“weekend break”

GreenLeadersGold level
Cambridge, United Kingdom
“weekend break”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 12, 2013

My wife and i are just back from an enjoyable weekend break in this hotel. We saw an offer in the Times which was with AA getaway who were very helpful in finding the right times for us. The hotel is near the European Parliament and is quite expensive in the week - probably full of civil servants on expeces. However it is very good value at the weekend - we were upgraded to a junior suite - roomy and comfortable and the cost for three nights B&B with Eurostar was only £318 for the two of us. Very good range of choice -hot and cold - at breakfast and close to buses and Metro at Troon - though we walked into the centre - 20 mins - each day. Weather was good and hotel a great base to explore Brussels

Room Tip: rooms on 6th floor are very roomy and quiet
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Leopold39, Manager at Hotel Leopold Brussels, responded to this review, February 14, 2013
Dear David

Thank you for your kind words about our hotel. You are correct to say weekends and holiday are the best times to stay with us as leisure clients. We have some great deals direct and through tour operators like Driveline and Railbookers if you need a Eurostar package to Brussels.
We pride ourselves on our high quality breakfast with great choices. There is even a bottle of brown sauce hidden away for our British guests

We look forward to welcoming you back

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (136)
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
Ireland
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 3, 2013

Stayed here for one night on business. I chose this hotel because it was only 5 minutes from where my meeting was and the price was good for a 4-star hotel, (although it turned out that city tax was not included in the price quoted by the booking engine).

The room was ok, pretty small with out-dated decor but ok for one night. The bed was comfortable and everything was clean. A loud noise started up around 10 and I could not find the source. I eventually phoned reception who came to investigate and said it was coming from the air conditioning in the room above mine and there was nothing they could do. Luckily I had earplugs with me.

The breakfast was good and staff were friendly and helpful. The hotel was quiet that night so the chef cooked to order rather than putting hot food on the buffet - I liked that effort to avoid wasting food.

Hotels in Brussels are expensive during the week and this hotel was good value compared with other hotels in Brussels although the price did reflect that the rooms are not as nice as at some other 4-star hotels.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Leopold39, Manager at Hotel Leopold Brussels, responded to this review, February 5, 2013
Dear Dubbie99
Many thanks for your kind, thoughtful and honest review
I think you are right that we offer very good value for money. The other 4* hotels in the area are modern/new chain hotels. We are a family business that has been her for 35 years. With that comes the charm and warmth of an individual business and possibly some of the quirks of a small independent hotel !
If you book direct with us at the hotel by phone, our website booking engine or email we include city tax in the rates. The 3rd party booking websites also charge high commissions (to us) so contacting us direct will normally get you a better rate or a free upgrade at the very least
We also include breakfast in all our prices - most of the hotels in the area do not, so you need to be careful when making price comparisons
We are just completing the renovation of 5 rooms, so I hope you will be able to sample them when you come back to Brussels - hopefully you will think they are as nice as the other 4*s !
Utrecht, The Netherlands
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 27, 2013 via mobile

Although the location is great, there are far better places around for much lower prices. I stayed here twice and both rooms and bathrooms looked old, as if not maintained for years, and thus gave a dirty impression. The decoration is old-fashioned and boring. Not at all worth the high price.

• Stayed January 2013
Leopold39, Manager at Hotel Leopold Brussels, responded to this review, February 4, 2013
Dear Evelienlode
Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. I am disappointed that you did not find our decor to your taste. We do have a lot of photos of the hotel as it really is on our website and facebook page so you can see before you book
We have a new Reception in place now (just finished) and 5 new rooms will be open at the end of this week. We will be renovating another 20 in the Summer - these are in a classic style so you may still find them boring !!
As for price, we know we are the best priced hotel in the European Quarter - we know we check every hour to make sure we give the best value for money. Like all businesses, prices are higher in big demand periods and lower when demand is not so great
Maybe you will be back to try our new, not so boring room decoration ?
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 18, 2013

Stayed at Hotel Leopold for one night in Jan '13 for business. First impressions good - great location near to the European Parliament and very friendly staff. Received an upgrade to a 'Junior Suite' as hotel was busy so was very excited to see my room...

That's where the good impression ends unfortunately. The room itself was clean and neat, but absolutely freezing and not what I'd call a junior suite! It consisted of one room (albeit a decent size) and a bathroom. Since it was in the eaves of the building there was a pitched roof which I didn't mind, but did mean that most of the actual room size was lost. Anyway, I turned on the heating which was powered by the noisiest system I've ever heard (possibly because it was so ancient!), though this wasn't a problem until I went to sleep (when incidentally, it was a nightmare!). I purchased 24hrs Wifi access as I had a huge amount of work to do, only to find that it didn't work in my room. When I enquired at reception the staff were once again very helpful, and we thought the problem was fixed... Alas when I got back to my room it ceased to work so I had to do my work in the communal area downstairs (which was, unfortunately, right next to the lifts). Since my room was on the sixth floor I can only think that I was too far away from the hotel's router for it to work, though I don't think this is acceptable, particularly for a hotel in this location which is obviously going to be frequented by professionals travelling on business.

Suffice to stay I shall be requesting the far superior (and not much more costly) Stanhope Hotel around the corner next time!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Leopold39, Manager at Hotel Leopold Brussels, responded to this review, January 21, 2013
Dear Sammibmcg
Thank you for your positive review of our hotel. As so many customers find, we are ideally located for the European district and the historic centre of Brussels and pride ourselves on the high quality of our staff and service
I am sorry you had an issue with your wifi. We are in the process of installing a new system and still have a few teething problems. We have both free and payable wifi - the payable is very high speed and compatible with all the latest pc/mac and phone equipment. I have just verified that the wifi does work in the region where your room was located - we obviously have antenna all over the hotel, not just next to our router. We have a very comfortable bar/brasserie where you can work in peace and quiet without any lifts !
I am sorry that you do not wish to stay with us again, despite all the obvious benefits but am pleased that you think we are of a 5* standard, like the Stanhope...We are at least 25% better priced than the Stanhope as their rates do not include breakfast (+29 eur) nor city tax at 9.60 eur). Book with us and enjoy a huge and fresh buffet breakfast selection, with free wifi
Sospel, France
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 12, 2013

I arrived after a long trip for a one-night stay. I had prepaid and got a decent deal. But no deal on earth would have made this stay acceptable.

The Leopold hotel purports be a four star, but even after its renovations will be no better than a mediocre three star.

My room was small and poorly furnished. The shower head was one of those east European style jobs where the shower head hangs on a hook and slowly slips down to ensure the wall gets a good shower but you get nothing. The pillows were lumpy, overstuffed and unusable. The room was cold and the heater was noisy and ineffective.

But the worst of this awful experience was the powerful and pervasive stench of sewage, especially on the ground floor. It seems that the hotel is being 'renovated'. There is no warning of this on their website. The reception area is a mass of cables; the reception desk is a temporary table in a messy corner. The pictures on most of the walls hang at wild angles. Dirt and dust everywhere. Breakfast was accompanied by the penetrating sound of drills and other machines. Overall a ghastly experience. This hotel is a disgrace to the hospitality industry. Why are such establishments permitted to remain open during such disruptive renovations?

Room Tip: Avoid any room at any price unless they can assure you the renovations are complete.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Leopold39, Manager at Hotel Leopold Brussels, responded to this review, January 14, 2013
Dear Jeremy
Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. I am very sorry to hear that you were not satisfied with your stay. We aim for 100% customer satisfaction so it pains me when we don't get everything right
We have been doing a little bit of work to make the hotel even better for our guests and have received very positive feedback from all our other guests. The new Reception was being put in during your stay and there was a small amount of disruption on checkin/out. This work lasted 3 days and is now complete
We are also renovating 5 rooms above the Reception and these are also now nearly complete - just the decorating to do
Unfortunately we can do nothing to help make your stay more enjoyable now...all you needed was to ask at Reception, or at least say something to one of our staff and we could have fixed the problems. If you didn't like your room, there are 111 in the hotel and we were not busy the day you were here. More heating in your room ? No problem, extra heating could have been placed immediately. Different pillows ? Yes we can offer a choice!
Everyone has different tastes and needs. Letting us know what you wanted would have helped all of us and you
I am sorry to say, though, that some of your comments are wildly exaggerated. There is no smell of sewage on the ground floor or anywhere else, There are no pictures at wild angles. Our hotel is very clean and well looked after...Clearly this was not the hotel for you, for which I am sorry but a more honest and accurate appraisal of our hospitality would have done you no harm...
Bolton, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 2, 2013

The hotel is in an interesting area and easily accessible from the metro. We travelled wih Railbookers who organised everything very well. The rooms were comfortable and the food in the restaurant was very good. We travelled around a lot using the metro which was fst and clean. My only complaint would be not being able to mak a cup of coffee first hing in the morning on waking up

Room Tip: A oom on the corner provides a nice view of the parliament and excellent sunrises
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Leopold39, Manager at Hotel Leopold Brussels, responded to this review, January 4, 2013
Dear June
It was a pleasure to read your very favourable review of our hotel
As you say our location is ideal for a visit to Brussels - easily accessible by metro, bus and on foot
We do have kettles available for our customers, on demand - you just needed to ask at Reception and we will deliver one to your room...next time eh ? There is also coffee, tea and hot chocolate on tap for breakfast, that begins at 7am
Ipswich, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 29, 2012

Booked through Superbreak , travelled by Eurostar which was excellent.
We found the reception and other members of staff very welcoming and to be told we had been upgraded to an apartment was quite a bonus because its price was more than double what we paid.
The hotel was clean and tidy and well decorated for the festive season.The food was excellent, bar food , a la carte and breakfast also a reasonably priced bar.
It was a pleasant walk ,about 20 mins., past the Palace and through the park to the Grande Place and markets or you can get a bus or taxi from the door at a reasonable price.
In all we had a very relaxing informal 4 day break.

Room Tip: We had apartment 901, very roomy, but normally out of our price range.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank dbrummi
Leopold39, Manager at Hotel Leopold Brussels, responded to this review, December 31, 2012
Dear dbrummi
Great to have your feedback and that your stay with us was enjoyable
We always decorate the hotel for the different seasons and you can see some of the Christmas decor on our website
We have an excellent new menu in place and a busy restaurant/brasserie. In February we will be changing it again for our Spring style !
Looking forward to welcoming you back to Brussels
Also consider these accommodations in or near Ixelles
Radisson RED Brussels
Stanhope Hotel
Stanhope Hotel
#20 of 199 in Brussels
4.0 of 5 bubbles 1,197 reviews

Been to Hotel Leopold Brussels? Share your experiences!