* A broken safe in one of our two rooms.

Other negatives:
* Expensive restaurant with unimaginative food. For instance, the only salads available are four varieties of Caesar salad. That's great if you like raw egg whites in your salad (not everyone does).
* One of the least appealing breakfast buffets I've had in a European hotel. The pastries were stale - not what I expect in Belgium! Also, good luck hunting down an attendant to get coffee if the restaurant is busy.
* On our first night, the power went out for over an hour (may or may not be a hotel-related issue, but it resulted in a lot of noise and maintenance activity in the corridors, interfering with sleep).
* Flaky elevators that may or may not go in the direction you desire; doors that open and close repeatedly for no reason.
* Tiny Concierge Lounge, and it is not open over the weekends (technically the door is unlocked but there's nothing available).
* One has to have the parking ticket validated *every time* before leaving the garage. It's not rocket science, folks. Figure this out so that customers don't have to wait in line for ten minutes every morning for a front desk person to validate the parking ticket. It's a waste of everyone's time.

I realize that American hotel standards are hard to replicate in Europe, but our stay at the Renaissance Brussels was immediately preceded by a flawless experience at the Sheraton Hotel & Spa in Edinburgh, so I know that it is possible. The Renaissance Brussels needs to improve its housekeeping practices (and some of the facilities like the restaurant and elevators) before I would consider staying there again.

Room Tip: Avoid any room that starts with a 01 unless you are hearing-impaired.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
4 Thank Mooneydriver
Elodie B, Guest Relations Manager at Renaissance Brussels Hotel, responded to this review, September 6, 2012
Thank you very much for choosing Renaissance Brussels Hotel for your stay and for taking the time to share your feedback with us. We appreciate your lovely comments about our front desk staff, our rooms and our location. However I am disappointed to hear that we did not exceed your expectations during your stay mainly because your room was not done and replenished properly on a daily basis and the intolerable.
Concerning the restaurant we were very dismayed to read your comments and I sincerely apologize for the inconveniences experienced. Please rest assured we reviewed all the points you mentioned with our new F&B management team and Housekeeping team.
Our parking is mainly for our guests but also for outside clients. Our offer for free parking during weekend is available for our guests only therefore requiring us to keep control of all entries and exits. I certainly hope we will have the opportunity to welcome you soon at the Renaissance Brussels Hotel.
Grand Rapids, Michigan
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 20, 2012

My partner stays in hotels over 75 nights per year for business and a few more for leisure. Marriott is usually the hotel of choice thus we chose this one. Our stay was for 14 nights. We paid for the executive level for the lounge benefit and inclusion of internet. We were placed on a different floor with lounge access. The room was nicley furnished and clean but lacked adequate power outlets and adaptors for our electronics. The biggest problem was that the room was HOT! The hallways were unbelievably hot. Fortunately, the windows open but housekeeping kept shutting them when they serviced the room. We asked to have the problem rectified but apparently there was no way to turn off the heat fully. The lounge was very small but adequate. The food served was horrible and only beer and wine were free. The executive lounge also closes after breakfast on Friday until Sunday night. We were not told this at check in. We were allowed to go down to the dining room for breakfast on the weekend without charge but soft drinks and coffee were not available on the weekend. As a business traveller we do not always want to leave the hotel for a snack nor pay room service prices for a Coke when we had already paid 50€ additional for the executive room. Plus to do work you only have your room as an option. The biggest problem with this hotel is staff attitude. From check in to housekeeping, everything they do they do reluctantly. Our room was not cleaned on two days and when we called the front desk, they insisted we had a "do not disturb" sign out, which was not the case. Then only clean towels were sent after asking for them. Even the person manning the executive lounge was crabby. During 3 days of the stay a recruiting event was held on our floor with several desks nearly blocking the hallways and several rooms being used as interview rooms. Needless to say the noise level was unacceptable with interviewees blocking our room door and talking at my doorway. This reminded me of a cheap airport hotel. When checking out they do not give a itemized bill, just a summary. We were in a rush to get to the airport so did not realize this until we left. Sure enough they gave all our reward points to another's account. We phoned several times from the USA to get a copy of the bill to rectify the problem as Marriott Customer Service had no success in getting it for us. It took us over 5 months to get a copy. Every time we approached the front desk some rude interaction was observed.The only nice people here were the bell area men. When this lack of service occurs, it is usually extremely poor management. Which brings to mind that we never saw a manager during our entire stay, which is highly unusual. The hotel is in a terrific location. We must travel to Brussels on a regular basis now, but wiil not be staying at this hotel. Management needs to be replaced. Our room rate exceeded 249€ per night.

Room Tip: Ask for a courtyard view it is pleasant and quiet
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled on business
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank ZippyRoo
Thank you very much for your stay at the Renaissance Brussels hotel and for taking the time to share your feedback with us. I am very distraught to learn that the room temperature was not adjustable, I can imagine the disc. I was also dismayed to hear that your room was not serviced daily, as it should. This is not the Marriott service we strive to provide. We noticed that your stay was in December during a big event ‘Careers in Europe’ who used our rooms as interview rooms. After this event we decided not to host this group in our guest rooms but instead in our conference rooms, for the comfort of our guests. We regret to hear about the inconvenience you experienced by the general attitude of our associates and that not all information was provided to you about the Club Lounge upon check in. Please rest assured that we shared your comments amongst the management team to avoid this situation on occurring again in the future and to provide necessary training to our associates. Our aim is to satisfy all individual demands and needs, ensuring that all our valued guests will have a memorable experience. We hope to have the chance to exceed your expectations on your next trip to Brussels.
Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 20, 2012

The Renaissance Brussels is definitely a 5 star hotel located a little off the main tourist path in Brussels. Still within a 5 or 10 minute walk from multiple bus/metro stops, the hotel's nearest "major" attraction is the European Parliament and the Parliamentarium attraction. Luxembourg Place, right in front of the Pariliament complex has several restaurants/bars to choose from, and there are two convenience stores less than a block from the hotel which are great options to pick up inexpensive beverages/snacks to keep in the room.

Because it is located in a more "business" district, it is particularly quiet on the weekends, and the hotel runs specials providing free parking and free breakfasts with some room rates during that time. Unfortunately, its concierge level closes Friday night, but it does reopen for snacks Sunday evening with the concierge level breakfast option beginning again Monday morning.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank pbadeer
Elodie B, Guest Relations Manager at Renaissance Brussels Hotel, responded to this review, August 24, 2012
Many thanks for your feedback about your positive experience at the Renaissance Brussels Hotel! We are glad you have enjoyed your stay with us as well as the location of our hotel. We definitely look forward to welcome you again for your next visit in Brussels!
Also consider these accommodations in or near Ixelles
9Hotel Sablon
Thon Hotel EU
Thon Hotel EU
#13 of 200 in Brussels
4.5 of 5 bubbles 1,375 reviews

Been to Renaissance Brussels Hotel? Share your experiences!