“Try not to to inconvenience the staff with your customer-like behavior”
Review of Le Trappiste

Le Trappiste
Ranked #38 of 198 Restaurants in Ixelles
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed February 25, 2013

I'm sometimes forced frequent this establishment as some of my friends like to meet here out of convenience.

All of the waiters (save one or two) have a unique knack for making you feel like an unwelcome relative who decided to drop by unannounced and ruin their Sunday afternoon.

On one occasion, one of the waiters (who looks like a young Steve Buscemi) even decided to ridicule our group because we sat down at a table that he hadn't cleaned yet. After we sat down he left a smelly, dirty rag in the middle of the table to make some sort of point – he also made some sort of wise-crack that no one really understood. Maybe it’s just me, but I don’t think it’s good form to embarrass customers.

I still hesitate every time I open the door to Le Trappistes, and if I see the Steve Buscemi lookalike I head for the other side of the bar to avoid him.

3  Thank mikeinbxl

Reviewed January 23, 2013

The Trappiste is situated on one of Brussels' busy avenues, half-way between the trendy shops, galleries and cinemas on one side, and the teeming Matongué neighborhood on the other. The atmosphere is typical of the somewhat older city cafés, with oak panelling, mirrors and shiny brass. The public is varied, with people popping in for a quick drink (Belgian beer, mainly, of which there is an acceptable choice) before or after movies as well as couples coming in for a meal and tourists seeking to sample Belgian dishes. The food is decent, no frills, and the service correct.

Reviewed January 3, 2013

the first restaurant we went to in brussels, just a few doors down from our hotel, the food was very nice and the service very quick, but after paying €18 for moules frites we realised that you can get the same, in fact better, for €12 all over Brussels, especially if you go to Rue des Bouchers, literally hundreds of seafood restaurants in one street!

Reviewed November 29, 2012

I cannot comment on food as I've never eaten there, but it's a perfect place for a beer pre-post cinema. Nice atmosphere and nice servers. Good range of beers.

Reviewed November 27, 2012

Over a long weekend in Brussels, we ate twice at Le Trappiste. Both times we were very pleased with the quality of the food, the availability of typical Belgian dishes, the prompt service, and reasonable prices. The wine list is short but appropriately priced. The atmosphere in the evenings is buzzing without being too noisy. Overall, this is a nice informal place to have a meal.