“A nice hotel and generally a pleasant stay.”

Hotel Leopold Brussels
Ranked #5 of 15 Hotels in Ixelles
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed December 30, 2013

We arrived for a 40th birthday and to visit the Christmas Markets.
The staff we spoke to in reception throughout our stay were fantastic and happy to give advice on navigating the city and places to visit.
The room was clean and tidy. The bed was so comfortable that my wife would like to know where the mattresses are sourced.
Breakfast was lovely but chaotic at the same time. The minute you left the table to get food someone else would be seated. However we settled into that particular challenge each morning and the breakfast was nice. Get up early if you want the best food at breakfast.
We only ate on one evening in the hotel and hadn't booked. The restaurant manager / waiter moved a table and chairs to accommodate us, but made us feel less than welcome and more of an inconvenience than valued guests.
The restaurant was not busy. I had a burger and my wife a pasta dish. Being honest both dishes were poor in taste and quality of food. Thrown together rather than carefully prepared.
Its a shame because had the evening meal been good I would have graded the entire hotel experience higher. One member of staff let the rest down.
I would happily return I just wouldn't have dinner in the hotel.

• Stayed: November 2013
Leopold39, Manager at Hotel Leopold Brussels, responded to this reviewResponded January 3, 2014

Dear nw14
Thank you for your kind comments about your stay in our homely hotel. I am glad we exceeded your expectations.

The rooms are very comfortable and the beds more so! We have them made especially for us but if you want one, please contact us and we can arrange for a quote.

I think your comments about breakfast service are a little unfair. We do inform all our guests at check-in that the busiest period at weekends is between 0930 and 1000 and for a more comfortable and less rushed breakfast to come slightly before or slightly later. We continually refill all items on our huge buffet until the very end of service so there is no need to think you will miss out...

Thanks for your feedback about your experience in our wonderful brasserie. I am sorry you did not find everything to your satisfaction. However, we were actually massively busy the day you ate, so to say the restaurant was not full is not quite accurate. I must apologise if our staff did not make you feel welcome. Our F&B Manager remembers you and was not aware he gave the appearance of not wanting you...We do very much want all our clients to feel welcome and wanted !! Your food, as for all our meals was freshly prepared for you. The two dishes you had are our most popular. I have never heard them described as being thrown together before but we will make sure to keep an eye out that we are maintaining our very high standards.

We look forward to welcoming you back to Brussels soon.

Reviewed December 28, 2013

The neighbourhood of the hotel is well-served and it's near enough to the top sight-seeing spots in the centre of Brussels (which wasn't, for the record, anything like Birmingham, as someone had warned me). Our room was light and large enough to feel quite luxurious, especially as it also had a bath. Being over 6 feet tall, I was delighted to discover a double bed in which I felt I had room to spare. You can get BBC on the TV and thus kid yourself you've never left home! Also, there's tea available in the room. An unexpected touch. The staff (I agree about Jose's helpfulness Caroline M) were friendly and made good recommendations. Breakfast is the only thing I wouldn't exactly rave about, though it was adequate and ample. There's a great deal to suit all tastes but if you're a stickler for the cooked 'eggs & b' version, I wouldn't - regrettably - rate what's on offer too highly. Oh, and one final fussy thing: where was the butter? I know it's Belgium, NOT FRANCE, but hang it all, give me butter every time, please. I blame Napolean for margarine. He invented it, didn't he?! Wanted something for the troops that kept out East. Well, he can keep it.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Robin J
Leopold39, Manager at Hotel Leopold Brussels, responded to this reviewResponded December 31, 2013

Dear Jim41
Many thanks for your kind and very positive comments about your stay in our hotel.
We have been renovating rooms during the last year - not just a lick of paint but new beds, furniture and in some cases new walls, as well as new bathrooms. In most cases we have replaced baths with showers but still have 30 or so rooms with bath. We have had very positive feedback about the new beds so it was good to see that you were very comfortable.
We do try to make the hotel a home from home - so international TV channels (free) tea and coffee available in rooms and HP Sauce at breakfast seem to go down well.
We constantly monitor our breakfasts and make frequent changes and as you say there is something for everyone. I am sorry you didn't find the butter - we don't do the horrid little portions in plastic pots - we don't think it's very environmentally friendly nor particularly good quality but we do have a large pot for you to serve yourself from. It's on the cold section of the buffet for future reference :)
We look forward to welcoming you back to our beautiful city and to your home from home in Brussels.

Reviewed December 18, 2013

Good hotel near European Parliament. Staff very helpful especially Jose on reception. Breakfast very good and plentiful. Hotel was busy during our stay but not noisy at all. Very good sleep in comfy beds. We were in triple room which had not been refurbished but this was not a problem. Although decor was a little tired, room was very clean and spacious. Would definitely recommend.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank Caroline M
Leopold39, Manager at Hotel Leopold Brussels, responded to this reviewResponded December 23, 2013

Dear Caroline M
Thank you for taking the time to give your comments about your stay with us. As you say, location is great, the hotel is quiet and the beds comfortable. Your room had not been refurbished as you noticed but it is a large and comfortable space. We are refurbishing all the rooms over the next 18 months and are busy with 8 Executives at the moment.
I will pass on your positive remarks about our staff and particularly Jose.
We look forward to your next visit to Brussels.

Reviewed December 15, 2013 via mobile

Worst hotel ever! Room was not ready the day we arrived. They then decided to separate our group into different single rooms. The staff informed us that our room would be ready the next day. I waited to hear from the hotel the next morning, but did not hear from them. At 11:30 I went to the front desk to inquire about the new room. It was still not ready. I told the person at the front desk I would be out for the day and back at 6pm. He said no problem and well figure out the move then. I arrived back to the hotel at 6pm to find out all of my unpacked personal belonging were moved. I checked my phone and email, and had no missed contacts from the hotel. I was very upset to hear our unpacked personal belongings were moved without our permission from our temporary room. When I questioned the hotel staff, they responded with, it is already done. Please don't stay here if you want a relaxing and comfortable experience!

Stayed: December 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank ENagorner
Leopold39, Manager at Hotel Leopold Brussels, responded to this reviewResponded December 16, 2013

Dear ENagorner
I am sorry you were not satisfied with your experience at our professional, organised and homely hotel.
What is the point of your review exactly ?
The facts are a little different to your rant !
You were not in a group - you booked a twin room.
You arrived early morning and demanded to have your room. As is normal in every hotel in the world, check in is from 2pm. After all we do have to clean the rooms when clients check out at 12.
Due to a technical issue and the fact that our hotel was fully booked, we were unable to offer you your booked twin bedded room. However, we did give you 2 single rooms at no extra charge. You said to our staff that this was a better arrangement for you. We apologised for the inconvenience, offered you a free welcome drink and free wifi.
You did not leave your mobile phone number so it would be difficult for us to contact you.
We thought that moving your luggage to the correct room would be a helpful service to offer you...
To describe our hotel as 'the worst ever' is quite clearly a ridiculous comment and whilst I appreciate that we could have made a better fist of communicating with you, to resort to a savage attack on our business is like taking a hammer to kill an ant.
I hope that you do return to stay with us and we can show you what service and professionalism are all about. You would then be able to take advantage of the free room upgrade which you were offered by our Front Office Manager (with whom you had a long conversation at check out)

Reviewed December 13, 2013 via mobile

Three of us booked 3 days through railbookers. Looked rather shabby for a 4 star.
Got stuck in lift first night. Had to schlep up 3 floors and being a heart patient didnt help.
But fixed next day. Breakfast was good.
Kettle in room but not enough milk though.

Didnt eat there so can't rate food. Had brekkie only one day, liked it.
Wifi only available in lobby. Had to pay for it in the room. Not good enough for a 4 star. Id give it 3.
We were uograded to an 'apartment', which wasnt bad at all.

1  Thank Nadira J

Dear Nadira J
I would like to thank you for your comments regarding your stay with us but I am dumbstruck to read your slightly odd observations.
You really think our renovated suite rooms are shabby ? Maybe you didn't notice the the new (classy and expensive) wallpaper, carpets etc ? Or the new reception, lobby, brasserie/bar ?
Yes you did get stuck in one of our lifts for a short time. It is a safety feature that when you stand pressed up against a door, there are sensors that stop the lift, to prevent any injury. We did explain this to you. You didn't have to climb any stairs - a small wait of less than 1 minute and you would have been on your way. The lift was working immediately...not the next day as you suggest.
I am glad you enjoyed our breakfast. If, in future, you feel you are short of supplies in your room, may I suggest you just call Reception and they will deliver more (milk, shampoo etc) immediately...That's why our staff are here after all.
We charge for wifi in the rooms because we offer a high speed, professional connection with IT support. I know from experience of hundreds of hotels that free wifi generally means you cannot connect or if you can the speed is so slow as to be worthless. We offer a high speed free connection in our public areas.
You give us a 1 out of 5 rating, yet found our hotel 'not bad' ...
I am sorry that you did not feel at home and that we did not appear to meet your expectations, let alone exceed them and wish you luck finding the sort of hotel you are looking for in the future

Reviewed December 13, 2013

Good location, lovely room friendly and helpful staff but let down by the poor quality of food at breakfast. The fruit was tinned fruit salad. Cornflakes cheep hard stuff, bacon cheap fatty stuff badly cooked, even the croissants were dough and stodgie! We stayed Sat Sun and Mon. On the Monday there was a far better selection and quality of food at breakfast....smoked salmon, fresh fruit salad. We were up a little earlier on the Monday so maybe the better items are available each day if you are early to breakfast as they were not refilled. I would recommend the hotel but go to breakfast early.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank 50something54

Dear 50something54
Thanks very much for taking the time to give us some feedback about your stay with us. I am glad you had a great room and were well looked after by our staff.
I am sorry to hear that the breakfast wasn't to your taste. We certainly do not have different breakfasts depending on the time of arrival !! All our food is freshly prepared each morning and cooked in house. Our cereals are well known brands, the bacon is typical of what you will find in Europe (there is no UK style back bacon here!), and as you will appreciate different people like things cooked in different ways - next time just ask if you prefer it crispy, lightly cooked etc and we can react accordingly.
It is untrue that breakfast items are not refilled. It is one of my pet hates that if you come later to breakfast there is less choice. We refill all items until the last minute (and often beyond the official end of breakfast at 1030).
We review our breakfast each week and change items according to season and demand.
We look forward to welcoming you back the next time you visit Brussels.

Reviewed December 12, 2013

We were booked into the hotel Leopold as part of a Railbookers Eurostar break to Brussels. This was an 'overflow' as the primary hotel was full due to the offer. The hotel is away from the centre, near the European Parliament, so we used the underground to get there. Its been created from a number of buildings, so is a little quirky in terms of finding rooms.

The hotel is warm, friendly and very welcoming. It has the quality and all the facilities of an upmarket hotel and we were surprised given the price. Everywhere is well maintained and a refurbishment programme is underway, although our room didn't look like it needed it..

The room was very large, with a large comfortable bed, table and chairs plus large screen TV. The bathroom was also large and had all the usual toiletries. The room had a 'kitchenette' which was odd and we didn't use it.

The bar / bistro was excellent although pricey, but OK given the status of the hotel. Breakfast was a cosmopolitan mix of hot and cold dishes. I particularly liked the coffee machine.

The hotel is out of the centre and its about a half hour walk to the main tourist areas, or 10-15 minutes by tube.

Given the offer, this was a very good hotel; good value for money and although away from the centre the underground and public transport is excellent

Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank JohnBVGriffiths
Leopold39, Manager at Hotel Leopold Brussels, responded to this reviewResponded December 13, 2013

Dear JohnBVGriffiths
Great to read your very positive comments regarding your recent stay with us. Yes, we are a little quirky in many ways ! and very proud not t be part of an anonymous hotel chain.
We have spent the last year and a bit renovating the public areas - Reception, Bar/Brasserie, Lobby etc - and am glad you appreciated the warmth and friendliness...
The room you stayed in is due for renovations next week but I am pleased to read that you think it doesn't need it ! We have some long stay clients and they like the kitchenette but I can appreciate that it is not necessary for a weekend break.
I find the comment about the Brasserie being 'pricey' a little strange though - choosing 3 course (not the cheapest items either) with a glass of house wine is 26.40gbp. Is Swindon really that cheap, that you can find freshly cooked food for less ?
Glad you enjoyed the breakfast. We think it's a pretty good selection.
The hotel is in a great location for a weekend in Brussels. You describe it as 'out of the centre' - we are 1.9km from Grand Place which is technically the centre of Brussels but we have next to us: the European Parliament, the Magritte Museum, the Kings Palace etc etc. The other big advantage we have is that the streets are a lot quieter and more civilised, so you don't get drunken fights in front of our hotel at 2 in the morning !
We look forward to welcoming you back next time you are in Brussels

Also consider these accommodations in or near Ixelles
Radisson RED Brussels
Adagio Brussels Grand Place
Hotel Metropole
Hotel Metropole
#76 of 199 in Brussels

Been to Hotel Leopold Brussels? Share your experiences!