“Not truly 4 star, but friendly”

Hotel Leopold Brussels
Ranked #5 of 16 Hotels in Ixelles
GreenLeadersGold level
Rugby, United Kingdom
“Not truly 4 star, but friendly”
Reviewed September 30, 2012

Nice enough for a few days, don't expect luxury and you won't be disappointed.
Lifts need upgrade, only 1 working the time we were there.

The one very poor thing was that the hot breakfast items never were, in fact they were closer to cold than warm. This wasn't a one off, it was every day, however the amount and choice of other items couldn't be faulted.

The manager of this hotel appears to respond to all comments, however on the main he is defensive rather than taking critique on board with a view to improving, may I kindly suggest he re-evaluates his approach.

Room Tip: Book through railbookers and you get free room upgrades. Buy water from a shop, the prices in the ho...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
Leopold39, Manager at Hotel Leopold Brussels, responded to this review, October 1, 2012
Dear Jayne
Thank you for taking the time to post a review of our hotel and for your suggestions about how we can improve the hotel. We always welcome comments good and bad and do our best to improve facilities, service and quality
As you say we had a technical problem with one of the 7 seven lifts in the hotel for a period from 3pm to 12pm the following day. Two of our lifts do need upgrading and this is planned for January next year
We do have an exceptional breakfast choice, as you say and I am very disappointed to hear that the hot items were not...hot. I have asked Bart our F&B Manager to investigate. Did you mention it to any of our waiting staff?
I am very sorry to read that my responses are seen as defensive - that is certainly not the intention at all. I speak to as many customers as I can during their stay with us and respond to Tripadvisor comments as speedily and honestly as I can and have nothing to be defensive about...we have a great 4* hotel, with excellent staff and clean and tidy rooms

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (137)
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
Portsmouth, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 29, 2012

We stayed here end Sept for 3 nights rm 204. It was a very clean well equipped room. As a city hotelyou expect some traffic or external noise but pleasantly surprised this was minimal. The hotel staff were friendly and helpful. The hotel is in a good location just few min walk from metro and nice walking distance from many of the main sites. The breakfast was great lots of choice catering for all tastes and as much as you want.

Overall an excellent value hotel.

• Stayed September 2012
1 Thank damian p
Leopold39, Manager at Hotel Leopold Brussels, responded to this review, September 30, 2012
Dear Damian
Thanks for our kind and positive comments about the Leopold Hotel. We have rooms on the main street (luxemburgstraat) on the quiet side street (mariabourgondiastraat) and rooms at the rear of the hotel overlooking our garden terrace, so even the most sensitive to noise should find a room to suit
I was pleased to hear our staff are as helpful as ever and that the large buffet breakfast got you off to a good start each day
Looking forward to welcoming you back soon
Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 17, 2012

Just visited brussels. excellent hotel, staff very friendly and helpful, especially charlotte on reception. lovely girl. room very clean and comfortable. food was excellent . good choice and variation. will certainly stay again if in brussels.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Leopold39, Manager at Hotel Leopold Brussels, responded to this review, September 19, 2012
Dear Ian
Thanks for your kind comments about the hotel and our staff. We pride ourselves on our service and I am happy it came across to you
It's always good to have satisfied customers who want to come back - that's our best reference!
york
Reviewed September 10, 2012

Booked this via railbookers , very good value for Eurostar and hotel. The hotel was near The European Parliament, handy for metro and buses. Great hotel , warm and friendly staff, sufficent breakfasts too. We were given an apartment situated at the rear of the hotel , little on the old side , but hey regarding the price we paid , it was great. Ample room and with a kitchenette area too. Brussels was amazing , incredibly spacious , not at all crowded and modern and old blended well. We thoroughly enjoyed this short visit and would recommend it to friends. Access to metro and buses was very easy and a 72hr ticket costing 13 euros was fantastic value.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank dobbyYork
Leopold39, Manager at Hotel Leopold Brussels, responded to this review, September 12, 2012
Dear DobbyYork
Thanks a lot for taking the time to tell everyone about your enjoyable stay at the Leopold Hotel. We think we provide exceptional value for money and it seems you agree !!
Our staff are warm and welcoming, which we think is one of the most important things for guests coming to a strange city
The apartments that we have are indeed massive. I don't know any other hotels with suites this size and we offer them as standard to clients from Railbookers
I am happy you appreciated our great buffet breakfast - hot and cold dishes and plenty of choice. As I have been saying previously we have upgraded our breakfast considerably in the last few weeks - better quality and some added items, like local cheeses and bio products
Looking forward to welcoming you back next time, with a smile and our Leopold warm welcome
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 9, 2012

Nice stay overall. The hotel is rather dated yet clean. The location is good, not excellent. Having said this the metro is very easy to navigate and a two day ticket/travel card around Brussels costs only 10 euros! Transport was good. Breakfast was fairly standard, (hams, cheese, croissants, tinned fruits; some warm food consisting of boiled eggs, bacon, scrambled eggs beans so forth). The beds and pillows where both adequate; towels changed everyday. A small hindrance was that there were not any tea-making facilities in the room and the ironing boards/irons were placed outside the rooms on each floor for everyone to share – totally bizarre!. The staff at the Leopold were fantastic – very helpful and courteous.

I would recommend going to see the Grand Palace, (walking distance), it is beautiful. Parlamentarium was semi interesting...modern (a ‘nice to see’). There are fabulous chocolate shops dotted all over inner town, you can’t miss them! We visited the chocolate museum, it was okay; not really worth the 12 euros we paid for entry to be honest! St Michael Cathedral was stunning, and the Cantallon Brewary – very interesting!

We took a day trip to Bruges – totally recommended, it’s absolutely stunning, very peaceful and a day is more than enough to explore through the winding streets and lunch in style! I would recommend a canal boat ride, really pretty scenery.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Heena_11
Leopold39, Manager at Hotel Leopold Brussels, responded to this review, September 10, 2012
Dear Heena_11
It was a pleasure to read your honest review of the Leopold Hotel. I am very pleased to see that you enjoyed your stay with us
We give a very generous buffet breakfast of hot and cold dishes, which is much more than the norm in Europe. although I am still trying to track down Brown Sauce in Belgium!
We do not provide tea making facilities in the room as we have a very welcoming bar that serves an assortment of teas and coffee most of the day and night...However we are a 4* hotel so you just needed to ask at reception, where we keep a couple of kettles and some Earl Grey :)
I do agree the ironing boards are a source of amusement and a little quirky. It actually means clients get to iron things a bit quicker than having to wait for a member of staff to turn up with a portable version - check out "extreme ironing" if you are into ironing in weird places !
Again, many thanks for your kind comments about our staff. We think we have an exceptional team who go out of their way to be polite, helpful and friendly, so I am glad that came across to you
We look forward to seeing you again soon
Southend-on-Sea, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 9, 2012

On a railbookers deal it was good value. There has been some argument in earlier reviews as to whether it should be a four star - I would say three but no doubt the manager would be upset! In fact judging as a three star it would be quite good.
The staff were particularly helpful. The breakfast was busy with too much queing for the self service, but quite good with a resonable selection for a continental hotel - enough to keep most Brits happy.
The location is convenient for bus and tube, and on a fine day a 15 - 20 minute stroll to the city centre is pleasant.
The building and rooms are a little faded in parts, but it is a city building presumably added to and converted so that there have to be compromises.
Overall a reasonable hotel made better by pleasant and helpful staff.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear IFCUK
Many thanks for your kind review. I am pleased you enjoyed your stay and that our staff impressed you with their friendliness and helpfulness.
As to the star rating - the Leopold Hotel is indeed a 4* hotel and you would upset me greatly if you said we were a 3* !! The rating is given by the Tourist Authority and we have nothing to do with the decision. We certainly have larger than average rooms and a fully dedicated staff to provide a high level of service, way above most 4*s in the city.
As you noticed we have a great buffet breakfast spread, which as I write we are improving with better produce and more choice. As you point out there are busy times at the weekend, for breakfast - everyone wants to eat between 9 and 930. I think you will agree we can't do a lot about our guests choice of eating times :)
You are spot on with your summary of the hotel buildings. We have been family owned and run for the last 30 years, with new rooms being added over this period. We are starting a programme of room and reception improvements on Friday!
London
Reviewed September 4, 2012

Stayed for a short trip here with friends. When we arrived we were immediately upgraded to a suite and double room. Staff were helpful at breakfast and there was a good choice at breakfast. The only problem I had was, the hairdryer did not work in my room. I reported this on the Friday and after 4 calls and a visit to Reception, they finally supplied one on the Sunday morning (day of departure). Luckily my friends had a hairdryer that was working in their room (even though it meant me walking through the breakfast room on Saturday am with wet hair). Otherwise, this is a nice Hotel and I would stay here again. Restaurant is really nice although quite expensive. We did mention to the Manager that tea and coffee in the rooms would be nice. I know, this is a typically English thing, but we did say just do it for the English then!!!!

Room Tip: Rooms at the front of the Hotel can have a bit of noise from the main street outside.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
Leopold39, Manager at Hotel Leopold Brussels, responded to this review, September 5, 2012
Dear Karen
Many thanks for your kind and thoughtful review.It is always good to receive feedback and I remember speaking with you about the tea!! We shall make sure we have some kettles available for the Brits!
I am sorry about the delay in you getting a replacement hairdryer. I have had a word with the Reception team to make sure they act more promptly and we have bought some new replacement hairdryers to keep as extra, in case of emergency
As you noticed we are very proud of the exceptional service our staff provide - they are indeed friendly and welcoming. Our buffet breakfast really is quite extensive so I am glad you enjoyed it
As to the restaurant, we offer a high level of service and quality freshly made food and I am happy you appreciated it. I know there are cheaper restaurants around and I also know why they are cheaper - I see the frozen deliveries arriving there !
Also consider these accommodations in or near Ixelles
Radisson RED Brussels
Thon Hotel EU
Thon Hotel EU
#12 of 199 in Brussels
Renaissance Brussels Hotel

Been to Hotel Leopold Brussels? Share your experiences!