“Great hotel. Recommended.”

Hotel Leopold Brussels
Ranked #6 of 15 Hotels in Ixelles
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed November 5, 2012 via mobile

We booked this trip through railbookers. The hotel is easy to get to from gare du midi via the metro, although beware of beggars and pickpockets on the underground!
The service we recieved at check in was second to none, and our room was more than adequate, with a walk in wardrobe, fridge and tv which showed BBC1.
The restaurant and bar were good, and the food was brilliant, however one of the waiters had a bit of an attitude about him, but we were soon taken care of by the restaurant manager, who provided a brilliant service.
Breakfast is superb, good quality food and plenty of it.
Only real improvement I would suggest would be to have wifi in the communal areas and a kettle in the rooms would also be good.
Generally we had a great stay.

• Stayed: November 2012
Leopold39, Manager at Hotel Leopold Brussels, responded to this reviewResponded November 6, 2012

Dear Gary
Great to hear you had an enjoyable stay with us and I was very please you were welcomed and well fed ! We have been getting some very positive feedback about our new menu
Sorry to hear that one of the staff seemed a bit off in the Restaurant. I have spoken with our F&B Manager and the staff there. I think there is a bit of a language barrier with a couple of them, so we are going to have a few courses in English and English humour!!
Thanks for the suggestions re WiFi and kettles. We do have a few kettles available at Reception so I will make this a bit more clear for our British customers and the WiFi system is going to be overhauled in the winter. We do offer free WiFi in the bar and brasserie...
Looking forward to welcoming you back

Write a ReviewReviews (1,019)

Reviewed October 30, 2012

Stayed for two nights in this hotel, after my stay in Brugge. I definitely would rate this 3 star not 4. The single room provided was basic but the bed was not made properly, i have to redo it myself as it's all crumpled and the bottom sheet was not tucked in. There is no flat sheet provided instead just a duvet thrown over the bed. The light above the sink in the bathroom keeps turning off by itself so it's a bit dim when your using the bathroom as the other small light is just near the door. And there's a smell of the sewer that comes up from time to time when you keep the bathroom door open . The other downside, there's no tea or coffee making facilities provided in the room.
The hotel decor is not really outstanding, the buffet breakfast was alright. The reception staff were pleasant and accommodating but some of the restaurant staff were a bit abrupt and have limited understanding if you only speak english. Overall my stay was comfortable and the hotel was in good location from the centre of Brussels. It's also near the train station and the Troon metro station.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank Blue-belle32
Leopold39, Manager at Hotel Leopold Brussels, responded to this reviewResponded November 2, 2012

Dear Riza

Thank you for taking the time to comment on our hotel. Your feedback is always useful to making our service better

I am sorry to disappoint you but the hotel is definitely a 4*. I am sure you will agree that star ratings given by professional associations are a more valid way of rating hotels than your opinions based on a short stay in 1 room

I was very disappointed to read that your bed was not made up correctly. A quick call to Reception and the Chambermaid would have come and redressed the bed. My apologies for the error. Again if a lamp was not working in your room a quick call and we would have replaced it immediately. There are over 3,000 lights in the hotel, so I am sure you can imagine that we always have one or two not working. We have replaced over half with new environmentally friendly LED lights which last for 3 years, so I hope this helps solve the problem!

It is true there are no tea or coffee facilities in the room. We do this to keep the price for the room the best we can and because we have a very comfortable bar with a range of teas and coffees. We can provide a kettle and cups on request

I was pleased to read that our staff gave you a warm welcome but not so happy that our Restaurant staff did not appear top of their game. I have spoken to the F&B Manager about how to improve this and we will have some training sessions next month

Thanks for the positive comments and the constructive criticism. We look forward to welcoming you back soon

Reviewed October 24, 2012

I stayed there for five nights the hotel was in a good location about 20 -25 minute walk from the centre of Brussels.The room was small simple but comfortable .The room was a twin room.The decor was aged.The breakfast was average some of the china was chipped some of the staff were rude.

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled as a couple
2  Thank RichardSmyth
Leopold39, Manager at Hotel Leopold Brussels, responded to this reviewResponded October 28, 2012

Dear Richard
Thank you for taking the time to write a review of our hotel
We are starting a program of renovation in the next weeks, so hopefully the next time you come the decor will be more to your taste
I beg to differ on your conclusion that the breakfast was average - we have improved the presentation, quality and choice of our huge hot and cold buffet breakfast to the point where all tastes are catered for. if there are specific items you think we are missing it would be great to have your feedback
The china we use is all brand new (less then 1 month old) so I am not sure what you are referring to as chipped - I inspected all crockery again this morning. There are no chipped, cracked or broken items
As to the staff being rude, of course it is always possible that someone had an off day or didn't respond as we would wish but to describe some of our staff as rude is not really credible. Have a look at all the other comments here and on other sites and you will see that it is the hotel's strong point that are staff are friendly, welcoming and helpful above and beyond expectations. If anyone was rude to you I would be very grateful if you could let me know who, why and how
We look forward to your next visit and to exceeding your expectations

Reviewed October 23, 2012

My husband and I stayed here a couple of weeks ago.We arrived quite late from Euro Star but we were welcomed on arrival by the 24 hour front desk staff. We had got a great deal with AA getaways so we weren't expecting too much - boy, were we suprised.

We were upgraded to an apartment and the apartment was HUGE. It had it's own little balcony, a full kitchen, dining table and lounge, everything you can ask for or need.

It was very comfortable and homely, albeit the bed was on the smaller side (a double and not queen size as most hotels have had that I've stayed in previously). The decor was a bit aged but I thought it added to the charm of the hotel.

The breakfast we had included in our stay was adequate with all the normal stuff you would expect from a hot/ cold buffet breakfast. The dining area was beautiful with a glass rooftop.

The staff were extemely friendly, always marking on the maps where we wanted to go and tell us the best way to get there - the hotel is about a 20-25 min walk from centre of brussels but it honestly doesn't feel that long.

Overall, we really enjoyed our stay and we would recommend this hotel to our friends :)

Room Tip: Ask for an apartment upgrade!
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Varshee
Leopold39, Manager at Hotel Leopold Brussels, responded to this reviewResponded October 24, 2012

Dear Varshee
Many thanks for your kind review of our hotel
It's always nice to be able to exceed expectations and we seem to have achieved that with you guys
We think we have the best staff in Brussels and unlike many hotels in the city really invest in them
As you found out we have some great rooms - large and comfy. Point taken about the bed...we are beginning a renovation program and will mention this to the architect
We look forward to welcoming you back soon

Reviewed October 21, 2012

If you are traveling on business and particuarly for the European Parilment dont hesistate booking this. A very short walk from the Pariment building. The rooms are simple but comfortable (Note: no tea or coffee making facilities). Brerakfast is excellent.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business
3  Thank Clive1954
Reviewed October 17, 2012

I was very disappointed with the service provided by the Leopopld Hotel. I was booked a double room (which I already paid) for single use but when I actually entered the room I was able to see that I was accommodated at the single room. Following this, I went to the reception and asked for the explanation for this mystake. At first, I was told by the receptionist that all double rooms are occupied in the hotel and that Gala Hotels did not provide the booking for me on time in oder to have a double room as indicated on the voucher. Later, after a few minutes, the staff of the Hotel Leopold informed me that there is actually one double room still free and that I can transfer to this room, which eventually I did. Beacuse of this described situation, I really felt as an unwanted guest at the hotel and that I have overpaid my accommodation at this hotel. On top of that, both of the rooms were not clean as I found somedy elses hair in the bathroom and on the bed.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business
Review collected in partnership with Galahotels.com
Leopold39, Manager at Hotel Leopold Brussels, responded to this reviewResponded October 19, 2012

Dear Ms Dresaj

I have sent you a personal message through your Tripadvisor account...

I am very sorry for the problems you encountered on your checkin to our hotel last Monday.
Although you booked at Gala Hotels, the reservation was made through an agency called Transhotel. By the time of your arrival we had not received the booking from them so you were not in our system. My colleague Delphine did her best to a find you a room - literally the last in the hotel and then was fortunate enough to be told that one of a group had cancelled their double room so we were able to give you the room you wanted directly.
I am very sorry if you didn't feel wanted by our staff. I can assure you that this is not the case. We are a private family run hotel and try to treat all our clients as individuals. Clearly this did not come across to you !
Please contact me directly (see message) the next time you come to Brussels and I will make sure you are looked after very well !!
Once more my apologies and I hope we can restore your faith in the Leopold Hotel Brussels EU

Reviewed October 17, 2012

Stayed here a few nights on business. Reading the other reviews, it seems this hotel must have very different types of rooms. My ‘double’ was small and basic, certainly not worth the high rate paid. The bathroom had a nasty smell of bad plumbing. When I arrived, my non-smoking room smelled of smoke. While the reception and restaurant could be classified as 4 star, my room was more like one in a 2 star hotel. Breakfast was good but very crowded: one often had to compete with other guests for space and some food items. On the positive side, the reception staff were friendly and efficient and the location is convenient for EU institutions. But next time I will stay in the city center again, where you can get a better room for half the price!

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled on business

Dear Joe
Thank you for taking the time to write of your time at the Leopold Hotel
Indeed you are correct, we do have a wide variety of room types. About 50% of the hotel is Standard Rooms and the rest upgrade ones - Executives, Junior Suites, Suites and Apartments. As I have mentioned in previous replies at booking you have the choice of 1) booking directly with the hotel or booking through a 3rd party. In order to get the room type you want it is always much better to book directly with the hotel; your choice 2) is the type of room you book - the cheapest will always be the smallest with the least facilities. If you bought a car and took the cheapest option you would not expect to have all the bells and whistles...it's the same in hotels
We have an excellent hot and cold buffet breakfast with fresh local produce, served from 7-10 during the week. If you take breakfast at 8-830, that's what everyone else does. I am sure when you go to work in the morning you don't expect the roads and trains to be empty ? To avoid the crowds we do offer a Room Service breakfast...
Prices in Brussels vary tremendously depending on when you come. If it's a European Summit period the hotels around the EU will have high prices - of it's a convention at the Square then the hotels next to Grand Place will have high prices
I am glad you were happy with your stay in general and that the staff made you feel welcome
We look forwarding to welcoming you back to our family run 4* hotel in the centre of Brussels

Also consider these accommodations in or near Ixelles
Radisson RED Brussels
Adagio Brussels Grand Place
Thon Hotel EU
Thon Hotel EU
#13 of 198 in Brussels

Been to Hotel Leopold Brussels? Share your experiences!