“Leopold - Lovely Hotel!”

Hotel Leopold Brussels
Ranked #6 of 15 Hotels in Ixelles
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed May 29, 2012

I always read peoples comments on TripAdvisor for all the hotels I have stayed at and I laugh to myself at peoples remarks! So I have finally decided to join and comment myself.

I visited Brussels 25th May - 29th May for my birthday. My mother had stayed the year previously and said very good comments about it so I decided to stay there also.

I arrived at the hotel and staff told me they had upgraded me, at first I thought it was maybe because they knew it was my birthday but no it was just a free update. We walked through the restaurant area to the sign saying apartments. I got into a tiny little lift and I was staying in room 905. The lift was my very own lift to my apartment!! Amazing!!

The room was huge, bigger than my own flat. The apartment was 2 floors with a spiral staircase, a bed upstairs and a double bed downstairs. There was a kitchen area and bathroom.

In response to other peoples comments
1) People have moaned about the noise and the windows not being sound proofed - Who really cares. Do u sleep at home in utter silence. I think not. From living in London the sound of people walking past makes a change from police sirens

2) People have moaned about the kitchen area. Did you pay to eat from the hotel room. No you came to visit Brussels and experience different food. You dont expect to sit and eat from the room do you? The kitchen area had glasses, plates and a fridge! More than enough

3) People have moaned about the bathroom. The bathroom was huge with a toilet and shower. What do you expect there to be, hot tub included with jacuzzi?

4) People have moaned about the breakfast...there was continental breakfast served ie croissants, ham, cheese and also hot food. Plenty of food! Seriously how much do people need to eat in the morning? This isnt america!

All in all I had a lovely time. I am so sick of people moaning. The hotel was a 10 min walk to the city centre, around the corner from the metro. Ideal place if you want to visit Brussels and have a moan free holiday.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled with friends
2  Thank LondonEmma2012
Write a ReviewReviews (1,019)

Reviewed May 25, 2012

This hotel is well situated between the new euro part of the city and the old part. the old center of the city is breath taking . The hotel leopold is quaint. the staff are exceptional, very friendly. Breakfast is good with lots of choice. the restaurant is also good, menu is limited, but that isn't a bad thing, they do what they do well. Get there early as it isn't so good later. I would be happy to recommend this hotel

Room Tip: a bit of a labyrinth don.t know where to choose
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed May 9, 2012

On arrival the staff were very attentive and extremely helpful! I asked for an upgrade and got a double room with minibar, plenty of wardrobes with spare blankets and pillows. The room was clean with fresh towels every day. The shower was powerful and never ran out of hot water. The TV worked and so did the central heating. The lifts also worked. Although I did not use the restaurant for evening meals as there was plenty of choice in the main square, the hotel bar was pleasant and efficient in the evening. The breakfast was excellent, with a good choice of cooked as well as cold food and the staff very efficient at all times. The breakfast atrium was also a nice room with plenty of natural light. This is a good hotel in a good location with Leopold square a hundred yards up the road where there are restaurants, taxis and even a small railway station that we were unaware of for a few days that got you to the battlefields of Waterloo in 20 minutes. A very worthwhile excursion.

Room Tip: Ask for a free upgrade!
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed May 4, 2012

We came to Brussels in the busiest season and this was the only available hotel near the Commission buildings we were supposed to work in. We booked single rooms. The cost was 200 EUR per room per night. I should have wondered why this hotel still had free rooms.... Well, when we came, I understood. The single room was literally 2 meters by 2, there was hardly a place for the bed and you could not really use the desk to work as there was hardly any space to sit down. I felt like in a cage or prison cell. Moreover, there were no amenities (shampoo etc) in the bathroom when I arrived. The room looked dusty and not really clean. The service was terrible: e.g. only when you complained you were told that there is a free wireless in a Busines Centre (well, a space 1 meter per 1 meter with a desk). Those who did not complain went on with a paid wireless. Outragous in the modern times. Breakfast was OK, but honestly a coffee from a machine is not what I would expect in a 4 star hotel in Brussels...

Room Tip: Never go for a single room!
Reviewed April 29, 2012

I stayed at Hotel Leopold for three nights on a business trip and was booked to a suite. This suite turned out to be a fairly large room with a small kitchenette with a balcony overlooking the rue du Luxembourg.

The decor of the room was reminiscent of a 2* conference centre. It had clearly not been updated for quite some years. The hotel would do well in taking inspiration from its modern and colourful logo and renovating the hotel to match it. The hair dryer in the room was one of those tube-things you find in public pools built in the 80s. The tube was hanging loose on both ends so it blowed hot air everywhere else except your hair.

The kitchenette was essentially a cupboard with a stove and a sink. There was no cutlery, pans or pots so I was puzzled as to why have a stove there to begin with. The electric outlet in the kitchenette didn't work so in order to work the kettle, you had to put it on the floor. The outlet next to the TV also didn't work.

The windows weren't soundproof so you could hear everything from the street. And the small balcony is pointless when it's overlooking an office block just across the street.

Like others have mentioned, the breakfast was ok but they did stop serving the hot foods after 9.

The hotel doesn't have fitness facilities nor any agreement with a local gym.

Internet cost 3e/hour or 10e/day which I thought was ridiculous when the price of the room was almost 400e/night. I stayed in Brussels when there was the Seafood Expo so all the hotels in the city were booked, hence the overpricing.

The only redeeming factor in the hotel was the staff who at least did their job. When I called about the hair dryer, they delivered me a new one in 10 minutes. Also the location is convenient if you're doing business with the parliament but still there are better hotels in the area - The Aloft for example is fantastic.

Overall, I wouldn't recommend staying at Hotel Leopold if you have an option to stay somewhere else.

Reviewed April 19, 2012

The executive room on the 3rd floor that I stayed in was large (including the bathroom) but the furniture and the carpet was worn. Also it was really cold and I couldn't really figure out how to turn the heating on - except in the bathroom. A plus for the two closets! Lots of space for haning your clothes.
The windows just opened to some kind of interior atrium. The building was a bit maze-like, it took a while to figure out which elevator to take to get to my room.
The location is really good, close to the metro, the airportbus and the European Parliament.
The breakfast was ok, lots of options to choose between, especially if you prefer a hot breakfast. But the pain au chocolat were doughy.
There is a kettle in the room but you have to place in on the floor to use it.
The staff however is very friendly and efficient!

Reviewed April 18, 2012

This hotel has a nice exterior and is very convenient for its proximity to the European Parliament. It's close to the express bus to the airport. It's an OK hotel if you are not planning to spend too much time in the hotel. The breakfast room is very nice and airy. Reception staff pleasant and helpful, but be very clear if you order a wake up call, as my wake up call for 30 minutes after the time I had ordered. The room itself is nothing fancy or beautiful, but the bed was comfortable enough.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled on business
Also consider these accommodations in or near Ixelles
Radisson RED Brussels
Adagio Brussels Grand Place
Thon Hotel EU
Thon Hotel EU
#13 of 198 in Brussels

Been to Hotel Leopold Brussels? Share your experiences!